Confused about activity Level and calorie intake- working day and night shift

Options
Mrsindepenant1
Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
edited August 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I am currently working day shift on farm Monday to Friday or sometimes just 3 days a week and night shift at a horse stud 3 5 hour shifts a week. I’m only managing at the very max 10,000 steps yet they are both very physical and active jobs. When at home I do my parenting duties and clean the house but am fairly sedentary. My mfp is set for me being sedentary because I don’t work out and couldn’t manage more than 10k steps a day.
My first night shift was last night and I found it’s made me super hungry. Should I readjust mfp? I’m currently on 1200cal because I was only doing 3 days a week and studying and was fairly sedentary when I first joined.
Otherwise so I don’t affect my weight loss, how can I curb the night shift cravings? And keep within my calorie intake over 18 hours of being awake (every second day)

Replies

• Mrsindepenant1
    Options
    Should probably add I’m still studying on top of this so have a lot of sit down time.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Activity levels on MFP are supposed to be based on your daily life WITHOUT exercise.

Sedentary only takes into account 3k steps or so. It is for people with desk jobs and people who spend the majority of their day sitting.

Based on what you describe, you should be at least set to lightly active or Active.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your activity level on MFP doesn't has nothing to do with exercise...it's activity...it's your day to day life. Working on a farm and horse stud isn't sedentary...me sitting at my desk for 8-10 hours per day on a computer is sedentary.

Depending on where you look, sedentary is anywhere up to 3,000 steps or 5,000 steps depending on source. 10K steps isn't sedentary regardless of whether or not you do some sitting to study.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Your activity level without exercise sounds like lightly active to active not sedentary at all.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    10k steps is active.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Options
    So I should change my activity to active or lightly active?
    Sedentary has given me a 10k step goal and i barely meet it however I do have a very active job, lots of heavy lifting, wrangling stock and carrying stock, heavy buckets and all that kind of stuff.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    So I should change my activity to active or lightly active?
    Sedentary has given me a 10k step goal and i barely meet it however I do have a very active job, lots of heavy lifting, wrangling stock and carrying stock, heavy buckets and all that kind of stuff.

The step goal has nothing to do with your activity level.

The 10k step goal is a default recommendation regardless of activity level setting. 10k steps a day is the recommended amount a healthy adult should take a day for health benefits. It does not mean a Sedentary person takes 10k steps.

Typically what I can find suggests:
    lhdok07nnwaf.jpeg

The activity you have described screams active to me, but at the very least you would be lightly active. There is no way that level of activity should be considered Sedentary.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've found the most accurate thing to be setting MFP on sedentary and syncing it with my fitbit.