I Just bought myself a recumbent bike - I cannot wait for it to arrive!! ADD ME AS A FRIEND

Options
Feel free to add me if you are looking for an MFP friend.
I am on a Low Fodmap Diet to aid in weight loss and to regulate my body's digestion issues.
So far this has changed my life, no more upset tummy or bloating and I am losing weight, sleeping better and have so much more energy, that I am loving exercise again.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Recumbent ('bents) are the fastest bikes because the air resistance is so much lower. Ride it like you stole it!
  • melissamacneil1970
    melissamacneil1970 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I plan on it, I loved the one at my gym now I have one of my own. cannot wait for it to arrive!
  • Joramaisi3
    Joramaisi3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing the FODMAP diet? I have IBS and GERD and was told to start this diet. I’m doing a lot of research this weekend and some shopping and plan to start on Monday. I planned to start last week but got food poisoning and that with IBS just made it so bad.
  • melissamacneil1970
    Options
    I have been doing this for just over three weeks now, I lost 12lbs so far and following a 1200 a day calorie intake. I eat a lot of veggies, they are filling and low on calories. I had to give up a lot of veggies as well because some are considered as high fodmap many were my favorites. But since I love all veggies, I now have some new favorites and a joy for cooking. Here is a website dedicated to knowledge on Low fodmap.

https://www.niagarahealth.on.ca/files/Externalsite-AnIntroductiontoTheLowFODMAPDietforIrritableBowelSyndrome2015.pdf

this is a site above that will give you a copy of the PDF introduction to a Low Fodmap diet copy and paste search link there will be a downloadable PDF there,

also here is a Pinterest link as well that will list foods in your local stores that are low fodmap this also helped with shopping,
    pinterest.comnealglauserRD

Some other IBS triggers are caffeine, wine, fast foods and deep-fried foods.
    I have discovered the joy of crock potting and roasting my meals and using min oils that are IBS friendly.

Hope this helps, if you want any food combination ideas let me know
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    I plan on it, I loved the one at my gym now I have one of my own. cannot wait for it to arrive!

Have you had a chance to try one outside? You've got to let go of a lot of what you've learned riding an upright bicycle.
  • melissamacneil1970
    Options
    the Pinterest link again is
    www.pinterest.com/nealglauserRD
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Have you had a chance to try one outside? You've got to let go of a lot of what you've learned riding an upright bicycle.

Adding my own $0.02.

I rented one while in FL this spring (Pinellas Trail near Clearwater). Was a great learning experience and fun in a novel way; I can see why they can be popular. I'm riding a standard bicycle now, but am aware that balance or other issues may arise in the future (I'm over 60yo).

One of the learning experiences, quite unexpected: the rental had a slick sling seat, not a rigid seat. I spent much effort simply supporting myself from sliding out, no matter how I adjusted the thing (limited range of adjustments). The rental had a bit of a "contraption" feel to it, but I wouldn't judge the entire class of recumbents as such.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of adding one to our exercise equipment. It would be a nice change to our treadmill and when I went to PT last, I really loved it. I can't cycle outside here because my knees will not take the hills.
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 64 years young and just got my first recumbent short wheel base bicycle (not a trike). I rode a regular bike 10 years ago but gave it up because of pain while riding. I can't ride the bikes at the gym, too painful. My very first recumbent ride was yesterday. I rode it over 2 hours in a huge park parking lot. Learning how to start, stop, and turn corners is challenging but fun. My gps said I went about 20 miles and no pain! I have been celiac for over 10 years now. After years of under eating, I now eat tons of real food so I have the energy I need to ride and work out. Would love to be friends on MFP. What kind of bike did you get?
  • melissamacneil1970
    Options

The outdoor recumbent bikes are very expensive, the upright bikes are too painful for my knees and back. I have knee and lower back issues due to various types of arthritis. I am currently doing some seated resistance band workouts to help strengthen my whole body from head to toe. I managed to find a very challenging work out that I do for an hour a day 4-5 days a week. The recumbent bike is another way that I can get low impact cardio all year round, allowing me with no excuses as to why I can not work out. And no pain which is another positive motivator.
  • melissamacneil1970
    Options
    I am 64 years young and just got my first recumbent short wheel base bicycle (not a trike). I rode a regular bike 10 years ago but gave it up because of pain while riding. I can't ride the bikes at the gym, too painful. My very first recumbent ride was yesterday. I rode it over 2 hours in a huge park parking lot. Learning how to start, stop, and turn corners is challenging but fun. My gps said I went about 20 miles and no pain! I have been celiac for over 10 years now. After years of under eating, I now eat tons of real food so I have the energy I need to ride and work out. Would love to be friends on MFP. What kind of bike did you get?

I bought myself a very affordable indoor recumbent bike on the Walmart website. it was on sale for $160 and the ratings and comments were 4 to 5 stars. I am very excited about this purchase because the recumbent at the gym was my favorite piece of cardio equipment. I love to get an outdoor version of that bike, but having arthritis in my hip and lower back, how are the shocks on the outdoor version? Vibration is usually painful for me.
  • melissamacneil1970
    Options
    I have been thinking of adding one to our exercise equipment. It would be a nice change to our treadmill and when I went to PT last, I really loved it. I can't cycle outside here because my knees will not take the hills.

