Late afternoon cravings help!

Options
Jaymie
Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
Does anyone here get food cravings about 2-3pm? I find all things go well till I hit the late afternoon.
My breakfast is usually toast and avocado plus coffee. Mid morning usually a fruit sometimes with some yoghurt or hummus on the side. Lunch is usually protein (100g) plus veges and a piece of bread or roll. Come 3pm I’m exhausted and I’m heading towards the pantry!! Any ideas? I’m not a tall person 5’2 125pounds, so at the moment my goal is 1300 per day - but struggling. Sorry if I don’t reply straight away I’m in nz so we heading into the night now. But TIA for any ideas

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight, are you looking to lose weight? You don't have much to lose, so you have to be patient; if you set your goal to 0.5 pounds per week, you get 1500, and then the problem might resolve itself.

But additional questions: Are you at home at 3PM, or is it a pantry at work? What do you do about dinner if you have been or will be going over your calories?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I can get sleepy or the munchies if I eat bread made from wheat flour at lunch. I'm fine with bread made from sprouted grains from brands such as Ezekial / Food for Life. If that's not available where you are or is not in your budget, try having something like rice with your protein for lunch.

Two other things to consider - I also crash/crave in the afternoon if I didn't get in any exercise at lunch or didn't get enough sleep the night before.
  • Jaymie
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight, are you looking to lose weight? You don't have much to lose, so you have to be patient; if you set your goal to 0.5 pounds per week, you get 1500, and then the problem might resolve itself.

But additional questions: Are you at home at 3PM, or is it a pantry at work? What do you do about dinner if you have been or will be going over your calories?

I’m looking to lose another 5 pounds. I’m not in a rush but it’s not budging. I work part time so if I’m at home it’s the pantry if I’m at work I pop down to the cafe for a sweet drink etc. no dinner is not good. I cook for the family and I run out of time to make something different for myself. Or I just lose control if I’ve been hanging in since 3pm.
  • Jaymie
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I can get sleepy or the munchies if I eat bread made from wheat flour at lunch. I'm fine with bread made from sprouted grains from brands such as Ezekial / Food for Life. If that's not available where you are or is not in your budget, try having something like rice with your protein for lunch.

Two other things to consider - I also crash/crave in the afternoon if I didn't get in any exercise at lunch or didn't get enough sleep the night before.

I might try the rice and meat combo as I mainly have bread at lunch.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    With so little to lose, it can seem like your weight isn't budging, but it is, if you're in a calorie deficit. So, do you stick to our allotment, or do you go over? If you set your calories to 1500, it will be easier, and you'll be fine until dinner, but if you insist on 1300, it definitely means that sweet drinks and sugary treats are out - you need all the nutrition you can get in order to not lose control.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Jaymie wrote: »
    Does anyone here get food cravings about 2-3pm? I find all things go well till I hit the late afternoon.
    My breakfast is usually toast and avocado plus coffee. Mid morning usually a fruit sometimes with some yoghurt or hummus on the side. Lunch is usually protein (100g) plus veges and a piece of bread or roll. Come 3pm I’m exhausted and I’m heading towards the pantry!! Any ideas? I’m not a tall person 5’2 125pounds, so at the moment my goal is 1300 per day - but struggling. Sorry if I don’t reply straight away I’m in nz so we heading into the night now. But TIA for any ideas

Tired, or hungry or?
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Two suggestions - for a really low cal workaround, try hot tea! I have a delicious cinnamon apple herbal tea that smells great and tastes good and with a little honey, can help me manage cravings. A green tea might also help with the addition of a little caffeine to get you over the hump. The other suggestion is to keep around a nut and fruit mix and have a couple handfuls - you just have to be careful with those because it can be easy to overdo it if you aren't mindful. But they're healthy and have lots of good fats, fiber, and enough carbs to keep you going through an afternoon slump.

Good luck!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    My ideas, based on my experience:
    - How much water are you drinking?
    - Are you getting enough sleep? If not, you could be craving something to help you stay awake.
    - Are you choosing fruits with a high glycemic index? You could try reducing high carbohydrate/high glycemic index foods such as grains (bread, etc) and fruits, and increasing proteins, fats and low carb vegetables.

