Support for Emotional addiction to food

Options
Although I am currently seeing results and love how I am looking, I am addicted to food. I am still trying to learn how to break that obsession because I know if I do not, once I finish this round of shots, all of my weight loss will be for not.

I have to learn not to indulge. Any guidance? My problem is that my husband is very hard on me about my weight and what I eat so the moment I get away from him I binge.... I'm gonna show him right? NOT! It only hurts me but mentally I feel like I am winning.

Help guys?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion where you could lose 200 pounds of dead weight...

Your husband.

Have you thought about a little therapy? Using a substance to cope is not a coping tool. I used to blunt my emotions with alcohol. Same thing.

If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution.
  • kdillon606
    kdillon606 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The only person who should have control over what you eat and how much you weigh is yourself. I think you need to talk to him and ask he not comment on food or your weight since it is more hurtful than it is helpful. I would hope that he understands and this will help you from feeling that you have to eat in secret which from what you've told us leads to binges. Indulging once in a while is completely normal. Trying to be perfect all the time is stressful and unnecessary.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Although I am currently seeing results and love how I am looking, I am addicted to food. I am still trying to learn how to break that obsession because I know if I do not, once I finish this round of shots, all of my weight loss will be for not.

I have to learn not to indulge. Any guidance? My problem is that my husband is very hard on me about my weight and what I eat so the moment I get away from him I binge.... I'm gonna show him right? NOT! It only hurts me but mentally I feel like I am winning.

Help guys?

you need to sort out your relationship with your husband first.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Try to keep only your non-emotional foods in the house. If you have triggers, don't bring it home. If you go out for it, limit it to one serving and don't beat yourself up over it. Log it and move on. Take it one day at a time. You can do this. Stay strong.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The best way to break the obsession with food, IMO, is to stop calling it addiction to food. Food is good, and when you start feeling food is bad, it becomes a compulsion. You have to break that cycle, and it will take some going out of your comfort zone.

I think you have to learn to indulge without overindulging. This means stopping eating in secret, and starting flaunting your enjoyment with food. That's a positive way to tell your husband to stop being an *kitten*.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion where you could lose 200 pounds of dead weight...

Your husband.

Have you thought about a little therapy? Using a substance to cope is not a coping tool. I used to blunt my emotions with alcohol. Same thing.

If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution.

"If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution." So simple, yet so profound. Going to use this as my mantra today. Thanks!