Packaged sugar is my drug

Options
I've tried going off sugar snacks from the store because the additives are so addictive. I did good today and bought bananas instead of other junk but my other half gets a lot of candy and cookies that I try to get away from and it's like waving a drug in front of my face I'm having trouble walking away from. I've got to get some won't power. I feel like I'm only getting by till my next sugar snack and it sickens me. I'm trying to take small steps and stop getting little here and there. I've had an easier time not drinking than sugary processed foods. 😵🤢 I need a support network for this? WHO else? How are people changing this? I've tried going off all together and I was like hulk and feeling like a crappy detox. What have I done to myself 😢

Replies

• Sharla528
    Sharla528 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It’s hard. No lie.
    I am trying to look at each piece of food/drink/snack and ask myself “will this help my body, or hurt it?”
    One day at a time.
  • MrSmooth2017
    MrSmooth2017 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are plenty things that are naturally sweet that you can substitute for things full of sugar. Try to go for healthy snack bars with chocolate chips or chocolate coated for example instead of full chocolate bars. Trying to totally remove all these things from your diet is so hard, so just try to eat less of them or substitute some of them.

Another tip is to ask your partner not to bring any candy home, and buy it when they are going to eat it while out. its a lot harder to eat it, if its not there to eat.

Dont feel too bad about it. Its not bad to have sugar, or anything in fact. It just the amount. Reduce the amount, and stick to the same snacks if you must. One step at a time.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Experts say it takes about 2 weeks to get through it if you go 100% cold turkey. Personally, I’ve not ever made it that long.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    I was able to lose weight in large part by controlling my sweet tooth. Note that’s controlling, not defeating.

I did a lot of experimenting and researching various treats, ended up basically with two. One was some sort of modified ice cream. I’ve tried most frozen treats. I get more satisfaction for my calories in terms of portion size and how long it takes to eat.

The other is quality dark chocolate, but it’s rarely in the house. I have to want it badly enough to go out and get it. After I started eating quality chocolate, I lost interest most other candy.

The only sugar thing that I have totally eliminated is donuts and rarely eat cookies, cake or pie. I can scarf down hundreds of calories in a couple of minutes eating that stuff.

That’s what’s worked for me. I find working some refined sugar into my plan easier than saying absolutely no. Drawing lines that I can’t stick to undermines my overall confidence.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Are you boredom eating?

This was my problem. My downfall is fried/crunchy/salty/spicy things rather than sweet, but the effect was the same. Once I started logging my foods I saw how much a handful of this and a spoonful of that and "just one of these" added up. It was an unpleasant surprise. I eliminated my boredom eating over the course of a few weeks. It was an adjustment but I've lost 25 pounds in the past 4 months. Occasionally I still catch myself about to thoughtlessly put something in my mouth but I've trained myself to stop and think "no, not worth it."
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I find that keeping my carbs lower than 100g a day helps keeps my cravings in check. Even better if I also boost my protein intake. Look up 'insulin resistance' - there might be a medical reason for your cravings.
  • terrichcombo
    terrichcombo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yep, mine too. One day at a time....
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    My husband and I got semi-addicted to desserts. We just quit cold turkey, ,and within a week, we both felt better. And now, we eat fruit. There are recipes for low calorie desserts. That might be a good first step for you.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have been blessed with two gifts. A stronger than normal desire to be thin, and a love of sugar. As a result, my weight is rarely stable. I'm either buying sugary things or dieting.

This has to stop. I'm too embarrassed to say how many times I've been at goal weight, or how much weight I have lost / gained over the years. I have chosen to exclude processed sugar from my life. I'm slowly phasing out processed sugar, it's slow and difficult but I'll achieve it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    Sugar is more addictive than cocaine.

no, it isn't.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    People use the word addiction in non medical situations. I think that's alright, few of us here are professing to have medical qualifications.

There was a recent series of items on a news and information television programme about addiction. One of the ending comments from that was "if you think that you may be addicted to something, try going a month without it". Can you go a month without buying anything with processed sugar in it?