Pregnant mama looking for best place to start

Options
leenamkw
leenamkw Posts: 1 Member
Hello, I have had mfp for a few years and was serious about loosing weight. I had started loosing weight using the turbo fire videos and just eating a bit cleaner and then sustained a back injury that set me back a bit. Work and life stuff piled up and I noticed I was starting to slowly gain weight again. Then my hubby and I found out we are expecting. I managed to loose a few pounds in the first trimester (not intentionally), more a combination of not feeling well and simply cleaning up my diet. I have been mindful of what Ive been eating through out the pregnancy but deffinetly aquired a sweet tooth. I am on track to gain about 35lbs in total and am due in about 4 weeks. My goal during this next year is to develop the skills and practice the tools I need to have a healthier diet, incorporate exercise into my life that can be managed long term. I know I can’t focus on losing weight in the short term but know I can focus on preparation and making some healthier choices. Im wondering if folks have any suggestions or can share what has worked for them. Not entirely sure where to start.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Congratulations on the pending arrival of your baby! It is an exciting time in your lives!
    It is common to lose during your first trimester. I know I did. People were constantly bringing me food to tempt me, but my morning sickness was all day sickness. The only time in my life I couldn't stand to smell or look at food.
    Are you going to be nursing, because that will make a difference in total number of calories. Talk to your doctor about this.
    Congratulations on your baby, and best of luck on a healthy baby and a healthier you!
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Congratulation on the new baby!

I think that cleaning up your diet is already a great step, especially for your future child! The earlier you expose your child to healthy eating habit, the better.

When I started my weight loss journey I was mostly focusing on calories, which ended up failing me. Over time I shifted my focus on health and consciously choosing more nutritious food more often. I find that the more I eat fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthy fat, etc the more I crave it. The same goes for junk food so the more I eat it, the more I want it. That doesn’t mean I never eat it, I just try to see it as a once in a while thing instead of a regular thing. I also had to work on portion size, as this was something I was really bad at. Portion size for me was basically loading up my plate until it overflowed. So I worked on that a lot. You know your flaws, find them and slowly work on them until it becomes a habit.

For exercise, I never enjoyed exercising and that still hasn’t changed. I just try to walk everyday (about 30 minutes) and do a more physical activity twice a month. Every other weekend I go for an hour long bike ride, go for a nature walk in the woods, play badminton with a few friends, etc. I enjoy those activity more and more and although it’s very light activities, I noticed that I have better endurance now than a before, so it’s a win. Just like food, the more I do it, the more I crave it.

• elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    First few weeks and months are about survival lol after a baby. I would highly recommend meal prep healthy meals before birth. Walk with babe.