How tall should you be?

Options
I stumbled over this on healthunlocked and thought it could be fun to share, maybe get a new perspective. Your BMI is your weight in kilos divided by your height in cm squared. (I'm sure there's a formula for pounds and inches too - but there's always the online calculator: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator). A healthy BMI is 18.5 to 25.

So, at my highest recorded weight, I was 80 kg/177 pounds. I am 161 cm/5'3", and would have had to be 179 cm/5'10" in order to not be overweight at that weight.

What about you?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    5' 10" for me too! I am 5'4" and topped out at 145/150.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I would have needed to be like 7’1 ish to not be considered overweight at my heaviest.

I’m 5’4.5”. :laugh:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If I was 5" taller I would not be overweight.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I would have had to be 5'1 to be at the very top of a normal BMI when I started.

Oops, I was 5'1 when I started. Still am by the way.

Sorry, that was no fun. :(

Cheers, h.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and ~143 pounds today.

Using my high weight of 320, I'd need to be 7'11" for Healthy.

Using my starting MFP weight of 285.6 (which was actually a few days before I found MFP but the start of that weight loss effort), 7'6".

Coming from right now, I could shrink to 5'4" and still be in the Healthy range.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My highest weight, I never got on a scale. But based on circumstances at the time, I would guess at least 235lb. At that weight, I would have to be 6'10" Tallest guy I've met in person was 6'9" he had a hard time fitting through and into things and he wasn't overweight. Fortunately, I'm lighter now (but still short).
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Oh,oh, I have just done some BMI checking and if I doubled my weight I could be 6'3. Same height as my SO, but 15 lbs lighter :D

(It would take me from ~100 to 200 lbs.)

Cheers, h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    At my highest ever weight (failed intuitive eating experiment!) I would have had to be 6'5 to get a BMI of 24.9

As an aside I'm 5'9 but when I had my lung capacity tested the Doctor said I had the lungs of someone 6'3 - shame I didn't get their legs as well as their lungs... :(
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I wish i was 5'4" or so but I'm 5'10"
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    At my lowest weight 6'. I'm 5'6.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    Apparently I used to be 7 feet 5" tall (226cm).
    I am now back to being 5ft 7.79" (172.2cm)
    Or it could be that I just was much wider!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    7' 3" to be considered average BMI.

BMI does take into consideration I have a lot of muscle mass and quite low body fat at 6'3 107kg/236lbs. BMI considers me borderline obese even though I'm probably considered in the top percentile in my fitness and strength for my age. Big whoop.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    7' 3" to be considered average BMI.

BMI does take into consideration I have a lot of muscle mass and quite low body fat at 6'3 107kg/236lbs. BMI considers me borderline obese even though I'm probably considered in the top percentile in my fitness and strength for my age. Big whoop.

And you are one of the few people that says they are borderline obese with a lot of muscle that I actually believe. :)

Cheers, h.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I would like to be 5'8" and all in the legs.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight I would have had to be 7'1" to be just inside the normal range. That's kind of sad considering I'm barely 5'1".
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight I would have had to be 6’1”!
    (I’m 5’2.5)
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wait... You mean after buying all this new clothes, now I'm going to get taller and have to shop AGAIN?@!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    jeffjeff85 wrote: »
    Wait... You mean after buying all this new clothes, now I'm going to get taller and have to shop AGAIN?@!

It's that or lose some weight. I like being 5'2" so I know which one I'm aiming for.