Mental Health + healthy lifestyle

Options
Hey!

Undisputably, exercising and healthy eating has helped with my anxiety and depression.

But, recently that hasn’t been the case. Anxiety is bubbling quite often and no amount of running drowns it out. Does anyone have any advice for helping poor mental health but maintaining a healthy lifestyle?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you receiving treatment for your anxiety?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    healthy and fit lives only help with anxiety. it can help manage but it is not always the end all cure all.
    i'm healthy but i also receive additional help with my mental and physical health. they are not mutually exclusive
  • jasmineisnotcreative
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    While a healthy lifestyle is very important for those with mental health issues, it's not a cure-all for most people. I find your question confusing- "any advice for helping poor mental health but maintaining a healthy lifestyle?" Do you feel addressing mental health issues requires sacrificing a healthy lifestyle? At any rate, it sounds like you need more help than diet & exercise can provide right now.

I phrased things poorly it seems. I was referring to my own ways of coping when unhappy which is eat very unhealthily. I was wondering if somebody had any other activity which wasn’t as detrimental to my physical health.

I already know that losing weight and having a healthy lifestyle will not inherently cure every issue a person has. I am more lost because originally (for me) it seemed that that was the case. Healthy eating and exercise meant I was less vulnerable to bad thoughts.

Thank you for commenting! 😄
  • jasmineisnotcreative
    Options
    Without overthinking it too much (I know often a hard thing to do with anxiety), try and get to the root cause of your anxiety, without knowing what type of anxiety it is, it's hard to say, some have logical solutions, some not so much. For example if it's anxiety over something specific at work/with family/relationships having a coffee with a friend and having a chat about it can really lighten the load. If it's more clinical in nature and you have a doctor or therapist you're working with, it might be worth discussing your current treatment plan if it feels like it's getting out of hand.

Having a "toolkit" of things to help you unwind can be helpful, here are some of mine:
    • Take a bath
    • Listen to some music
    • Go for a walk somewhere with nice views - beach/park/etc
    • Borrow a dog for some fluffy cuddles
    • Watch some comedy - either live or tv/movie
    • Meet a friend for a meal/movie
    • Doing a workout

Thank you very much! Creating a list seems like a good idea! I think I’ll make one right now! ☺️
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great. It's also not a treatment or cure for every problem. Some health concerns (physical and mental) can be self-treated and some cannot. I would encourage seeing a mental health professional if you aren't already, or finding a new one if your current one is not helping. You should also continue running if you enjoy it, but it sounds like it's just not the best treatment for this particular need.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I do not have an anxiety disorder per se, but I am going through a very stressful situation that causes anxiety, and it indeed is tempting to stress-eat. I try to focus on healthy behaviors as a way to have something else to focus on aside from the source of stress, like planning out my workout schedule for the month and batch cooking and being especially careful at logging calories. These behaviors make stress-eating less of a possibility for me. None of it actually solves the problem, but the good news is that I don't have weight gain to deal with on top of my external stress!
  • ashleyrebekah392
    ashleyrebekah392 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've had anxiety since I was 12 or so. Worse as I've gotten older but since working out it's helped tremendously! BUT I still have days it sneaks up on me and I get the chest pains and feel anxious for no reason. Maybe talk to your doctor about your treatment plan. I plan on going soon. Yes the healthy lifestyle can help, it's helped me a lot, but it isn't a cure-all. Also love the list idea! Totally helps! Do what makes you relax and unwind! :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My dh and dd take medications to help manage their anxiety. Dd sees a therapist regularly as well.

Meditation or breathing exercises might help.
    If you don't do stretching or yoga you might try incorporating some of that.

Limiting caffeine. Both dh and dd have anxiety spikes when they have more caffiene.

Getting enough sleep.

Music, books, crafting or art, games, talking to someone, writing

Keep track of when you experience increased anxiety. Is there a trigger? Is it increasing at certain times of day/month? Does it relate to anything you are doing, eating, drinking? Do you have other symptoms?

Have you had a health check up? Anxiety can be a symptom of several physical medical conditions and seeing a doctor might be the best thing you can do.

• jasmineisnotcreative
    Options
    Hello everyone! Thank you everyone for commenting on my post. I am overwhelmed by all the genuine kindness and sincerity.

I have been diagnosed with ASD and ADHD. The anxiety and depression have came with the territory. I felt a lot better when I first started healthy eating and exercising consistently. Lately, despite my healthier lifestyle, bad thoughts are creeping back up. I originally made the post because I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience.

Also, I am really sorry if I upset anyone by insinuating that depression could be cured just by going for a little run. I phrased things terribly. I meant that my issues became more bearable with a healthy lifestyle (and also medication).

Once again, thank you for the support! 🧡☺️
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You should seek professional counselling. I have dealt with anxiety over the years and counselling has helped me alot.
  • CrazyPixie12345
    CrazyPixie12345 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    My dh and dd take medications to help manage their anxiety. Dd sees a therapist regularly as well.

Meditation or breathing exercises might help.
    If you don't do stretching or yoga you might try incorporating some of that.

Limiting caffeine. Both dh and dd have anxiety spikes when they have more caffiene.

Getting enough sleep.

Music, books, crafting or art, games, talking to someone, writing

Keep track of when you experience increased anxiety. Is there a trigger? Is it increasing at certain times of day/month? Does it relate to anything you are doing, eating, drinking? Do you have other symptoms?

Have you had a health check up? Anxiety can be a symptom of several physical medical conditions and seeing a doctor might be the best thing you can do.

This is fantastic advice!!! Especially doing a craft activity that you enjoy- even if you're not an expert, it can be so calming to work on a craft project like painting, drawing, sewing, crocheting, knitting etc. :smile:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Undisputably, exercising and healthy eating has helped with my anxiety and depression.

But, recently that hasn’t been the case. Anxiety is bubbling quite often and no amount of running drowns it out. Does anyone have any advice for helping poor mental health but maintaining a healthy lifestyle?

When you're at home, play music.

Go for walks. If it starts to feel like the walls are closing in on you, go outside, away from walls.

Exercise is good. It doesn't care everything but it helps. Strenuous exercise can distract you in the moment and leave you too tired to care.

Take up hiking. Spending hours in nature is theraputic. You'll end the day feeling like you've accomplished something after a hard, scenic hike.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I echo everyone that says, find a mental health care professional. For some people their mental health is helped enough by physical activity (or even just being outside) so that they can maintain their ability to function well, but that isn't he case for everyone, myself included.

I have chronic major depressive disorder (I do not not dysthymia/persistent depressive disorder as my depression is more severe) and anxiety. There is no way that I'd be able to do things like go to school, cook, and just generally take care of myself if I wasn't in therapy. Heck I probably wouldn't be able to exercise if I wasn't in therapy. Personally meds don't work for me (I tried multiple meds over the course of six years), but they work for a lot of people. My anxiety is a lot easier to control and plays a smaller role in my day to day life than depression does, but it's still very much there.