Nausea from too much Protein??

Options
Hi Guys,

As advised by my new trainer i have upped my protein intake quite drastically...
My protein intake was around 30grams a day, very low i know.. I've been a vegetarian for the last 7 years of my life..

i have just recently started to incorporate salmon and tuna and protein shakes into my diet.
My protein intake for the day is now around 140-160g

I feel Nauseous all day, and really bloated.
is this from all the protein i'm taking in.
Has anyone experienced something similar and will this go away..?

Replies

• chovest81
    Options
    increasing protein can cause flatulence and bloating...and your body isnt used to it so i would say you could attribute the nausea as well
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    Wow, that's a really drastic change...you may want to slowly aim for adding more protein into your diet. 100g a day would be plenty anyways- maybe just aim for that amount right now & see how you feel. You might be overdoing it on the protein & your body is letting you know!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If the protein shake contains Creatine it can cause bloating and nausea
  • jmkrauss
    Options
    I've got the same issue. I say ease into it and eat some good carbs with your protein (ex. fruits, veggies). Eventually, your body will adapt. Too much of something, right away, can cause nausea. It did that to me when I increased my protein and again when I incxreased my fiber.

Also, if you're adjusting from being a vegetarian, you can still increase your protein by eating more tofu, edamame, cheese,etc.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It could be the protein shakes. they're not all made the same and people can have real problems with nausea and bloating from those. Which are you taking? It doesn't pay to skimp on protein shakes. I find BSN Syntha 6 are good. and the Isoflex are good too. and as mayhem says it may be the creatine. notorious for bloating and nausea.
  • cmwaddell
    Options
    I'm using International Protein WPI
    i wouldn't say i'm skimping on it either, its about $125.
    I'm not sure if it contains creatine, i will have to check that.

I also thought it could be the dairy in it..
    i otherwise don't take in any dairy other than the occasional cheese.

Thank you
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I know if you're not used to eating a lot of protein you get the diarrhea and gas until the flora in your body adjusts to it, not sure about nausea but it could be possible.
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 12 years and when I started eating meat I started slowly and it still made me pretty sick for awhile. Maybe it's just the change in diet?
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm using International Protein WPI
    i wouldn't say i'm skimping on it either, its about $125.
    I'm not sure if it contains creatine, i will have to check that.

I also thought it could be the dairy in it..
    i otherwise don't take in any dairy other than the occasional cheese.

Thank you

ohhh i wonder if you're lactose intolerant. that would cause all those problems. you could try a nondairy protein shake and see if that makes a difference. they do exist, but i don't know any. i'm sure that the store where you got yours will sell them.
  • colezuver
    colezuver Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how quickly so many people are to jump on the "lactose intolerant" train. If you were lactose intolerant you would have recognized it long before your sudden addition of protein shakes to your diet. Your problem is probably simply too much protein coupled with how you are incorporating it into your diet. Too much protein absolutely can cause nausea. I consistently maintain a very high protein diet through natural foods as well as protein shakes and even still every once in a while I'll down a protein shake and feel a little nauseous. There are a lot of different whey protein options out there, don't hesitate to try different ones. I've had some that bother my stomach, while others not at all.

Beyond that make sure your trainer is qualified in nutrition and is giving you a meal plan that is based on your body and your goals. People will try to throw things out about diet as if they are fact when in reality everybody is different and everybody's activity levels very.

Good luck with your goals.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I had to swap to soy protein because whey caused this problem for me. After I swapped I had no more problems!