Nothing new, but JUST AS FRUSTRATING

Options
I realize this is a common "whine", but I am at a total loss. I am so frustrated I can hardly see straight! I read what people have to say to support others and try to use that as my motivation, but it's not working!!!

I started January 1 - I stopped drinking, knowing that's where a lot of my calorie intake is. I increased my running mileage (from about 3 miles to 5) per day, 4-5 times per week and February 1 I went back to the gym for strength training and to change up my cardio 2-3 times a week.

I am within my calorie limits over/under by 200 consistently (I went over by 400 once) and I am careful to remain very much under the sodium intake and over the protein and fiber intake. I drink anywhere from 8 to 12 cups of water a day.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED. The scale hasn't budged since a 5 lb drop in the first 10 days (water weight). People say to feel how your clothes fit... well, not much has changed there either. I still feel gross no matter what I wear.

I'm more venting than anything else. I won't stop running because my dogs need to run to be balanced and well-behaved, not to mention the endorphins are addicting :smile: I'm just ticked that I spend so much time and energy on watching what I eat/drink and have nothing to show for it after two months. :grumble: I know this doesn't happen overnight, but a little progress would help!

Replies

• puppylove84
    Options
    I realize this is a common "whine", but I am at a total loss. I am so frustrated I can hardly see straight! I read what people have to say to support others and try to use that as my motivation, but it's not working!!!

I started January 1 - I stopped drinking, knowing that's where a lot of my calorie intake is. I increased my running mileage (from about 3 miles to 5) per day, 4-5 times per week and February 1 I went back to the gym for strength training and to change up my cardio 2-3 times a week.

I am within my calorie limits over/under by 200 consistently (I went over by 400 once) and I am careful to remain very much under the sodium intake and over the protein and fiber intake. I drink anywhere from 8 to 12 cups of water a day.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED. The scale hasn't budged since a 5 lb drop in the first 10 days (water weight). People say to feel how your clothes fit... well, not much has changed there either. I still feel gross no matter what I wear.

I'm more venting than anything else. I won't stop running because my dogs need to run to be balanced and well-behaved, not to mention the endorphins are addicting :smile: I'm just ticked that I spend so much time and energy on watching what I eat/drink and have nothing to show for it after two months. :grumble: I know this doesn't happen overnight, but a little progress would help!
  • tabassan
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way as you. I am a long distance running, always training for half or full marathons. I run about twenty miles per week and also strength train. Last year while training for my second half marathon, I lost about twenty five pounds.

I ran a full marathon at the end of September and gained about 15 pounds from then until January. Lately, I have cut back on drinking as well. I have stayed within my calories and have seen no change in weight. I have not lost a pound. I am very frustrated as well and don't know what to do. It seems like my weight peaked and then reached a plateau. I am not happy with how I look, my clothes are tight and I have an extremely low self-esteem right now.

Does anyone have solutions for this problem or has experienced something similar?
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options

I know what you mean girl. I have basically the same problem. I do all this exercise and watch what I eat and not much happens. It's crazy. I'm a good bit older than you; so I've chalked it up to my metabolism. I've gone to the doctor. They don't care. It's very frustrating. Just keep up the hard work. We can do this.
    Pam

• MattySparky
    Options

I hate to say this, but it's not very clear what you are trying to say by "consistantly over/under" on your calories. Consistantly being over, or being over often, which is what Im taking from this, is not going to help you lose weight. You need to be honest with your calories. Maybe you are and if this is the case I would really rethink what level of calories you are at. You could very well be under what you should be consuming. Are you following the guidelines of this site strictly?
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    Change up your workout routine. Try adding weight/strength training 2-3days a week. Your body is very conditioned to running by now so it isn't being challenged. Also how much weight are you trying to lose? Maybe you are at your body's ideal weight already.
  • puppylove84
    Options
    Of course I'm being honest with my calories, I'm not interested in cheating myself. I weigh almost everything I eat and I'm following the guidelines strictly. I sit on my butt all day at work, so running in the morning and walking in the evening are the only exercise I really get.

I've already added strength training to my routine (almost three weeks ago now) and I change up my cardio a few times a week to keep my body guessing and from getting into a running-rut. I know my body is not in an ideal place. I've been through this process twice in the past 8 years and know I should be at least 25 lbs lighter. I'm stuck at 180 - my goal is 140, but I would be thrilled to see 150 again at this point. I'm 5' 7", so 180 is not healthy.

The last two times I was pretty unhealthy the way I went about it (I worked out like crazy and was down to about 600-700 calories per day). It worked, but I didn't keep it off (obviously) and I've screwed up my metabolism. It's been over 3 years since that phase, so I would hope that my metabolism has adjusted by now, but maybe not???
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    True enough, maybe your metabolism has not fully recovered. Eating that few calories can have dramatic effects on the body. Sometimes the body recovers, sometimes it doesn't. Have you checked with a doctor to test your metabolism?

Also, Are you sure you're at the right goals for yourself? You didn't tell us what your lbs/week goal is. But I can say at 38 lbs to lose, you probably should be no higher then 1.5 lbs, but I would probably suggest 1 lb per week. That's 500 calories a day under your maintenance (before exercise calories).
    If your BMI is under 30, then anything more then 1 lb a week is going to be frustrating and pretty slow going.