Always Hungry!! Lowest calorie, highest bulk?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Is 1200 actually appropriate for you?

I am a 5’ 28 year old woman, my doctor said 1000-1200 calories per day is actually good for me while I am losing weight, to maintain though I usually stick to around 14-1500 or so but right now I am losing-I don’t stick to 1200 every single day, I definitely go above it somedays but at least 5 days a week I need to eat around 1200 and maybe 2 days per week I can have 1500ish but I usually end up having more than that on high days like 1650 at least once a week. I try to change it up so my body doesn’t get too used to being right around 1200 I usually do 2-3 days and then spike the calories a little higher the 4th day, helps me lose weight overall faster I’ve noticed.

How much are you losing on 1200?
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    When I'm keeping my kcal low, I actually have more success with lower quantity, high calorie foods. (I eat out more than I should but) grabbing some chicken strips and eating a couple of their greasy deliciousness keeps me happier, fuller, and more comfortable than constantly eating apple slices and carrot sticks. You could have two eggs and two pieces of bacon for breakfast (300 kcal), 2 chicken tacos w/ avocado and some veg & salsa for lunch (400 kcal), for dinner -chicken alfredo (430 kcal). For healthy snacks between, carrot sticks (30 kcal) & a cup of strawberries or watermelon (50 kcal) . And just like that youve had a delicious day of bacon, tacos, and pasta for 1,210 kcal!

That sounds delicious!!! I’m actually going to try this and see how my body feels-thank you!

Awesome!!! Report back and let me know how you feel!!
  • MixedbarbieMOM1991
    MixedbarbieMOM1991 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Drink more water.
    I
  • sonyajohnston1006
    sonyajohnston1006 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I am a 5’ 28 year old woman, my doctor said 1000-1200 calories per day is actually good for me while I am losing weight, to maintain though I usually stick to around 14-1500 or so but right now I am losing-I don’t stick to 1200 every single day, I definitely go above it somedays but at least 5 days a week I need to eat around 1200 and maybe 2 days per week I can have 1500ish but I usually end up having more than that on high days like 1650 at least once a week. I try to change it up so my body doesn’t get too used to being right around 1200 I usually do 2-3 days and then spike the calories a little higher the 4th day, helps me lose weight overall faster I’ve noticed.

Since I stick to between 1000-1200 calories per day in food intake (if I don’t work out, which I am recovering from a broken ankle so not working out atm) for at least 5 days per week and eat under 1700 calories the other 2 days per week I usually lose at least 1.5-2lbs per week or so. It varies as my calorie intake varies but I haven’t lose most than 2.5lbs in a week but that’s because I always eat over 1000 calories to make sure my body doesn’t go all crazy on me.
  • sonyajohnston1006
    Options
    Drink more water.
    I

Haha I should have edited my original post-I drink more water than most people in a day I would think. Actual cups I am probably drinking right around 10-12 cups per day-I think I am just in the midst of shrinking my stomach so I’m trying to come down from being a high volume eater to a moderate eater... eater helps but I can only drink so much.
  • sonyajohnston1006
    Options
    *water helps*
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? Skimping on protein definitely makes me hungrier.

Between meals I eat a lot of fruit for snacks, but I try to pair it with something that contains protein to help me feel more satisfied (i.e. sliced apple with a spoon of peanut butter, cup of strawberries with a yogurt, an orange with a handful of almonds, cup of grapes with a piece of lowfat cheese...)
  • sonyajohnston1006
    Options

Since I stick to between 1000-1200 calories per day in food intake (if I don’t work out, which I am recovering from a broken ankle so not working out atm) for at least 5 days per week and eat under 1700 calories the other 2 days per week I usually lose at least 1.5-2lbs per week or so. It varies as my calorie intake varies but I haven’t lose most than 2.5lbs in a week but that’s because I always eat over 1000 calories to make sure my body doesn’t go all crazy on me.

If you're losing 1.5-2 lbs a week, your maintenance most definitely isn't 1400-1500. It's more like 2000+. You can most definitely afford to eat more if hunger continues and lose 1 pound a week.

I guess that’s what it was for me before, if I stayed at 1500 calories every day I wouldn’t lose or gain weight really but that was a couple years back... I am only 1 month into this for a second time so the weight is coming off quickly but it will slow down after a few months for sure.

• sonyajohnston1006
    Options

So there is no way your maintenance is only 1500 cals.

Aiming to lose more than 2lb per week is unhealthy and unnecessary. You could eat 1500 every day and still lose consistently. No wonder you're always hungry.

