Keto

Options
Megdmcda
Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
So I started keto about five days ago, and I'm a bit confused about something. Alot of the recipes I'm finding have ingredients in them that have sugar but will say 0 g of added sugar. Being as it's suppose to be no sugar why do these ingredients have sugar.. like I've seen alot w cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, almond milk, one w marinera sauce. They all have sugar but say 0 added sugar. So are these gonna mess me up?? Btw. I don't want anyone telling me not to do the keto diet. I'm fully aware that some don't believe it or agree w it. I only want answers from those doing keto and know a bit more than me

Replies

• Megdmcda
    Options
    Ok thank u. That's what I was thinking but wanted to double check. I haven't gone over my carb limit at all at 20. I've lost ten lbs of water weight this past week
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Things like cheese and cream have Lactose, which is a sugar. Pasta sauces have naturally occurring sugars in the veggies. Like pp said, Keto isn't about being sugar free, it's about keeping your carbs within a certain range.
  • diannegsims
    diannegsims Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Having "sugar" and "added sugar" doesn't mean the same thing.
    You really should watch your "macros" also. You can set those in nutrition.

I've only been doing keto for 1 week (9lbs gone!) But I like it - a lot
    I have mine set at 70%fat, 25% protein, 5% carbs
  • Megdmcda
    Options
    i didnt even realized i mispelled that. lol i know* sugar is a no no lol
  • vlsoular
    vlsoular Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Keto for almost 4 months. Everyone is different, but I have not once been knocked out of ketosis. I am totally 'dirty' keto and I do indulge now and then. I did over 200g of total carbs on our anniversary, did not come out of ketosis. I've lost 24 pounds so far. Also, for what it's worth, keto flu is NOT inevitable and it is preventable and treatable. I hate that so many people don't know that. Keto flu is electrolyte imbalance. You need to supplement your electrolytes in this WOE/WOL. Mainly magnesium, potassium, sodium and calcium. Muscle cramps and headaches, nausea, etc are all caused by that.
  • Megdmcda
    Options
    vlsoular wrote: »
    I've been doing Keto for almost 4 months. Everyone is different, but I have not once been knocked out of ketosis. I am totally 'dirty' keto and I do indulge now and then. I did over 200g of total carbs on our anniversary, did not come out of ketosis. I've lost 24 pounds so far. Also, for what it's worth, keto flu is NOT inevitable and it is preventable and treatable. I hate that so many people don't know that. Keto flu is electrolyte imbalance. You need to supplement your electrolytes in this WOE/WOL. Mainly magnesium, potassium, sodium and calcium. Muscle cramps and headaches, nausea, etc are all caused by that.

yeah i learned that about the keto flu and ive kept the symptoms away since then. i actually threw up at the end of day 3. i had fatigue, headache nausea, shaking.. couldn't eat i was feeling so bad, and then got overheated and got sick. so i looked it up and learned about the imbalance... and now i drink salt water and and electrolyte mix drink.
  • Megdmcda
    Options
    My problem w the calories if I don't watch them and only my macros I end up eating less than 1000
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,998 Member
    Options
    Megdmcda wrote: »
    My problem w the calories if I don't watch them and only my macros I end up eating less than 1000

Then it's time for a "fat bomb."
  • Megdmcda
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

that is true. don't have a lot of ingredients for a lot I see just yet.

ive lost cravings. and wont think to eat anymore until my stomach growls at me. but I try to eat at least the 3 meals a day. even if its something small. if I can manage to get over at least 1000 then I don't stress too much about it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

ive lost cravings. and wont think to eat anymore until my stomach growls at me. but I try to eat at least the 3 meals a day. even if its something small. if I can manage to get over at least 1000 then I don't stress too much about it.

Where I would be concerned is if you can't hit protein goals, which should be 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. Super important when it comes to maintaining or minimizing muscle loss and maintaining or minimizing the impacts of metabolic slow down. Which this is something not stressed very often with keto.
  • Megdmcda
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Where I would be concerned is if you can't hit protein goals, which should be 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. Super important when it comes to maintaining or minimizing muscle loss and maintaining or minimizing the impacts of metabolic slow down. Which this is something not stressed very often with keto.

I usually do. protein is generally the one I go over on.. so much so much so I did more research and saw I could eat up to 100g.. whereas at first it was 75.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I usually do. protein is generally the one I go over on.. so much so much so I did more research and saw I could eat up to 100g.. whereas at first it was 75.

There really isn't much of a top end for protein. So depending on what your stats and how active you are, you may even need more than 100g of protein.