• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    Ask your doctor but I think anemia is pretty easily managed w/ an iron supplement. And once you're within a normal range- I think it's business as usual with regard to your exercise and/or diet.

ditto that. im anemic and its never stopped me from doing anything.
  • suse33
    suse33 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Once your iron levels are back up, you will notice a huge difference working out. I am anemic and after two weeks of iron supplements, my running speed was back to my normal pace. I had been struggling with my training and thought I was way out of shape, but it turned out to be my iron levels.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I avoid intense cardio and do body weight exercises for strength. Lots of props, relaxed pace. This is in addition to being treated with biweekly injections and having my doctor's permission to exercise. Progress has been slow, but definitely noticeable due to dedicating myself to do it for the rest of my life.
  • Amykaye271
    Amykaye271 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I haven't talked to my doctor yet i go Thursday and im going to speak to her about it but I went to the gym this morning and I keep getting tired and light headed I couldn't finish
  • Amykaye271
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    Ask your doctor but I think anemia is pretty easily managed w/ an iron supplement. And once you're within a normal range- I think it's business as usual with regard to your exercise and/or diet.

ditto that. im anemic and its never stopped me from doing anything.

It has for me
  • Amykaye271
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    I avoid intense cardio and do body weight exercises for strength. Lots of props, relaxed pace. This is in addition to being treated with biweekly injections and having my doctor's permission to exercise. Progress has been slow, but definitely noticeable due to dedicating myself to do it for the rest of my life.

I do body weight exercises as we but I get tired and kinda dizzy
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Amykaye271 wrote: »

I haven't talked to my doctor yet i go Thursday and im going to speak to her about it but I went to the gym this morning and I keep getting tired and light headed I couldn't finish

How do you know it's anaemia?
  • Amykaye271
    Options

My doctor said I have anemia I took blood work I was saying I haven't talked to my doctor yet about working out
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options

My doctor said I have anemia I took blood work I was saying I haven't talked to my doctor yet about working out

If you're struggling so much, wait until your treatments start taking effect. If you're getting dizzy, your body is screaming to do less.
  • Amykaye271
    Options
    Vune wrote: »

If you're struggling so much, wait until your treatments start taking effect. If you're getting dizzy, your body is screaming to do less.

OK thank you
  • Amykaye271
    Options

Did your doctor test both iron and ferritin? Testing both is very important.

Yes
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other about waiting until you feel better before expecting to be able to do a normal workout. I'm anemic and have crippling fatigue when it's not managed.

There are many forms of iron and the first two my doctor gave me did not get both my energy and iron levels back up. I'm currently taking iron bisglycinate and do not experience constipation that other iron supplements can cause.

For better absorption, take with vitamin C.
  • Amykaye271
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I agree with the other about waiting until you feel better before expecting to be able to do a normal workout. I'm anemic and have crippling fatigue when it's not managed.

There are many forms of iron and the first two my doctor gave me did not get both my energy and iron levels back up. I'm currently taking iron bisglycinate and do not experience constipation that other iron supplements can cause.

For better absorption, take with vitamin C.

OK thank you