I am not aiming to lose more than 2lbs per week but sometimes it comes off quickly in the beginning, I am assuming it is still water weight coming off... it will slow down I am sure within a couple weeks but after I am used to eating lower calories for 8+ months or so I do usually maintain at around 1500 calories per day, everyone’s bodies are different I guess it is just how I am or at least how I was the last time I was losing weight and then maintaining. Haha if I could eat a lot more and not gain weight I surely would, I love food 😅 I have eaten 1000-1200 calories each day since Monday and lost roughly 1.5lbs but today I am going out and will have a total of 1600 before tomorrow morning so it all evens out throughout the week I feel. Anyways, I am not really looking to be told by someone who doesn’t know me or my eating habits or anything about my health exactly how many calories I need to consume to be healthy or to maintain my healthy weight (I am currently losing and not trying to maintain), I’ve already had this discussion with my doctor who I feel is qualified and I trust her to not lead me astray. I am looking for high bulk foods with low calories that people seem to enjoy eating so I can play around with my food and menu to see what may fill me up more so I don’t feel as hungry, I am a somewhat high volume eater so that’s the kind of stuff I am looking for on this thread. I am being healthy and trying to better myself and get into shape, not starve myself etc. Thanks!

• bluvvitch
    bluvvitch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lol I know this was posted awhile Go but I didn’t see anyone mention oat fiber or psyllium husk. Both have little to no calories and oat fiber is good for bulking things up (there’s a lot of cool recipes on YouTube) and psyllium husk is a natural appetite suppressant and is in brands like Metamucil. I’ve just recently started using psyllium husk and it’s great.
  • sonyajohnston1006
    Options
    bluvvitch wrote: »
    Lol I know this was posted awhile Go but I didn’t see anyone mention oat fiber or psyllium husk. Both have little to no calories and oat fiber is good for bulking things up (there’s a lot of cool recipes on YouTube) and psyllium husk is a natural appetite suppressant and is in brands like Metamucil. I’ve just recently started using psyllium husk and it’s great.

I have never heard of this!! I’ll definitely have to look it up and see if it helps at those days I need to feel more full, luckily my body has adjusted some since I started and while I am still hungry constantly it isn’t quite as severe-fingers crossed my stomach is slowly shrinking on the inside so I won’t need the mass amounts of volume I once needed-for now I load up on low calorie veggies mainly for the bulk but always looking for new ideas for super low calorie items that I can work into my menu.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bluvvitch wrote: »

I have never heard of this!! I’ll definitely have to look it up and see if it helps at those days I need to feel more full, luckily my body has adjusted some since I started and while I am still hungry constantly it isn’t quite as severe-fingers crossed my stomach is slowly shrinking on the inside so I won’t need the mass amounts of volume I once needed-for now I load up on low calorie veggies mainly for the bulk but always looking for new ideas for super low calorie items that I can work into my menu.

Your stomach doesn't shrink unless you have surgery.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    For me, I make a pan of mixed roasted veggies. Just whatever's at the store that looks good. Like carrots, broccoli, asparagus, red onion, garlic, zucchini, squash, sweet potato, mushrooms, whatever. Lately I have been making a batch of roasted veg's with all of my meals that way I can load up my plate with that, and eat a lot less of whatever else we're having (like pasta) it helps a lot especially since I am married to a man whose stomach is a bottomless pit. He can eat a lot more of the main meal and I can eat more of the vegetables.
  • zilahmessica
    zilahmessica Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Protein!! Protein—especially in the morning— and nutrient dense food!! Once I added those 2 things to my life—I stopped eating thru the kitchen at night, I stopped feeling ravenous...and stopped craving things that were less than ideal for my body/health....and unhealthy weight dropped off easily and fast!! And so many more other benefits to my health of course.

zjplgbkjcvb9.jpeg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Protein!! Protein—especially in the morning— and nutrient dense food!! Once I added those 2 things to my life—I stopped eating thru the kitchen at night, I stopped feeling ravenous...and stopped craving things that were less than ideal for my body/health....and unhealthy weight dropped off easily and fast!! And so many more other benefits to my health of course.

zjplgbkjcvb9.jpeg

@zilahmessica - wow, how many pounds did you lose in 6 months?
  • zilahmessica
    zilahmessica Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh. And MFP calculated 1,210 calories for me at 1lb/week weight loss when that first pic was taken (feb 2018). It took me 2 months to start adding in exercise. Exercise gives me another 250 calories or so....and now that I’ve lost quite a bit of weight and can be even more active in my day, MFP now gives me 1250 calories. The “after” pic was aug, 2018. Protein! Protein! Nutrient dense food!! Nutrient Dense Food!!! 💪🏼🌟🎉😁