Calories are not all equal and all things in moderation is a

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always took "everything in moderation" to mean "eat more good stuff than bad stuff, but you're not going to blow up like a balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade just because you eat something that's not exactly health food every once in a while."
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I always took "everything in moderation" to mean "eat more good stuff than bad stuff, but you're not going to blow up like a balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade just because you eat something that's not exactly health food every once in a while."

I take it to mean "a world without cheetos and caramel cremes is no world I want to live in" :-)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    So if it is not good for you, don't stick it in your face. Seems easy enough.

Bump... I've a reply to this, but a train to catch so I'm bumping for when I get home.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    “There are good foods and bad foods, and the advice should be to eat the good foods more and the bad foods less,” he said. “The notion that it’s O.K. to eat everything in moderation is just an excuse to eat whatever you want.”

Um, yeah...

Those sentences are contradictory! Moderation is relative... moderately eating celery is different than moderately eating twinkies. Furthermore, calories may not all be equal, but I live by the "wholesome, natural foods are the best calories rule" .. it's not really more complicated than that.

Besides, I don't buy into the majority of 'studies' out there - because studies can be skewed to support any theory. As long as everyone out there does what works best for them, and they get positive results, I don't see what difference it makes, anyway.
  • agthorn
    Options
    Moderation is relative... moderately eating celery is different than moderately eating twinkies.

And this sort of proves the point I'm trying to make...

So let's think about this a second. MFP tells me my maintenance calories before exercise are 1650. Let's say I love twinkies. Maybe I have a twinkie every day. 150 calories. But the rest of my diet is still in line, and I'm still eating my maintenance calorie level every day. I am maintaining my weight.

Then maybe I decide I don't like Hostess anymore, and I'm never eating another twinkie ever again. I replace my twinkie (150 calories) with 150 calories of celery. Wow, that's like 17 stalks of celery! But I'm still eating 1650 calories a day, and so I'm still maintaining my weight. Because 150 calories of twinkie provides the same caloric energy as 150 calories of celery.

But in reality, that's not how people make dietary changes. They stop eating the twinkie, and they eat a SERVING of celery (maybe 2 stalks, for 20 calories). They have made a positive dietary change (fewer twinkies and more vegetables) but in doing so they have reduced their caloric intake: they're consuming 130 calories fewer every day. Now I'm no longer maintaining my weight, but losing.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    alot of body builders change their diets up to show time, to reduce their body fat (usually reduce, or get rid of carbs, eat more protein, fibre) but keep the same amount of carbs.

It may be doable, may be achievable, however straight after showtime, they go back to their usual diets because they arent substainable for a long period of time, for most people.

A show i watched quite a while ago, showed that people who ate calsium (from diary sources) but kept their calories the same, got rid of more fat, im thinkign so hard about what it was called, i think it was on bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/slim/calcium.shtml

I took everything in moderation, as being bad in moderation and reduce it, but dont sweat it if you have a bad day. You shouldnt be afraid of food. Not moderate being one hand healthy, other hand unhealthy, eat both.

Floats boats come to mind.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Exactly. To me, "everything in moderation" does not mean I eat mostly unhealthy food and only care about the total calorie intake.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    myth. I suspect this will be a bitter pill for many to swallow because that dogma is so ingrained.

The NEJM study: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1014296#t=comments

NYT writeup: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

A segment of the NYT writeup:
    The new research, by five nutrition and public health experts at Harvard University, is by far the most detailed long-term analysis of the factors that influence weight gain, involving 120,877 well-educated men and women who were healthy and not obese at the start of the study. In addition to diet, it has important things to say about exercise, sleep, television watching, smoking and alcohol intake.

The study participants — nurses, doctors, dentists and veterinarians in the Nurses’ Health Study, Nurses’ Health Study II and the Health Professionals Follow-up Study — were followed for 12 to 20 years. Every two years, they completed very detailed questionnaires about their eating and other habits and current weight. The fascinating results were published in June in The New England Journal of Medicine.

The analysis examined how an array of factors influenced weight gain or loss during each four-year period of the study. The average participant gained 3.35 pounds every four years, for a total weight gain of 16.8 pounds in 20 years.

“This study shows that conventional wisdom — to eat everything in moderation, eat fewer calories and avoid fatty foods — isn’t the best approach,” Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health and lead author of the study, said in an interview. “What you eat makes quite a difference. Just counting calories won’t matter much unless you look at the kinds of calories you’re eating.”

Dr. Frank B. Hu, a nutrition expert at the Harvard School of Public Health and a co-author of the new analysis, said: “In the past, too much emphasis has been put on single factors in the diet. But looking for a magic bullet hasn’t solved the problem of obesity.”

Also untrue, Dr. Mozaffarian said, is the food industry’s claim that there’s no such thing as a bad food.

