Americans!!!

Options
I’m going on a trip to America next week and was wondering if the calories are posted in the menus at restaurants like in Canada ?? Thank you!

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Depends on the restaurant - the larger chain menus will have calories but the smaller 'mom and pop' places usually don't.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Depends on the restaurant - the larger chain menus will have calories but the smaller 'mom and pop' places usually don't.

Yup... I think there is a federal law that states if you have so many restaurants you have to have them. Have a great time aye. Lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, small restaurants are often tastier than chains... I avoid them like the plague so I have to guesstimate a lot.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Yup... I think there is a federal law that states if you have so many restaurants you have to have them. Have a great time aye. Lol

Even then I think it just says they have to be available, not that they have to be on the menu. Our restaurants are also notorious for serving portions larger than listed in nutrition info; some things appear to have a reasonable calorie count but you are getting two servings as a dinner portion.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    There are also variations in state laws, so it will depend on what state(s) you are traveling to.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy myself if I were you and do your best to log while also allowing yourself good foods!!
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    As other have indicated, chain places may have it on the menu, or a downloadable PDF where you can find such information.

Other places, not so much. In such cases, I will estimate based on similar entrees at larger establishments. For example, last week, I had blackened fish tacos for lunch. The place I visited had no nutrition info. I found similar tacos described on-line that indicated 208 calories/taco. I logged three even though I gave my 19 year old daughter half of one to try...

I just try to stay away from my daily max calories on such days to give margin.
  • taytayfit94
    taytayfit94 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Some do and some don't but you can always modify things to fit into your macros here :smile: no biggie just order the healthiest options with (no bread, side of veggies, etc.)
  • SouthernMamaUnderConsruction
    Options
    Most of the time-consuming no.. but some places do. I guess it depends on the state and what restaurant you go to
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    In NYC - most restaurants do not have calories on menu.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You’re not likely to find calorie counts unless it’s a chain restaurant (which, frankly, I’d avoid—you can usually find better options than chains). When nutrition info is available, it’s usually on the restaurant’s website if you want to plan ahead.