Running socks

Replies

• anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    I have always had great luck with Belega and Smartwool.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Believe it or not, my favorite running socks actually come from Aeropostale. With my one pair of running shoes, I'm prone to blisters on my right heel. The socks from Aero have a thicker cushioning around the ankle/achilles tendon area. Other than that, I'm a trial and error type of person. I just discovered that I cannot wear the Nike dri-fit no shows - got a blister. However, I can wear the Champion C9 no show heel shield or cushion socks from Target. I do like the UA no show cushions though.

Just keep in mind, that just because it has a pricey name, doesn't mean that your feet will necessarily enjoy them.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    For races and any run over 10k I wear the Belega blister resist or Belega enduro. For treadmill running I wear City Sports own brand running socks (cheap as chips, but they're just perfect for me and have never given me blisters). I bought about ten pairs when they announced they were going out of business.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Balega Hidden Comfort for me. They're great.

One thing to check out. Your socks might not be the main reason you're getting blisters. If you just changed shoes, it could be that the toe box of your shoe is larger than you're used to and it allows your foot to move around.

I just got a new pair of shoes and have been having a heck of a time adjusting to them. I keep getting blisters on the ball of my foot, especially when running in humid weather. It doesn't happen with the other shoes that have been in my rotation and I'm wearing the same socks I've been wearing for a year.

Although I'm usually a proponent of tying my shoes pretty loose for a run, I've mostly been able to make the problem go away by tying the new shoes a bit more tight than I tie my other shoes. Socks didn't make a ton of difference.
  • Jockimom
    Jockimom Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm in FL too, trying to convince myself that the heat and humidity will go down one of these days.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Bump
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    I appreciate this thread for the great suggestions. I had several pairs of the store brand from Roadrunner that I really liked. Sadly, the washer/dryer trolls have eaten at least one of each pair. I went back to the store for more and they didn't have the same kind. I dubiously bought a 3-pack, but hate the fabric and they don't fit well either. Must've changed to a cheaper manufacturer. I just bought a 3-pack of Nike no-show golf socks, but have only worn them for daily wear and not walking or running yet.

I've had my eye on the Balega, but I'm a cheapo and hate to spend big money on socks. I guess in this regard you get what you pay for!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i've run in asics, addidas, and wooliq, and stance. i like iq and stance. but i can get the other three at tjmaxx. i'm not huge for blistering so i just use body glide at the "sticky" spots
  • honeybtini
    honeybtini Posts: 1 Member
    Swiftwick! The most versatile selection and the most amazing, never get sweaty, stay put socks known! They come in different densities, so you can try the thinnest or go for a more cushiony version.
    I have Balega too. I wish I liked them. They simply didn't make it through the wash and hold together.
  • afbrzoska
    afbrzoska Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2018
    Balega Hidden Comfort! They are worth every penny! I didn't realize how much socks made a difference, but they totally do. No more blisters.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Feetures. I love mine.

Another vote for Feetures.
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2018
    idk ... seems like a lot of trouble having to catch them first each time you want to wear a pair!
  • Babbs1977
    Babbs1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Wright Socks!! They are a double layer sock, and have saved me from blisters during long runs.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Balegas or Feetures... They're a little pricey, but the they'll last forever if you never put them in the dryer.

Like most things running-related, socks are subjective. If you really want to find what works best for you (material, length, fit, etc.), I'd advise buying a few different pairs at your running store and putting them to the test.

Good luck!
  • Mekare78
    Mekare78 Posts: 1 Member
    Definitely Feetures. They feel great on, the thicker ones have great cushioning if you need it. Never had an issue with them moving.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Agreed on Balega Hidden Comfort!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/moisture-wicking-socks-natural-synthetic-fibres

Acrylic socks if you are prone to blisters; I really like using Paper tape for friction burns
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I have very wide feet, so I wear the thinnest socks possible to minimize extra bulk inside my shoe. I like Balega Hidden Dry, which are the thinnest I've found. For a slightly thicker sock, I like Balega Ultra Light or Smartwool PhD. If you're running in cotton socks now, though, anything that's moisture wicking will be better than what you have. Cotton plus moisture and friction is a recipe for blisters.

You might have to shell out $10-$20 a pair depending on what you buy, but they do last a long time. I still have the first pair of running socks that I bought three years ago.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    My suggestions:

Try putting duct tape over hot spots before they become blisters.
    Use body glide or friction defense.
    Wear wicking / quick-drying socks and breathable shoes.
    Try wicking sock liners under your socks, just tight enough that they do not move / rub.
    If running through deep water crossings on trails where socks will get wet, then wear wool.
    Never wear cotton socks.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    I get blisters on my toes and I find Balegas and Swiftwick socks are the best for me, but I've tried everything. Whether thick or thin depends on how much room you have in your shoes but definitely don't use cotton socks, those are the most likely to give blisters. An aftermarket insole with a slippery sole may help reduce friction on the ball of your foot where you get the blisters. I've used all the different slippery potions, including Body Glide and sometime I still get blisters. I was in the running store and they thought my shoes were too big so my feet move around and cause blisters, but the smaller size seemed to hurt more. It's trial and error, but you can probably reduce how often you get blisters.