Yes I have the same issue with my knees and back as well, that is the reason I invested in a recumbent bike, I know this bike works for me, mainly because I used one at my local gym. But when the cold weather came around I was less motivated to leave my house, because the cold was very painful to my joints. So I decided to get one of my own so I would have no more excuses to stay fit and do my cardio. its low impact but still get the blood flowing and heart pumping and keep the joints to my hips and knees lubricated with no impact.
  • melissamacneil1970
    Options
    Recumbent ('bents) are the fastest bikes because the air resistance is so much lower. Ride it like you stole it!

I love them...I cannot wait for my indoor recumbent to arrive. the nice thing is in the summer I can roll it out on the deck due to it being so compact! and in the winter I can pedal away in my living room watching the tv
  • melissamacneil1970
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

Adding my own $0.02.

I rented one while in FL this spring (Pinellas Trail near Clearwater). Was a great learning experience and fun in a novel way; I can see why they can be popular. I'm riding a standard bicycle now, but am aware that balance or other issues may arise in the future (I'm over 60yo).

One of the learning experiences, quite unexpected: the rental had a slick sling seat, not a rigid seat. I spent much effort simply supporting myself from sliding out, no matter how I adjusted the thing (limited range of adjustments). The rental had a bit of a "contraption" feel to it, but I wouldn't judge the entire class of recumbents as such.

no, I have never rented or tried an official outdoor version of the recumbent, I need something that will absorb shock since I have arthritis in my hips and knees. Constant vibration or bumps will get painful pretty quick.
  • melissamacneil1970
    Options
    bsmith2016 wrote: »
    How long have you been doing the FODMAP diet? I have IBS and GERD and was told to start this diet. I’m doing a lot of research this weekend and some shopping and plan to start on Monday. I planned to start last week but got food poisoning and that with IBS just made it so bad.
    I have been doing this for just over three weeks now, I lost 12lbs so far and following a 1200 a day calorie intake. I eat a lot of veggies, they are filling and low on calories. I had to give up a lot of veggies as well because some are considered as high fodmap many were my favorites. But since I love all veggies, I now have some new favorites and a joy for cooking. Here is a website dedicated to knowledge on Low fodmap.

https://www.niagarahealth.on.ca/files/Externalsite-AnIntroductiontoTheLowFODMAPDietforIrritableBowelSyndrome2015.pdf

this is a site above that will give you a copy of the PDF introduction to a Low Fodmap diet copy and paste search link there will be a downloadable PDF there,

also here is a Pinterest link as well that will list foods in your local stores that are low fodmap this also helped with shopping,
    www.pinterest.com/nealglauserRD

Some other IBS triggers are caffeine, wine, fast foods and deep-fried foods.
    I have discovered the joy of crock potting and roasting my meals and using min oils that are IBS friendly.

Hope this helps, if you want any food combination ideas let me know
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Adding my own $0.02.

no, I have never rented or tried an official outdoor version of the recumbent, I need something that will absorb shock since I have arthritis in my hips and knees. Constant vibration or bumps will get painful pretty quick.

Sorry, I didn't understand on initial read that you were discussing an indoor cycle. Yeah, my wife has some arth issues developing, plus IBS (but not on FODMAP), and we don't know how that will play out on her biking and other activity goals; my sympathies to you.

I (re)started cycling after decades away this January. Until Memorial Day, this included a couple days/wk at the gym in a recumbent (not spin) bike. It was a great way to get cardio without a lot of joint pressure. For the summer, I have skipped the gym to swim instead, but will be going back to the gym after Labor Day. You're doing a resistance band regimen; I am also as a supplement to everything else; that's another good thing with low impact (but might cause range of motion pain - my old HS football-injured shoulder sometimes aches [tolerably, but noticeable] after my morning resistance band workouts).
  • melissamacneil1970
    Options

Adding my own $0.02.

Sorry, I didn't understand on initial read that you were discussing an indoor cycle. Yeah, my wife has some arth issues developing, plus IBS (but not on FODMAP), and we don't know how that will play out on her biking and other activity goals; my sympathies to you.

I (re)started cycling after decades away this January. Until Memorial Day, this included a couple days/wk at the gym in a recumbent (not spin) bike. It was a great way to get cardio without a lot of joint pressure. For the summer, I have skipped the gym to swim instead, but will be going back to the gym after Labor Day. You're doing a resistance band regimen; I am also as a supplement to everything else; that's another good thing with low impact (but might cause range of motion pain - my old HS football-injured shoulder sometimes aches [tolerably, but noticeable] after my morning resistance band workouts).

That is ok...no worries
    in regards to the resistance bands, it's def a safe and easy way to work out and a lot cheaper than regular weights if you are looking for an in-home option. I use them to strength train my upper and lower body and include them in some palates moves, I am able to work out every muscle group in my body including your back abs and core.
    all my exercises are seated therefor taking all the extra strain off my knees and back. I used the chair as a way to attach my bands to do all my workouts.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    How’s the bike? I began using one (stationary) primarily because it’s easier than treadmill and elliptical on my cranky hip. It works great but I have to be careful with resistance or my hip reminds me....