“There are good foods and bad foods, and the advice should be to eat the good foods more and the bad foods less,” he said. “The notion that it’s O.K. to eat everything in moderation is just an excuse to eat whatever you want.”
    Too bad it didn't mention anything about EXERCISE. While I don't doubt they gained weight, in 12-20 years your metabolism slows and you lose lean muscle. Makes sense you would gain weight if you burned less calories and ate the same amount of food each year.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I think anyone with some common sense knows that, if you eat junk food every day, even if you're within calories, you won't lose weight as effectively as if you eat primarily home cooked and healthy food. However, this does not mean that an occasional treat is a problem - and the article you've quoted doesn't actually suggest that it does.

Regardless of what the article says, in my experience, the occasional treat IS a problem. It depends on your metabolism & genetics, of course. But some people... perhaps many people... have an addiction to certain types of foods. The most famous is alcohol: it has been scientifically proven over and over that some people have a genetic predisposition that means they will get addicted to alcohol. And their only "cure" is to go cold turkey and never have another drop. But alcohol is not the only substance like that. My body can't handle carbs, so I've had to give up all breads, pastas, & starches. Cold turkey. If I let myself slip even once, I am miserable for several days and find it very difficult to get back on the wagon.

And I really HATE it when people keep repeating the mantras "calories in, calories out" or "a calorie is a calorie." Because that is simply not true! I did that for 20 years, I counted calories, avoided junk food, and ate less than I was burning. And for 20 years, I steadily gained weight. People, including my doctors, assumed I was lying about being good. It was incredibly frustrating to do everything "right" and still be judged as lazy, undisciplined and a liar.

It turns out that as long as too many of those calories were carbs, I was going to gain weight no matter how few calories I ate. When you look into the biochemistry, you'll see that your body treats carbs, fat and protein very differently. They all produce energy, but using completely different chemical reactions. So I think it's about time that someone is getting the word out that people need to pay attention to the KIND of calories we eat! So many people could be helped by simply adjusting their ratios of carbs - fat - protein to the correct ratio for their metabolism and body type. Once my doctor put me on 5% - 30% - 65%, I have been losing weight for the first time in my life.

Thanks so much for posting this & helping get the word out!
    A calorie is a calorie is the correct terminology since it's a measurement of energy. What's different in foods in macronutrient content.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

I take it to mean "a world without cheetos and caramel cremes is no world I want to live in" :-)

Agreed!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Besides, I don't buy into the majority of 'studies' out there - because studies can be skewed to support any theory. As long as everyone out there does what works best for them, and they get positive results, I don't see what difference it makes, anyway.

What's worse is the mis-representation of such studies by the media. Even the BBC is guilty of printing such stories without showing relative values that make better sense and better describe the risk.

It's important to watch our calories; it's equally as important to watch what types of foods we eat ensuring that it's balanced in terms of nutrients. You can live on Happy Meals but you'd probably stil be lacking some essential vitamins and minerals as well as consuming over processed sugars and flour.

Some people have food addictions and that's a shame. It's unfair... but hey those are the breaks.

I have a friend who only found out late in life that he's a coeliac (gluten intollerant) but the majority of us can learn to enjoy treats. I have found in the past that when I undertook restrictive diets that meant I couldn't have certain foods, I wanted them more and when I stopped the diet, I ended up guzzling more and more to compensate for all the months of deprivation.

Portion control is probably far more important that abstination, but at the end of the day, it's what works for you that works best. I could no more drink a protein shake or a smoothie than I could eat a bowl of tripe. I just don't like museli, nor wholemeal bread or pasta, nor brown rice, nor bean sprouts, nor tofu nor ... well the list is long. But I do like a variety of foodstufs from the devils food to the superfoods. Variety is the spice of life and moderation means that... keeping within healthy guidelines :smokin:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    posts like this make my *kitten* twitch
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    "Regardless of what the article says, in my experience, the occasional treat IS a problem. It depends on your metabolism & genetics, of course. But some people... perhaps many people... have an addiction to certain types of foods."

Surely this is a strong argument for learning to eat moderately, not for total avoidance. Total avoidance is how people ultimately end up crashing heavily off the wagon. Learning to manage food appropriately makes far more sense.

Total abstention isn't ultimately sustainable, I don't think - not in a society where temptation is everywhere. Learning to love your body, to feed it well, to treat yourself in non-food ways - these things are all key. But so too is learning how to manage just having a small piece of cake, and enjoying it without having to munch through mountains of the stuff.

I don't think this poster quite understands the concept of addiction. You can't tell an alcoholic that one little drink won't hurt her. Or tell a cocaine addict to just go ahead & do one little hit. Carbohydrate addiction is less publicized but no less real and no less an addiction. So please don't go around telling people that total avoidance is impossible, because for some people, it's necessary. The alcoholic DOES have to learn how to go out with friends who are drinking, and put up with the omnipresent billboards and commercials for booze. Just like I have had to learn to watch fast food commercials and go to restaurants and potlucks with my friends, without eating any carbs myself. It can be done, because it MUST be done.

