Is Curves enough??

Options
I do Curves 3 times a week and was wondering should I add more to my exercise?

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I love Curves..that's how I first started losing weight. It's both strength and cardio. I actually tried to go 4 or 5 times a week sometimes, or if I could only go 3, I would try to walk on the days I didn't go. It's up to you and what your body is telling you it can handle.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Sounds good ... The biggest hurdle for most people is incorporating exercise into their life. Good for you for fitting it in! Exercise is only a small factor in weight loss, diet is 80% so you have the exercise going, now to work on your eating plan:-)
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I went to Curves for years. I felt like it was enough for a while, but was getting bored with it after going for years. This year I quit Curves and joined a bigger gym with more variety and one that I could also take my whole family. I think over time you may feel the same and should at least start adding in some additional exercise to keep from hitting a plateu or get bored and give up all together. Keep it interesting and you will be successful.

I do miss Curves for the friendships though. When you go at the same time and work out with the same people for many years you do miss that.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I started curves last Nov but it wasn't until I changed my eating habits that I saw change. I have just finished 30DS and am starting Turbofire on weds.

I don't see the point in going to curves more than 3 times a week as the machines (if you are on curves-smart) will log you as an alternate workout day and make the machines less tough to give you an easier workout. I don't know if your plan can be changed at curves to allow more than 3 full workouts a week..you'd have to ask a 'curvette'.

But as said befor the diet is the most important factor, exercise as your body allows.

martyxxx
  • mleipe
    mleipe Posts: 54
    Options
    It depends on how quickly you want to lose weight!

The more calories you burn, the more weight you lose, assuming your food intake stays the same.

The more you exercise, the more calories you burn.

If you burn approx. 3,500 calories more than you ingest over a given time period, you should lose a pound.

You do the math!
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It depends, what are your goals?

I have over 100 pounds to lose, so I exercise 5 to 7 times a week. Depending on how I feel I work out anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes. I have lost 20 pounds in 11 weeks. That includes skipping a few days because of surgery and moving.

You could probably add in a couple days of 30 minutes of brisk walking. The CDC recommends 150 minutes (2.5 hours) of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise and muscle-strengthening activity two or more days a week for important health benefits. I'm sure you get this weekly with Curves, but if you feel like you should do more, then go for it. It can't hurt.
  • justineknight
    justineknight Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Curves combines cardiovascular exercise and strength training exercise into a 30 minute workout by using hydrolic equipment. Strength training is key to weight loss for many reasons: Lean muscle burns more calories at rest so the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism, it also protects your bone density, improves the ease of daily activities, and gives you a toned appearance. If you diet without strength training you will LOSE lean muscle mass! Your metabolism will slow and you will be forced to gain the weight back or begin starving yourself to an unsafe level to keep it off.
    At Curves, you strength train 3 days a week and have the option of doing Cardiovascular exercise on your off days or going to Curves for an alternate day workout. This is called Active Recovery. When strength training, you put microscopic tears in the muscle fibers and they need 24-48 hrs to rest and rebuild. The Curves Smart system does not slow down your alternate workouts to keep you from succeeding but just the opposite. Overloading the same muscles daily will cause a negative gain, muscle soreness, and lack of results.
    Remember to up your protein when you strength train too. Remember Curves members, if you ever have ANY questions, ask your Curves Circuit Coach or check out the message boards on MyCurves.com and the soon-to-be-released CurvesComplete.com