to run or not to run?

Options
i absolutley HATE running. i know i should but i just do not enjoy it at all. instead i put my treadmill at an incline and walk at 4 mph. will i still get the same benifits?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    do you like the elliptical?

im from ames btw xD hehe
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    your heart rate won't get up as high so you won't burn as many calories. i used to hate running, then i did the c25k program and it made me love it. check it out. couch to 5 k (c25k.com). and it has a great app for your ipod touch/iphone/smartphone. good luck!
  • kasrentz
    kasrentz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    your heart rate won't get up as high so you won't burn as many calories. i used to hate running, then i did the c25k program and it made me love it. check it out. couch to 5 k (c25k.com). and it has a great app for your ipod touch/iphone/smartphone. good luck!

I agree with the above. I used to HATE to run and vowed I would never do it. Then I gave c25k a try and fell in love. Now I can't wait for my runs!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The best exercise for you is the one that you will enjoy and actually do. If you hate it, don't force yourself to do it. There are plenty of other ways to get your heart rate up.
  • cfaye01
    cfaye01 Posts: 20
    Options

I also LOVE the C25K program!! I recommend it
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I hated running as well until I started doing it. Now I love it and can't get enough of it :) Did my own version of c25k.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    Walking is good as long as you are getting your heart rate up in the cardio zone. I used to hate running too but finding other people to run with helped a lot and now I really enjoy not only the challenge but the social aspect.
  • jmkrauss
    Options
    I hate running too ... and my knees hurt, even though I have some pretty rockin' running shoes. It's just really hard on my knees. I just brisk walk, instead, and tie 5-pound ankle weights to each ankle ...
  • kimberly130
    Options
    The best exercise for you is the one that you will enjoy and actually do. If you hate it, don't force yourself to do it. There are plenty of other ways to get your heart rate up.

There are so many other things, try the elliptical, bike, stair-master ect. if you do it at the highest (that you can do) resistance for 10 min than do strength training, than a 10 min cool down, I find you burn more calories and you slim down quicker. (this came from a trainer)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't do it unless you want to. Walking is a great way to exercise.
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I never, ever....ever, thought I would enjoy running. But, I do! C25k is awesome. Running is an amazing workout. You use your whole body! It is much more fun outside, I have learned, and unless you train with an incline, more of a workout. I found with walking, I just could not get my heart rate up, to really be considered a cardio workout. Walking is a great exercise, and you can results, but to get more bang for your buck, running is where it is at!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i absolutley HATE running. i know i should but i just do not enjoy it at all. instead i put my treadmill at an incline and walk at 4 mph. will i still get the same benifits?

yes. you don't have to run to get a good body. Running is actually very hard on the body.. but if you wanna give running a try, you should try because you probably could get good at it!! If you really don't like it, stick to doing elliptical or walking =] or swimming or whatever else you love doing :D the point is really just to get moving !
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

this is VERY false. I run cross country.. you can DEFINATELY get your heart rate as high from doing other exercises. This is HORRIBLE advice, and it is very discouraging.

FOR THE RECORD-- my heart rate running at a 8:30 pace is usually around 175... my heart rate while on the elliptical is usually around 185....
    :D !

Heart rate can go up when you PUSH yourself hard. Put the incline up on the tredmill, and your heartrate will go up...
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

First I want to say any exercise is GREAT! You are pushing yourself to walk a fast and hard path- and as long as you feel challenged and satisfied with the burn then stick with it!

If you are looking to run and think that hating it is your only obstacle then I suggest as others have the C25k program-it's fabulous! Also - get off the DREADmill :wink: There's nothing worse than trying to run multiple miles on a treadmill (I've run as many as 9.5 mi in my long runs and still 2 miles on a tread mill just KILLS my spirit).

But if you are happy with what you do and it fits into your life, honestly that's all that matters in the long run (no pun intended).
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What is a c 25k?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with evverything said above... unless you are specifically training for a running event (5k , for example), then try to find something that you enjoy, that you dont't have to force yourself to do.

To your question... if you are talking about running on a treadmill vs walking on a treadmill, then you'll get similar results privuded you get your HR up. If you are talking about running outside vs walking on a treadmill, then the results (ie exertion) will begreater when outside. Most treadmills are motor driven, and that privides some degree of assistance that you don't get when outside.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. I do Turbo Fire DVDs and really like them.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options

yes. you don't have to run to get a good body. Running is actually very hard on the body.. but if you wanna give running a try, you should try because you probably could get good at it!! If you really don't like it, stick to doing elliptical or walking =] or swimming or whatever else you love doing :D the point is really just to get moving !

i can run i just dont like it! lol i pushed myself to run 3 miles on the treadmill and did it in 31 min 57 seconds