And this isn't just some fad. My doctor ran a bunch of tests on my metabolism, and these are his orders. And I have met people who have eaten this way for over 12 years now because it is what keeps them healthy. I plan on eating this way for the rest of my life, and if that means I never eat another chocolate-chip cookie, then so be it. I'd rather give up certain foods than continue with the depression, low energy, and myriad of other health problems caused when I eat carbs. Now that I know what caused all my problems, my health is worth it.

I know that severe dietary restrictions are not for everyone; but I think my point, and the point of the original post, is that "all things in moderation" doesn't work for everyone either. Everyone's body is different, and you shouldn't criticize people or accuse them of being unhealthy just because they don't do what *you* do.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    AdAstra47 - Pardon my ignorance, but I really would like to understand....

You stated earlier that your body does not tolerate carbohydrates. You cannot have any carbs because even a small amount triggers issues with over-consumption. Is that correct? In essence, you are saying that because your body does not properly metabolize carbohydrates, and because you basically have an addiction to them, you will never touch another carb... and there are others like you, meaning that they either have an addiction or a biological aversion to carbs. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong...)

Now, if the above is correct - that would mean that there are carb addicts out there just like there are alcoholics. Psychologically, biologically, socially, they are driven by the same type of root causes, I'm willing to speculate.

If that is the case, then yes, someone with a carb addiction has to avoid carbs completely, learn to live without them, use tools to go out with friends and not indulge, even a little bit. But, just like with alcoholism, a great deal of people out there aren't alcoholics. Folks may over-indulge every now and then, might have one drink and then lose a little control and have five drinks while out with friends. They're not alcoholics, they just used poor judgement on some random Friday night. They show restraint most of the time, enjoy their drinks generally responsibly. They're not alcoholics, but they're not perfect and make dumb choices sometimes.

In conclusion: the average American dealing with weight loss probably doesn't have an addiction to carbs.. they make a decent amount of choices that have led them down an unhealthy path, and maybe they didn't learn proper nutrition. With education, practice, and application, they're able to eat all macro nutrients and learn to use moderation. Just like how the average college student has to learn that drinking too much on Sunday nights makes for difficult Monday classes.

This is how I understand the connection between carb addiction and alcoholism... not everyone is an alcoholic, so if they're not, they can learn good habits regarding alcohol, just like someone that doesn't have a carb addiction/aversion can learn to properly use carbs in their [healthy] diet.

If I'm totally off base or completely off my rocker, let me know ... but this is how I'm understanding things.
  • agthorn
    Options
    Too bad it didn't mention anything about EXERCISE. While I don't doubt they gained weight, in 12-20 years your metabolism slows and you lose lean muscle. Makes sense you would gain weight if you burned less calories and ate the same amount of food each year.

Actually, the original study did mention exercise (they also looked at sleep, TV habits, and alcohol consumption). But "exercise helps keep weight off" doesn't make for sexy headlines like "all calories are not equal" does.

"Across quintiles, participants with greater increases in physical activity gained 1.76 fewer pounds within each 4-year period. Absolute levels of physical activity, rather than changes in these levels, were not associated with weight change (data not shown). Overall, increases in alcohol use (per drink per day) were positively associated with weight change (0.41 lb), but heterogeneity was evident with respect to both the beverage type and the size and direction of changes in use (see the figure in the Supplementary Appendix). Sleep duration had a U-shaped association with weight gain, with greater weight gain occurring with less than 6 hours or more than 8 hours of sleep per night. Increases in time spent watching television (per hour per day) were independently associated with weight gain (0.31 lb, P<0.001)."
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Adastra, if the carbs thing is your addiction then yes, you can avoid it completely just like an alcoholic. But a far more common reason for weight gain and obesity is FOOD addiction - ultimately a person cannot avoid food forever so they HAVE to learn moderation, they have no choice.

I don't have the scientific knowledge to say if that article is accurate or not (I suspect not but that's just from personal experience) but taking on board the message that it's not okay to ever have a treat or a 'bad food' is a) sad and b) dangerous, especially if that becomes ingrained into our society and onto our children - I wouldn't want to raise kids who were terrified of an ice cream!

I totally admit that there is an obesity and overeating epidemic in Western society today - but who are we to judge and to claim to have it better? We are all here because food has, at some point in our lives, made us unhappy with our bodies. We are reliant on calorie counting and many people (myself included) are downright obsessive. How much better to be the middle of the road person who doesn't obsess over what nutrients they eat or how many calories but eats when they are hungry, stops when they are full and enjoys a full balanced diet, *including* the "bad" stuff. Those people, as long as they are active, will have no more of a weight problem than people who studiously avoid all sugars and carbohydrates forever.

