Apetite supression?

Options
I'm the girl who gets upset + eats until I feel better. I always do this and enough is enough.

Has anyone tried to take and appetite suppressants? I'm considering this.
I just eat too much and feel like it may help me to take this for about a month while I get used to modifying/restricted diet. After that, I'm hoping my body adjusts and I won't feel like I'm dying of starvation.

anyone try this? have tips? recommendations?

-tired of using food as a crutch

Replies

• purpledream89
    purpledream89 Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks for everyone who commented ;)
    Its cravings for random things all day long. When i get sad it just intensifies.

I actually feel hungry but i think my body is lying to me. I eat enough everyday. well over 2000 cals. Maybe perhaps i dont eat the right things but i do try to incorperate veggies into it where i can.... esp veggie pizza >:)

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I stress/upset eat as well. I used to QUICKLY grab something to munch on, usually high fat high carb junk. The only advice I have is slow down and more importantly I found that increasing my workout at the gym burned off a lot of stress, and relaxed me.
    It also gives you extra calories to work with. I don't stress eat as much, when I do I grab better foods.... and log them.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    In your first post you mentioned eating that had to do with stress and not hunger. Try having a glass of water, or a cup of tea/coffee (protein hot chocolate is yummy) when those urges strike. Sometimes thirst masquerades as hunger and having some fluid and a little flavor may ebb any hunger pangs mixed in with the stress eating.
  • meagan8376
    meagan8376 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    In your first post you mentioned eating that had to do with stress and not hunger. Try having a glass of water, or a cup of tea/coffee (protein hot chocolate is yummy) when those urges strike. Sometimes thirst masquerades as hunger and having some fluid and a little flavor may ebb any hunger pangs mixed in with the stress eating.

Coffee usually helps me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone who commented ;)
    Its cravings for random things all day long. When i get sad it just intensifies.

I actually feel hungry but i think my body is lying to me. I eat enough everyday. well over 2000 cals. Maybe perhaps i dont eat the right things but i do try to incorperate veggies into it where i can.... esp veggie pizza >:)

I don't get the munchies when I have adequate protein, exercise, and sleep.

What's your protein target set to and are you hitting it?

You mentioned veggie pizza - are you a vegan/vegetarian? Are you diligent about eating legumes and other non-meat sources of protein?

I used to be an emotional eater but now I manage stress with regular exercise.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great appetite suppressant.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm the girl who gets upset + eats until I feel better. I always do this and enough is enough.

Has anyone tried to take and appetite suppressants? I'm considering this.
    I just eat too much and feel like it may help me to take this for about a month while I get used to modifying/restricted diet. After that, I'm hoping my body adjusts and I won't feel like I'm dying of starvation.

anyone try this? have tips? recommendations?

-tired of using food as a crutch

If you use food as a crutch, using appetite suppressants might be like using a different brand of crutches. They both do the same thing-- stop you from learning how to eat properly and change your eating behaviours and relationship with food. By "properly" I mean eating in a way that is tied to your body's dietary requirements and not your emotions.

Modifying your diet is helpful. Restricting it might not be. If you tell yourself you can't have specific foods you might crave them more, then binge, then beat yourself up for not being able to control yourself. Whatever eating habits you have, they won't be resolved unless you deal with your emotions and stress.

Right now, what you eat may not be as important as *why* you eat. Clearly it's a coping mechanism, so you have to find a different way of coping that doesn't involve reaching for food. I think for you, your attitude towards food has to change from seeing it as an emotional support to seeing it as a fuel that keeps your body working. That's difficult, but with perseverance it can be done.
  • stfpa
    stfpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about taking appetite suppressing pills? I’ve never done that and I feel like they wouldn’t work anyways, and if it does it’s probably just a mental thing. You said you’re an emotional eater but that alone shouldn’t make you feel like you’re dying of starvation, how many calories do you usually eat? If you’re only eating like 1200, try eating more, it can make a huge difference in how you feel. Or try planning your meals to be filling but low calorie and save calories for some emotional snacking, since it might be hard to stop doing what you’ve been doing.

For me, drinking water (especially with mio/crystal light) helps suppress my appetite. Also, coffee, tea and diet soda. Keeping myself busy helps a lot too. I have a problem with thinking I’m hungry when I’m bored.

Last thing, do you exercise? I know this doesn’t sound as good as emotional snacking, but maybe you could try going on a walk or going to the gym when you feel like you need to eat to feel better. A lot of people say exercise helps them clear their mind and endorphins will make you feel better. Plus, you’ll burn more calories which will let you have a snack anyways without affecting your progress :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'd address the mental aspect if I were you. Feeling less physically hungry won't help if you're eating to cope with emotions. Do some research and find some other coping mechanisms, and learn how to implement them, then reassess.
  • CrazyPixie12345
    CrazyPixie12345 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hugs!!
    Coffee can help suppress your appetite, and sometimes chewing gum can too. :) although chewing gum can cause wind and bloating it is really helpful if you're tempted to binge eat
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    When you feel emotional or stressed - at that very moment you are ready to grab something, ask yourself, "what am I feeling?" Think about it. Write it down like a little diary. That way you will be able to see what the pattern is. With that information, figure out what you are going to do about it. Make sure you are eating ONLY when you are truly hungry. Don't let your emotions sabotage you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great appetite suppressant.

Walking is also a great stress reducer.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Especially if you can walk in a park or somewhere quiet and relaxing.