My philosophy on all these things is that it's all an experiment, figuring out how *your* body reacts right now, so you have to be a bit of a detective.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You eat 100g of protein at one meal (lunch)? I have no idea what that could be, but I would drop that to more like 30g and use the extra calories for fruits and veggies that fill you up.

My go-to afternoon snack is a large sweet potato with hummus and some nuts.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    If I don't have the calories available (or don't want to spend them) on a snack, then coffee or tea is my go-to. Either really knocks down my afternoon cravings, and can give you a little energy boost too.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I pre-log, scheduling in a mid-afternoon "snack", which is, essentially, another meal. I'd never make it all afternoon til dinner with nothing. This means my other meals are a little smaller, but if I manage enough exercise to give me more calories, I don't feel deprived.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Try drinking either more water throughout the day or a make a habit of having a tea around that time. Most of the time, i get bored in the middle of the afternoon and getting up for a snack is just a bad habit of mine. Getting up to make a peppermint tea is now my new habit and I love it. I started making peppermint because I find it doesn’t go well with food lol
    If that’s bot your thing, prep some very low calories munching food like celery.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes!! I hit that 3pm slump all the time. Maybe add a little more protein to your breakfast? The hummus is more of a fat nutrient than protein.

I like doing overnight oats that I can grab at 3pm. 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk that I make the night before or that morning and throw in fridge. (I also add a tiny bit of Log Cabin sugar free maple syrup just because I like it and gives a little sweetness!)

I like having oats because it's a good carb and oats are slow digesting so tend to fill me up and hold me over. But logistically, oats are harder to cook up in the daytime or need to be heated up if I'm not near a stove or microwave! So I really love making the overnight oats because I can prep it quickly ahead of time, throw in a fridge at home or office, and have it cold for my 3pm snack. When you let it sit in the fridge, it all kind of melds together so it's almost like a yummy dessert pudding treat.
  • kelznz11
    kelznz11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Jaymie, I'm in NZ too :) One thing I have found is that reducing my carbs and sugar massively has totally gotten rid of that 3pm slump! I now have high, consistent energy all day and sleep much better too. The keto way of eating is a little too restrictive for me but LCHF is great. Take a look at the What The Fat website, I have bought both books and they are really informative and have great recipes. Also they are created by a NZ professor, dietician and chef :) Seriously the best way of eating I've ever tried.
  • kelznz11
    kelznz11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    You eat 100g of protein at one meal (lunch)? I have no idea what that could be, but I would drop that to more like 30g and use the extra calories for fruits and veggies that fill you up.

Not a good idea, protein keeps you full for longer and 100g is not a lot - that's a standard serving size of chicken, fish or red meat etc for an adult. The sugars in fruit would cause her a quick energy increase then a slump later on, so better to have the protein and green fibrous veggies....
  • Jaymie
    Options

Tired, or hungry or?

I think I’m tired more than hungry but I seem to eat when I am tired. Stupid, I know it’s my weakness!

• Jaymie
    Options
    kelznz11 wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »

Not a good idea, protein keeps you full for longer and 100g is not a lot - that's a standard serving size of chicken, fish or red meat etc for an adult. The sugars in fruit would cause her a quick energy increase then a slump later on, so better to have the protein and green fibrous veggies....

100g of chicken is not a lot - but it is only 23g of protein.

100g of protein is 430g of chicken, which is a lot of chicken!

I mean to say 100g of chicken or fish etc - any “meat” type food. I find 50g of chicken too little to keep me full for long enough.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Tired, or hungry or?

I think I’m tired more than hungry but I seem to eat when I am tired. Stupid, I know it’s my weakness!

have you cut caffeine out of your diet? are you not sleeping well?
  • Jaymie
    Options

Tired, or hungry or?

have you cut caffeine out of your diet? are you not sleeping well?

I try to keep caffeine to: coffee at breakfast, coffee after lunch. Sometimes a coffee at mid morning if I feel the breakfast one didn’t pick me up. So on average two a day.
    I sleep about 7hrs per night. I get the random 5am wake up about once a week. No idea what that’s about. I just randomly wake early and can’t get back to sleep. But that’s about once a week. I have threatened myself by leaving my running gear out so if I get up at 5am I’m going jogging - that does work lol!!!