Eating under BMR?

Options
Is it safe? And if so, by how much? Just wondering because some of the calorie calculators suggested in the helpful posts said my bmr is 1529-1835 but to lose 2 lbs a week, mfp suggested eating 1490. Is this ok?

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I dont think it is good, you may lose more, but the loss in your muscles will be greater. eat above your bmr, or at least at your bmr.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    What are your stats? Were you using calculators to determine BMR, TDEE or Neat?
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Were you using calculators to determine BMR, TDEE or Neat?

Im 5'5, 230 lbs, 27 year old female. I used a calculator from the helpful posts thread on the top in the general diet forum.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I would be light headed and hangry.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    That may be fine, especially with low calorie/high nutrition bulk foods and eating back most of your exercise calories.

If you find yourself fatigued, hungry all the time, or just not feeling well, lower the weight loss rate to a more comfortable rate. It's normal, and not "failing" to do a slower rate as all progress is still progress, and progress is success.

Most people have a very difficult time with 2lbs per week, especially when starting, as it's a drastic cut in food.

Also, the slower your rate of loss, the less change of severe saggy skin you'll end up with. So there's that as well.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!