Streamlining logging

Options
I started a second part time job about 5 weeks ago, andI'm having trouble keeping up with mylogging. What tips do you have to keep it easy (or efficient)?

Pre loggers, what worksfor you? How much and how far out doyou log?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I generally log for the day in the morning before or while I have breakfast.
    I eat from home most meals so my options are limited and dinners are planned for the week. I often rotate through a few items for breakfast or have dinner leftovers. Since some items and amounts are the frequent it is quick to log them.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Since I eat most of my meals at home, the only thing I struggle with is multi-ingredients, and since I cook for two, figuring out how much of each ingredient I personally consumed. But since we are normally talking vegetables and I weigh all my proteins, I don't think it is a huge problem.
    Preplanning seems like a solution to your problem.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I log in the morning for the day as I usually take it to work with me and I have a rough idea of what to do for dinner. I do tend to be consistent though with 300 cals for breakfast and 400 for lunch and alternate between a few favourite options.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you rotate a few items for breakfast, lunch, dinners and snacks, set them up under “meals”. I pre-log my entire week on Sunday, usually just a quick add of 600 for dinner, then adjust as I go.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I can usually log at the time or soon after. One of the few times I use quick add is to add a big number that will remind me to correct it later. If it's not possible to log at all until later which is rare, I just have to hope I will remember.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of leftovers so pre-logging is pretty easy for me to do. Breakfast is even easier as it typically consists of a bagel with butter. Sometimes I'll deviate from my typical breakfast but a bagel eaten at 7:30 will leave me satiated until 11:30 or noon where as oatmeal (which I like better, taste wise), will end with me being hungry within an hour and a half.

I typically log snacks when I eat them but sometimes I'm able to plan ahead of time, though never more than X number of hours. So for instance I bought a piece of caramel yesterday afternoon that I knew I would eat it later that day so I just logged it when I was logging my lunch (which I had bought at the same time).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Since I eat most of my meals at home, the only thing I struggle with is multi-ingredients, and since I cook for two, figuring out how much of each ingredient I personally consumed. But since we are normally talking vegetables and I weigh all my proteins, I don't think it is a huge problem.
    Preplanning seems like a solution to your problem.

My husband and I both have different requirements but like to eat similar foods when we share meals. I use two pots for multiple ingredient mixed foods rather than try to work out dividing things, or I make meals with individual components - like steak and roast vegies, I'll put his vegies on one tray and mine on another.

OP, I log one day of food and eat that every day during the week. I might eat the same meals for weeks at a time if I enjoy them.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I also pre-log, for about a week. Breakfast during the week is usually a smoothie and coffee, so I have created meals that have the repeating basic ingredients. (If I don't have a smoothie, I have something that I have previously created a meal for.) Lunch is usually a big salad, so same for that. The evening meal is one of 8 that rotate by day of the week (Fri-Sun set meals are still being established.) Snacks have also been created as meals.

I find this method quick and easy. Easier still would be if I could copy over an entire week and copy forward wasn't limited to just a few pre-set days.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    I use: Quick Tools > Copy Yesterday.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I prelog most of my food. I also build recipes on dishes/foods I make the same every time. My steaks are cut into 4oz servings, so when I make steak tacos - each taco is 1 grilled corn tortilla, 2oz of steak, 1TBSP jalapeno salsa. I used the recipe builder to be able to add "steak taco" instead of adding each individual ingredient every time I make them. While it may take a bit more effort to build every recipe, in the long run it saves a lot of time.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I always freeze my dinner leftovers for lunches to bring at work. I keep a roll of painting tape and a sharpie in the kitchen and I’ll stick a piece of tape with either the name of the recipe (that i previously created in mfp) or the quantity of food in it (like 40g unc rice, 85g cooked chicken, 145 g cooked gr beans...)
    The night before I take a lunch out from the freezer to thaw in the fridge and i’ll log it. I’ll more often than not enter my breakfast than as well and adjust quantities in the morning while I eat it.
    For dinners, i enter it as I cook it
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    If you have access to MFP at work, log your stuff while at work if you don't have time in the morning.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    If you make your meals ahead of time you can log ahead of time or use the copy meal feature.
    I use recipes or meals for entries. Often I will have two eggs, turkey bacon, a slice of toast, and juice for breakfast. Although the weights might be off a little I don't worry too much about it.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Prelogging helps me a lot, I usually do it in the morning or even the night before and just tweak quantities as I eat Using the recipe builder is helpful and most importantly for me - saving meals. Using 'save meal' saves me ages in logging meals - after eating a meal I decide whether it is going to be a regular thing - if so I save it as a meal eg chicken salad, roast beef dinner, baked cod, chips and peas etc. Next time I have that meal I can just log the meal, check that I have used the same weight ingredients, readjust if necessary and job's a goodun. I have saved a lot of frequent meals. It is amazing how common a lot of ingredients are across meals. Saves entering everything again.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    M-F I follow a meal plan and I prep my meals so I eat identical every day. I don't bother logging except the weekend because then I go to more of a flexible dieting style.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    There is a lunch program where I work and I get my lunch menus from it on a weekly basis. As a result, I plan a week at a time.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I don't mind routine so I tend to eat the same things again and again. It might not be totally exciting variety-wise but it makes logging really easy.