Getting out of debt

Options
moonflower09
moonflower09 Posts: 91 Member
I lOVE this MFP site. Does anyone know of anything similiar for finances? I would love to find a support group for getting out of debt. Thanks!

Replies

• Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Haha me too, that would be awesome, I manage on my own ok but help in that area would also be brilliant.
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't know either, I have a great spreadsheet that can be used for bill paying and budgeting.
  • lynxcoco
    lynxcoco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This may by your chance to take an idea and run with it...i.e., facebook, google, myspace...and oh yeah My Fitness Pal...please remember to send me my royalties check...I don't have the patience to take on any new ventures but I will support you...:smile:
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    www.daveramsey.com

Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover or Financial Peace University. Using his steps we were able to pay off $50,000 and save a 6 month emergency fund. We are working on saving money for house repairs right now, but when we are done we will start working on paying our house off early. It has totally changed our lives and our marriage! Now, we are focusing on getting our bodies debt (fat) free! haha.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    www.daveramsey.com

Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover or Financial Peace University. Using his steps we were able to pay off $50,000 and save a 6 month emergency fund. We are working on saving money for house repairs right now, but when we are done we will start working on paying our house off early. It has totally changed our lives and our marriage! Now, we are focusing on getting our bodies debt (fat) free! haha.

I'll have to check that out when I get home.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Your right Dave Ramsey's is a wonderful way to get out of debt!! Do anyone know how to correct your Identity problem if it has been stolen?
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Nothing like being debt free. We're almost there. Van will be paid off in May of next year and furniture too. No credit card debt. Next we'll work on the mortgage.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Debt free is my favorite topic of conversation. We're debt free. We paid off our mortgage in 4.5 years (June 2010). No school debt. Nothing.

I enjoy fivecentnickel.com. It's not exactly a community like this one, but it's fun to read.
    I also like this woman...gailvazoxlade.com/blog
  • moonflower09
    Options
    :happy: I really appreciate everyones wonderful feedback. I cant wait to look these up. Thanks everyone!
  • moonflower09
    Options
    Thank you for your wonderful suggestions!
  • justimogen
    Options
    I also like this woman...gailvazoxlade.com/blog
    I am also a fan of Gail Vaz-Oxlade! She is wise and very witty...and REALLY helped me find my way out of debt. :)
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Your right Dave Ramsey's is a wonderful way to get out of debt!! Do anyone know how to correct your Identity problem if it has been stolen?

Dave Ramsey endorses Zander insurance and they have an identity theft insurance...I may be mistaken but they may still help you if you sign up...worth a shot.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Debt free is my favorite topic of conversation.

Me too! Oh, I am such a nerd.

And yeah, I second (third, fourth) the recommendations for Dave Ramsey. He has a free podcast. I listen all the time even though my husband and I are debt free except the mortgage and I know pretty much exactly what he is going to say. I like the positive reinforcement and motivation that he provided.
  • moonflower09
    Options
    I signed up for Dave Ramseys. I have all my financials in front of me. I am anxious to get started!
  • jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I feel compelled to jump in on the Dave Ramsey topic. I'm a big fan!
    I've coordinated * of his "Financial Peace University" classes.
    I've had almost 200 people come through these classes - and most of them have made good progress.
    I'm also one of Dave's Certified Counselors - I've drunk the kool-aid ! :)
    And completely debt free - Yep - House and all -

just a note: you will get out of any program just what you put into it. There is no such thing as a quick fix to most problems.
    Just like our weight journey, the debt journey is hard, and sometimes it seems like it would be easier to just quit and go back to our old ways. No one said that it would be easy . . . . BUT IT'S WORTH IT !!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'ld like to.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Not a support group, but a helpful finance site is www.mint.com
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, my company offered the Dave Ramsey Course and they paid for it. I signed up. After the first night, I went home and told my wife that she needs to come to the classes with me. We attended them all and immediately put the concept into practice.

It's not rocket science and it definitely works. We had a fair amount of debt at the time. We are now virtually debt-free. We still have a mortgage and some household expenses, but very little credit debt.

Good Luck.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    creditkarma.com

Reviewes debts and credit score
  • stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love the dave ramsey method!
    Ive been wanting to attend one of the classes.