Cheese and weight loss

Options
I have been eating at a 600 calories deficit while lifting weights 4 times a week and hitting 10k steps a day every week. However, I include a lot of dairy in my diet as I try to limit my protein supplements to 1 scoop of whey. Most mornings I have 200ml of fat free milk and and 200g yogurt plus either cheddar, parmesan or 30g of camembert. Is this bad for losing fat?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you'd feel the need to limit whey powder but eat a pile of dairy... Which would also have whey protein

But it isn't bad.
  • thaevilgenius
    thaevilgenius Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you'd feel the need to limit whey powder but eat a pile of dairy... Which would also have whey protein

But it isn't bad.

I'm only trying to limit the whey powder to try and get protein along with other BCAA from natural food such as fish and diary as I'd have to but other supplements to fill the needs for other nutrients I need if I only rely on whey powder. The scale hasn't moved for 2 weeks now hence my question.
  • thaevilgenius
    Options

But it isn't bad.

I'm only trying to limit the whey powder to try and get protein along with other BCAA from natural food such as fish and diary as I'd have to but other supplements to fill the needs for other nutrients I need if I only rely on whey powder. The scale hasn't moved for 2 weeks now hence my question.

weight loss isn't linear. if you are being accurate in your logging and you are consistent then you will lose weight if you're in a deficit.

Yes I know that I'm very consistent and weighting and logging everything except for small things I cant weight so I just overestimate the calories to be on the safe side but that's only a rare occurence I need to start tracking my body fat
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

But it isn't bad.

weight loss isn't linear. if you are being accurate in your logging and you are consistent then you will lose weight if you're in a deficit.

Yes I know that I'm very consistent and weighting and logging everything except for small things I cant weight so I just overestimate the calories to be on the safe side but that's only a rare occurence I need to start tracking my body fat

so track your bodyweight if you wish... cheese eaten in a deficit wont affect that either...
  • JacobNicolaus
    JacobNicolaus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Agree with other posters - eating diary will not sabotage your weight loss, given an overall caloric deficit. In fact, some of the healthiest diets (e.g. Mediterranean) contain considerable amounts of cheese and oils.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Nope, should be fine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I have been eating at a 600 calories deficit while lifting weights 4 times a week and hitting 10k steps a day every week. However, I include a lot of dairy in my diet as I try to limit my protein supplements to 1 scoop of whey. Most mornings I have 200ml of fat free milk and and 200g yogurt plus either cheddar, parmesan or 30g of camembert. Is this bad for losing fat?

As someone with mostly Northern European genes, I digest dairy just fine, and love it, so I eat lots of it every day, as an ovo-lacto vegetarian. Since I lost 50+ pounds in just less than a year, I'd say it didn't hinder fat loss.

Yesterday I ate the following: About 775ml nonfat milk, 14g parmesan cheese, 180ml kefir, 112g Greek yogurt, and a single-serve piece of 2% milk string cheese. (This with no protein supplements of any sort - just food, and way fewer than 10K steps). Experience suggests I'll lose weight slowly if I keep up days like yesterday, because my calorie intake was a couple of hundred below my maintenance calories.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I eat a high dairy diet as well (comes with the territory in the midwest) and it has not had any effect on my weight loss or maintenence.
  • thaevilgenius
    Options
    Ok thanks I was just stuck at 72.4-.6 KG so I was wondering, looks like I'm gaining muscles as well hence why the scale is moving slowly. I eat a lot of dairy as I dont have any lactose intolerance and I love my cheese and milk but I weight everything making sure I dont overeat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok thanks I was just stuck at 72.4-.6 KG so I was wondering, looks like I'm gaining muscles as well hence why the scale is moving slowly. I eat a lot of dairy as I dont have any lactose intolerance and I love my cheese and milk but I weight everything making sure I dont overeat.

While you might gain a little muscle during weight loss, if you are following a well structured lifting routine, it's not going to happen at the rates of fat loss. Even in ideal conditions (a calorie surplus), men can gain about 1/2 lb of muscle a week. Since it's only been two weeks, its more likely water retention.