Running socks

Options
Hi ya'll!
Wondering if anyone could recommend a good running sock? I keep getting blisters on the bottom side right in the ball of my foot. I'm in FL so it gets really hot and humid here so no need for warm materials.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I went to the running store and asked what they recommend (got some thicker ones and some thiner ones) :P but then again, I am there a few times a week it seems...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have these.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B012IG4WVG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not very prone to blisters, but they are comfortable and thick enough (without being hot) to possibly help you avoid blisters.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    How about two pairs of thin? I have always done this for skating for the same reason. Running I wear padded Puma socks.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    they need to be both thin and moisture wicking for me.

The thinner, the better.

I like a brand called: DeFeet

quick note: I trained for 20 weeks and ran a full marathon using exclusively DeFeet brand socks, with no blisters, not one.

also, use BodyGlide for those areas (feet and other wise) prone to blistering and/or chaffing

best of luck
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Thin merino wool smart wool socks! They are cool even hot sweaty weather! So so so comfortable!! They are expensive but worth it.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Balega makes a style called blister resist I think. Swiftwick also makes something similar I believe.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Feetures. I love mine.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    they need to be both thin and moisture wicking for me.

The thinner, the better.

I like a brand called: DeFeet

quick note: I trained for 20 weeks and ran a full marathon using exclusively DeFeet brand socks, with no blisters, not one.

also, use BodyGlide for those areas (feet and other wise) prone to blistering and/or chaffing

best of luck

All of this⬆️
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've done well with the Stance brand of no-show running socks. They get on my feet and they don't move, nor do my feet. I've tried thinner socks but foot then seems to move around too much in the shoe causing a blister. Also, my shoes need to be fitting well.

I was just down in Orlando two weeks ago and I wore my Stance socks in a new pair of "casual" sneakers. Got a blister where my bunion area is. This doesn't happen in my regular running shoes.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm not picky. I've had great luck with Asics, New Balance and REI running socks.

However, I find the cheap socks last longer than the pricey wool socks. The REI socks were about $10 per pair, and lasted less than 1000 miles till I wore through. The New Balance ones I won in a race (but they were $10/3 pack or so) and lasted 5+ years. The Asics were $9/3 pack, and so far have lasted 4 years.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing cotton now?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Probably, i'm not sure to be honest. I steal my husbands because he has small feet LOL :D .
  • Elizabeth32413
    Elizabeth32413 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thorlos Experia socks gives me the extra cushion on the heel and they are moisture wicking. A bit pricey but for me they work great
  • xrunlukerunx
    xrunlukerunx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Injinji, bit to get used to but they changed my running experience
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

Probably, i'm not sure to be honest. I steal my husbands because he has small feet LOL :D .

This made me laugh, I also steal my husband’s socks (don’t tell him)... but def not for running, I use my special babies for that... he gave me a hard time for how expensive they were... but I convinced him to try them for our portaging trip and I’m pretty sure he thinks they are worth it too lol.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Look for “wicking”.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i really like the balega ones. been awhile since ive had them and since i dont run its not really an issue, but i really did like those socks lol
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I prefer the thinnest socks I can find. Either polyester or wool, but never cotton. I don't care so much about brand, but the following have served me well -

- Smartwool
    - Swiftwick
    - Features