Just one extra mouthful

Options
I want to share a small victory (well it's pretty big for me).
There are so many bad habits that let us down, we think we are eating healthy and doing the right thing but those nasty little bad habits that have slowly crept in sabotage us without us even realizing it. Step one is to recognize them and then start changing them into good healthy habits.
Well last night after work I cooked dinner and did some cooking for the rest of the week - tick - healthy habit - planning food for the week so I don't just grab what is quick and easy. Fast forward a couple of hours and meals were cool enough to be cut and portioned into meal servings. But there was this bit that didn't quite fit into the container, it was an inch away from my mouth before I realized what I was doing, NOOOOOOOOO! But it smelt so good, I couldn't throw it out, it didn't fit, it's just a mouthful or two, it's good food not junk, NOOOOOOOO!
I made it fit into the container!
How much do I put into my mouth without even thinking about it. Well now I'm trying to think about it and last night was the first step to breaking one bad habit and developing new good habits. It was actually very hard not to eat that last bit of food last night even after I had recognized what I was doing, I wasn't hungry, I just like food and it was good food and I really did want to eat it.

I am in control - Food will not control me!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Nice positive post :smile: All the best.
  • Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I literally have to remind myself it’s ok to leave food on the plate. Also ask myself , am I actually hungry or just bored/lonely/stressed. It has helped a lot .
  • bevsteg
    bevsteg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh, food on the plate! I was taught never to leave food on the plate as a child and it is so very hard now. I have to say I still clean my plate so I just my my plate smaller.
    As an emotional eater I often eat when I am bored or lonely and definitely when I'm stressed.
    I am trying to use MFP as a boredom buster. When I have nothing to do I jump into my computer and talk to you guys and before I know it I'm still thinking about food but NOT about putting it into my mouth.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'm all for logging accurately and not sneaking extras when I'm focused and determined to achieve my goals.... But if you've prepared a bulk recipe and accounted for all the ingredients in X serves that you're planning to eat over the week, an extra mouthful on one day just means one less mouthful on another day. The calories will balance out and your body is none the wiser!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I read on MFP once:
    "Better to go to waste than to your waist"
  • bevsteg
    bevsteg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As a lifestyle change I want to break the 'mindless eating' habit. I think that mindless eating sabotages our overall ability to maintain weight once we have lost it, as I for one, don't want be counting calories and logging food for the rest of my life. (I will if thats what it takes!) How many 'just one extra mouthfuls' do we eat without even realising it? Becoming aware is the first step to a mindful eating lifestyle. I also cook for my family so don't eat everything that I prepare.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If you don’t mind me telling you a story- I joined Weight Watchers. This was probably week #2.

I was fixing something for the kids. Usually my wife did that, but I was doing it. There was half a piece of cheese. What to do with it? No more room on those burgers.

The cheese was in my hand, my arm moving, elbow bent, mouth open. Came a voice- How many points is that?

I knew by then that soft cheese was a lot of points for not much. Answer was likely 2. A lot of points to spend on one bite. I don’t recall what became of that cheese, but I didn’t eat it.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Knowing you are rationalizing is a step toward success. Rationalizing a nibble is so easy--sort of like blowing your monthly $ budget on Starbucks. (It's only a cup of coffee!)