Streamlining logging

Options
2»

Replies

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I prelog up to three days in advance, but I can prelog the entire week. I've downloaded a shopping list app that has a Pantry feature and have listed everything in my fridge, freezer and main food cupboard, so I can check what I have and plan my meals and snacks accordingly.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I create "recipes" for things that I might make/eat regularly like a sandwich I order regularly or the powdered greens I make in the morning.
  • beer_buzz
    beer_buzz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday, I make-out my menu for the entire week. When I can, I log-in foods as I go, but when I can't, I just write then down in a little pad and enter them (all-at-once) at the end of each day. I also use the "QuickTools" to set-up meals that I eat all of the time, so that I can enter an entire meal with just 1 click. If you don't mind repetitive meals, using the Quick Tools is a godsend.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    When I get home from the grocery store, I pre-log that week's perishables, and maybe anything nonperishable that I plan to eat that week (rather than "stocking up" stuff that I'll stick on the shelf for the future). I put them in the diary a couple of days ahead, and each evening I just copy each of the meals to the next day (two days ahead), so they're always there when I want them. So I'm not actually planning specific meals, just making sure that I don't have to find and verify database entries when I eat the things I've bought during the week.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I log everything for the week when I do my weekly meal planning, I'm writing it all out for my grocery list anyway. I do meal prep for my lunches so I have those saved as either recipes or meals.

The meal option is especially helpful for basics I make often as it's easy to swap out the ingredients when I make it. Recipes are better when it's made the exact same way every time.
  • Shellytana
    Shellytana Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I log as I go or sometimes in the morning if I have prepped. I tend to stick to the same food types so its not too difficult. copy meal, save meal and recipes are crucial to me. I use the recipe when I make something for the family and divide by servings.
  • Redjedi1
    Redjedi1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I set a reminder on my phone, for when I'm relaxing at night. I mean I'm not doing anything but looking at a screen anyway, so I may as well make it prodictive
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I log in the morning during the week - I take a pack lunch (with snacks) so breakfast and lunch are easy. I have most meals that we have regularly saved (it runs to 3 pages!) so I add the one we a re having, or if I am changing something I add the nearest option and just swap out the changes. I also have restaurant meals saved by "Typical [restaurant name]" so I can pre-log if we are going out and just tweak it when we get back.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I prelog up to three days in advance, but I can prelog the entire week. I've downloaded a shopping list app that has a Pantry feature and have listed everything in my fridge, freezer and main food cupboard, so I can check what I have and plan my meals and snacks accordingly.

Do you mind sharing the name of that app?

• NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I try my best to meal prep on Sundays for the week. I pick two recipes that will tend to keep well and alternate them between lunch and dinner.

One of the recipes is usually a 'recipe' of salad by formula (a whole grain plus some veggies plus some greens plus some nuts plus some lemon juice/olive oil dressing).

Overnight oats or making a batch of oats at the beginning of the week (and freezing them in the muffin pan to make instant heat and eat 'pucks') with two flavors that alternate for brekkie. This week I'm alternating raspberries and sliced almonds with blueberries and sunflower seeds.

This lets me prelog the whole week on Sunday.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I usually have the same thing for breakfast every weekday (same brand and amount of yogurt, plus black coffee) which I log during work when I want to procrastinate. Usually on Sundays I lunch-prep, and I create the recipe and the serving size while I'm cooking (or right after). As for dinner, I estimate the best I can, since I am a huge take-out person. I've gotten better with making better take-out choices and weighing the components, but I can't kick this particular joy in my life yet =D
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same thing every day except dinner and maybe an after dinner snack if I'm hungry. So I just hit "copy yesterday" don't get any easier than that.

Enter recipes and use the weight as the number of servings. I use that same recipe to log it anytime I make it again in the future. (I'm not much of a recipe follower, I'm more of a "little of this, little of that" type of cook, so it's not exact but close enough for me)

Save meals. (I am a creature of habit, I eat a lot of the same things over and over so that does make it easier)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    I'm a "throw things together" cook. For some near-standard things, I save it as a meal (instead of a recipe), because then I can modify the amounts or delete ingredients right from my daily log page when I do a similar thing again (vs. having to do into recipe builder separately).

Also, on the prep front, the scale tips are a great time saver: Things like building a salad/sandwich on a plate (put plate on scale, zero it, add first ingredient, note weight, zero again, add second ingredient, zero . . . .), or using things like peanut butter from a jar (put jar on scale, zero, dip out a fork/knife/spoon full, note negative weight since that's what I just took out, use product, lick fork/knife/spoon ;) ).
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies - I'll definitely put some of these in place (I need to build meals for sure, I've only used recipes this far).

I did chuckle with leftovers... I have a family of 7 so we rarely have left overs ;)
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    If you rotate a few items for breakfast, lunch, dinners and snacks, set them up under “meals”.

This
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I don't prelog often. I have a small rotation of breakfast and lunches and use the Copy Yesterday / Copy From Date features frequently. For dinner, most everything I eat is somewhere in the last four pages of Recent. A few times a month I will try a new recipe and add that using the old recipe builder. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I am a creature of habit and have no problem eating the same thing day in day out.

Breakfast: I eat pre-packaged things, alternate two different products at a time for variety. Just have to verify entry the first time I eat product

Lunch: Cook it all at the weekend, measure it out and box it for the week at one time. Verify accuracy of my entry on day one and then use recent meals after that.

Dinner: Much less streamlined. LEft to my own devices I will eat pre-packaged goods, measure out portion size and verify accuracy my first time eating it. Bought a rameken for sauces so i can measure/weigh each night. SOmetimes we cook, or go out to eat and that gets a lot trickier.