kelandrycolo
kelandrycolo Posts: 1 Member
Anyone have a good recipe for beets?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I just like roasting or steaming them... And eating sprinkled with salt.

I make a nice salad with spinach/rocket, roasted Beetroot, goats cheese and walnuts.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Beet chow chow
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Roasted, rubbed with olive oil and salt mmmmm
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    A scrummy raw beet salad. My absolute favourite.
    46wyvfxw5801.jpeg
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Roasted beets and goat cheese with a balsamic reduction on top of mesclun or a little arugula. Little lemon squeeze on top and some sea salt and YUMMMMM
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Nothing tops beet soup (borscht). Very filling and delicious for not many calories even with the sour cream. Perfect macro distribution (for my goals at least). The protein can be anything - beans, chicken, beef, pork...etc There are many different recipes for it online, look around.

If you really really love beets like my mom does, you could also roast one (in bite sized chunks) and add some to your bowl before ladling in the borscht to experience it both ways, grated and in chunks. Personally, what's in there is already enough for me.

ETA: like stew, borscht is always better the next day, so if you decide to make it make sure to leave some in the fridge overnight to develop flavor. Also, feel free to use any broth you find appealing, even bone broth works. The fresher the vegetables the tastier the soup.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Nothing tops beet soup (borscht). Very filling and delicious for not many calories even with the sour cream. Perfect macro distribution (for my goals at least). The protein can be anything - beans, chicken, beef, pork...etc There are many different recipes for it online, look around.

If you really really love beets like my mom does, you could also roast one (in bite sized chunks) and add some to your bowl before ladling in the borscht to experience it both ways, grated and in chunks. Personally, what's in there is already enough for me.

This⬆️
    Roasted beets and goat cheese with a balsamic reduction on top of mesclun or a little arugula. Little lemon squeeze on top and some sea salt and YUMMMMM

And this ⬆️
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I really like raw shredded (grated) beets in salads.

I also really like them pan fried with salt and pepper. Once they are boiled, slice them to desired thickness and cooked them in a tiny bit of oil. It’s super easy yet very good.

I also make beets, avocado and feta cheese salad. It’s amazing!
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This beet and carrot salad with pistachios in a curry dressing is one of my favorites
    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/beet-and-carrot-salad-with-curry-dressing-and-pistachios
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I use them in my veggie and quinoa salad.

You cut 2 beets, an onion, cauliflower, brussle sprouts, carrots, and any other veggie you might like into 1 inch cubes. Coat all the veggies in a bit of olive oil and soy sauce. Spread them all on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 until they are tender. While that is baking boil veggie broth and make quinoa (just like regular rice). When everything is cooked mix it all together.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I boil them whole until soft but not mushy (about an hour on medium, but smaller beets cook faster), then peel, dice and toss with salt and balsamic vinegar.