Daily calorie intake not enough?

I set my daily calorie intake to 1500, at first it was difficult to stay under. Now I’m under. With exercise I get about 1200-1300 a day and I feel satisfied. Will this hinder my weight loss? Thank you do any advice!

Replies

• dmcgreevy2013
    dmcgreevy2013 Posts: 9 Member
    I am 5.6 and weigh 190. My goal is 150 pounds. I think my fitness pal had the calorie goal as 2,000. But I thought that was generic and changed it to 1,500. Maybe I was wrong in doing that. I lose about 300 to 500 caleries at the gym and try to to go 3-4 times a week. With exercise and calories intake I am not getting the 1500 a day. I can eat more if I need too, but I feel satisfied. I don’t know if it’s drinking lots of water and the raw organic meal replacement shake I have once a day that makes me feel full. So am I hindering my weight loss? I find that after my workouts in the evenings I don’t have much of an appetite either... so I’ll eat something with a lot of protein like a shake (if I didn’t have one in the morning already) or chicken breast.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I am 5.6 and weigh 190. My goal is 150 pounds. I think my fitness pal had the calorie goal as 2,000. But I thought that was generic and changed it to 1,500. Maybe I was wrong in doing that. I lose about 300 to 500 caleries at the gym and try to to go 3-4 times a week. With exercise and calories intake I am not getting the 1500 a day. I can eat more if I need too, but I feel satisfied. I don’t know if it’s drinking lots of water and the raw organic meal replacement shake I have once a day that makes me feel full. So am I hindering my weight loss? I find that after my workouts in the evenings I don’t have much of an appetite either... so I’ll eat something with a lot of protein like a shake (if I didn’t have one in the morning already) or chicken breast.

how many calories is the replacement shake?

peanut butter and other calorie dense foods are your friend if you want calories for not much volume.
  • dmcgreevy2013
    The meal replacement shake is 120 calories
  • TavistockToad
    The meal replacement shake is 120 calories

So replace that with something more calorific to start with, you're making life harder than it needs to be!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited August 2018

Well, it wouldn't be generic. Closest MFP gets to that is giving a lot of people 1200 calorie goals because it won't allow them to go lower and they've set aggressive deficits (i.e. told MFP they wanted to lose 2lbs/week when they're short and 20 lbs overweight, for example. That would mean eating 1,000 calories below maintenance. And if that number is under 1200, MFP will tell them 1200 and it will tell them how much they can expect to lose per week, so there's no subterfuge there.)

You don't hinder your weight loss by eating too little per se. Your body won't hold onto fat in a deficit. What CAN happen is that if you're undereating, it'll catch up with your body. You'll have less energy, so you won't be burning as much in your workouts. And your hunger signals will get stronger, which could trigger overeating.

How much did you tell MFP you want to lose per week?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

You aren't hindering your weight loss. That doesn't mean it's a good idea though!

If you put your correct stats and your weight loss goal into MFP, it wouldn't give you a generic calorie goal. But 2000 does seem high. Double check that your profile is set up correctly.

Are you using a food scale for all solids (including protein powder) and measuring liquids carefully? If not, you are most likely eating more than you think. It's never a bad time to tighten up your logging :smile:

If you just started within the last week or so, it can take a little time for your body and your appetite to catch up with a new way of eating, so if you are really eating too little, you should start to get hungry and start dropping weight too quickly soon.

Finally, IMHO it is really important to use this time to figure out how to eat for the rest of your life, not just to lose weight. Lots of people manage to lose weight, very few maintain, and that is often because they "diet" to lose weight and then don't know how to eat to maintain. If your shakes are keeping you from eating enough calories, maybe you should just eat a meal instead?

You do need a minimum amount of calories to fuel your body and get enough nutrition. Losing weight too fast will be your clue. Good luck!
  • Stevenmcdonald12
    Stevenmcdonald12 Posts: 1 Member
    Just started this week and finding it ok. My biggest vice was Lucozade and fizzy drinks. I've gone 5 days no Lucozade but still a few diet cokes. Is that allowed or will it hinder weight loss? I've increased my egg intake and found they really help make you feel full. Have had zero take away or chocolate for 5 days so feeling proud. Want to do maybe 2-3 weeks focussing solely on diet before returning to the gym.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Just started this week and finding it ok. My biggest vice was Lucozade and fizzy drinks. I've gone 5 days no Lucozade but still a few diet cokes. Is that allowed or will it hinder weight loss? I've increased my egg intake and found they really help make you feel full. Have had zero take away or chocolate for 5 days so feeling proud. Want to do maybe 2-3 weeks focussing solely on diet before returning to the gym.

Welcome to the community!

It's considered bad form to hijack someone else's thread. Start a new thread and you'll get some good responses.
  • dmcgreevy2013
    Well, it wouldn't be generic. Closest MFP gets to that is giving a lot of people 1200 calorie goals because it won't allow them to go lower and they've set aggressive deficits (i.e. told MFP they wanted to lose 2lbs/week when they're short and 20 lbs overweight, for example. That would mean eating 1,000 calories below maintenance. And if that number is under 1200, MFP will tell them 1200 and it will tell them how much they can expect to lose per week, so there's no subterfuge there.)

You don't hinder your weight loss by eating too little per se. Your body won't hold onto fat in a deficit. What CAN happen is that if you're undereating, it'll catch up with your body. You'll have less energy, so you won't be burning as much in your workouts. And your hunger signals will get stronger, which could trigger overeating.

I think I but 2 or 2 1/2 pounds a week for weight loss
  • TavistockToad

MFP doesn't let you set 2.5lb per week for weight loss
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    dmcgreevy2013, I realize the meal replacement shake is working for you now. But, is it something you want to do for the rest of your life? One advantage to working the MFP plan is learning how and what to eat to lose weight and, later, to maintain weight. I'd recommend you eliminate the shake and eat a "real" meal. That will increase your overall calories and help you learn what works with your body. Good Luck! :smiley:
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    dmcgreevy2013 I second what cesse47 says. I think the meal replacement shakes are good initially to kind of jump start your weight loss, but you want to focus on lifestyle maintenance. I did meal replacement shakes for about 5 months for breakfast and for lunch but that was only because I had to lose 60lbs within that time to get surgery. Now I still do shakes for breakfast but I do small healthy lunches around 300 calories, healthy snacks around 100 calories 2x a day and then a sensible dinner. But weight loss is so variant, you have to find what works for you physically and mentally.

Good luck!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member

This is what I was going to say. Also I've heard (though I am not sure it's entirely true), the greater the deficit, the higher the ratio of muscle loss to fat loss will be. When we go on a deficit, our bodies lose both fat an muscle. The lower our calories, the body may lose slightly more muscle than at a higher calorie intake.

Even if that is not true (sorry I'm unsure), since we lose both fat and muscle, it's beneficial to do a weight resistance program while eating at a deficit to minimize muscle loss.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member

With only 40 lbs to lose, 1 lb/week is an appropriate goal. Definitely no more than 1.5.