Banana Bread Recipe - YUMMY (adaptable to YOU)!

Options
kandrews24
kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
Here is my low fat, no oil, low sugar, low salt, vegan friendly, diabetic friendly, FAMOUS banana bread recipe (with or without nuts)!

My tricks are that I use apple sauce instead of butter. I use splenda instead of most of the sugar, but I use some sugar so that it browns nicely. I also use egg substitute or egg whites to make it low fat, but I use two real eggs (it helps the consistency and with rising). I add nuts, because the calories are worth it to me. Walnuts have less calories than pecans. I also reduced the salt in the recipe and did not notice much difference. I've fiddled with the recipe A LOT and you can make it with no sugar and no eggs, but it doesn't rise and is kinda spongy, but flavor is good.

I make two loaves at once and freeze one. Then I'm set for a little over two weeks. One serving = 1" slice (8 slices per loaf). It is a decent amount. Using wheat flour makes it even more filling and healthy. You can keep out a few days, but then have to refrigerate. I love this most mornings with my tea and a piece of fruit. Holds me till lunch.

Banana Bread Recipe (low fat, no oil, low sugar, low salt) – MAKES TWO LOAVES, serves 16, 166 calories per slice (including the nuts)

INGREDIENTS

1 cup splenda (in place of all sugar)
1/3 cup brown or white sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (in place of butter)
2 large eggs
6 Tbsp egg substitute (in place of two more eggs)
2 cups mashed bananas
1/2 cup water (in place of milk)
3 1/3 cups all purpose white and/or wheat flour
1 Tbsp baking soda (keep in mind that baking soda has salt in it)
1/4 tsp table salt (this is less than original recipe)
2 tsp baking powder (keep in mind that baking powder has salt in it)
1/2 cup walnuts (optional 400 calories total, or 25 calories per serving)

DIRECTIONS

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat splenda/sugar and apple sauce alone.
Mix in eggs/substitute, water, and bananas.
In separate bowl, mix dry ingredients and then slowly add to banana mixture.
Stir in walnuts.
Bake for 1 hour on middle rack in non-stick pan (for nonfat) bread pan (or greased and floured pan)

Makes two delicious loaves = 16 servings (8 slices per loaf), 166 calories per 1" slice (including the nuts)!

THIS MAY ALREADY BE LISTED IN THE MFP DATABASE. IF SO, IT IS NAMED: "Banana Bread with Nuts (low fat, low sugar)".

Enjoy!

Replies