I am not saying that either of these diets are a good thing but, just to illustrate that a calorie might be a calorie, regardless of what it is:
    * I once lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks eating just marshmallows and jellybabies
    * I maintained a significantly underweight bmi for nearly 2 years during which time I "saved" around 400 calories of my total intake of around 800-1200 just for fudge and icecream!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing most people have only read the NYT or Huffington Post summaries of the NEJM article.

From the NEJM article: "Total energy intake, biologic factors (e.g., blood pressure), and medications were not included as covariables because such factors could be mediators (in causal pathways) or direct correlates of mediators of the effects of lifestyle on weight gain."

Meaning: They DID NOT control for differences in calorie intake. The study was designed to look at CHANGES IN HABITS, not total calorie consumption.

"The dietary factors with the largest positive associations with weight changes, per serving per day, were increases in the consumption of potato chips (1.69 lb), potatoes (1.28 lb), sugar-sweetened beverages (1.00 lb), unprocessed red meats (0.95 lb), and processed meats (0.93 lb)."

"Inverse associations with weight gain, per serving per day, were seen for increased consumption of vegetables (−0.22 lb), whole grains (−0.37 lb), fruits (−0.49 lb), nuts (−0.57 lb), and yogurt (−0.82 lb)."

Meaning: People who INCREASED their consumption of chips and sugar-sweetened beverages also tended to increase their weight. People who INCREASED their consumption of fruits and vegetables also tended to decrease their weight.

In the end a calorie is still a calorie is still a calorie. But making positive CHANGES to your diet generally correlates in better health and weight loss. It's not rocket science. It's just science.

I read The Times' article on this but didn't realise they hadn't controlled for calorie consumption. If you are not counting calories and you up your consumption of chips, or whatever, you are not likely to subconsciously reduce other things, so your overall calories are likely to increase so you are likely to gain weight... So, without controlling for calories, this study tells us very little that doesn't mean the same as calories in v. calories out, which I feel is quite disappointing in such an in-depth study,

Thanks for clearing this up.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

In conclusion: the average American dealing with weight loss probably doesn't have an addiction to carbs.. they make a decent amount of choices that have led them down an unhealthy path, and maybe they didn't learn proper nutrition. With education, practice, and application, they're able to eat all macro nutrients and learn to use moderation. Just like how the average college student has to learn that drinking too much on Sunday nights makes for difficult Monday classes.

This is how I understand the connection between carb addiction and alcoholism... not everyone is an alcoholic, so if they're not, they can learn good habits regarding alcohol, just like someone that doesn't have a carb addiction/aversion can learn to properly use carbs in their [healthy] diet.

My point was that "all things in moderation" does not work for everyone and should not be taken as a Gospel Truth. For some people, being told that they must eat carbs in moderation is harmful and damaging.
    And to go back to the example of alcoholism, many people who are not alcoholics choose not to ever drink because they don't like what alcohol does to their bodies & minds. Many people who choose a low-carb diet are the same way: they may not have a health condition that actually makes carbs dangerous, but they have chosen to restrict themselves for other reasons. And, I say again, there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Yes, you CAN safely cut foods out of your diet entirely. It is not for everyone, but it is also not harmful. So the original post is correct, "all things in moderation" is a myth. If that philosophy works for you, that's great, but everyone is different. So my point is that people should not criticize others for not following their particular philosophy.
  • infamousmk
    Options

My point was that "all things in moderation" does not work for everyone and should not be taken as a Gospel Truth. For some people, being told that they must eat carbs in moderation is harmful and damaging.
    And to go back to the example of alcoholism, many people who are not alcoholics choose not to ever drink because they don't like what alcohol does to their bodies & minds. Many people who choose a low-carb diet are the same way: they may not have a health condition that actually makes carbs dangerous, but they have chosen to restrict themselves for other reasons. And, I say again, there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Yes, you CAN safely cut foods out of your diet entirely. It is not for everyone, but it is also not harmful. So the original post is correct, "all things in moderation" is a myth. If that philosophy works for you, that's great, but everyone is different. So my point is that people should not criticize others for not following their particular philosophy.

Okay, I agree with you that not everyone can do all things in moderation - but that doesn't make the concept of moderation a myth. Calling it a myth implies that it's hearsay, untrue, and does not work. Which is untrue. For many, many people, moderation of ALL macronutrients and treats DOES work. So, until someone discovers through life experiences or medical tests that they are unable to consume something in moderation, I will continue to suggest that everyone enjoy treats, carbs, alcohol and everything else out there in moderation.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    An average gain of 3 or so pounds every 4 years is kind of below average, isn't it? I thought on average people gain about 5 pounds per year.