AAaaaand, I'm BACK!!

Options
cesse47
cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
So, it's been about 5 years but here I am again. At least this time I'm back before hitting 300 lbs. ok, not by much but still ... it's a step in the right direction.
I joined the Weight Watcher on-line program but am not impressed. Doesn't give me any real information about the new program. Their food diary sucks. There's no way to track water consumption that I can see. So far, haven't seen any positive reasons for using it. However, if I cancel it, they charge a fee that's almost as much as what it will cost me to go for the full contract time frame.
So, came back to MFP to log my food and water. Feel much better being here than at WW. I really want to be more successful this time. Yes, I've set a goal ... but will be happy with any weight loss. Primarily I need to get back to the habit of drinking water every day and eating more healthy foods.
I think my biggest challenge will be to eliminate sugar ... in all it's forms. I have a huge sweet tooth. I know there are a few substitutes that work for me but think I want to wait 2-3 weeks so my craving is diminished somewhat so not so difficult to satisfy.
I'm not putting any major pressure on this first week or so. My main focus will be to reestablish habits that worked for me in the past --- drinking my water daily, reducing sugar dramatically, reducing salt intake, increasing vegetable intake, logging food and water daily.
I'm relatively inactive. It's probably the one thing I've neglected the most ... throughout my life. At 70, I have to be a bit careful about my choices. I'm leery about walking outside because if I fall I have no way of getting help. So, I need to come up with a plan.

And ... So, it begins ..... AGAIN!!

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're getting started on the right track!!

I understand about the issue of walking outside for now. Maybe that can wait until you get a little more fit? There are exercises you can do in the house that are in-place walking and they are good to just get you moving. But I'm sure you know that focusing on your food will be the best for weight loss. It's just good, at 70, to get moving and regain balance and strength.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 71 and we need to keep at this and change the way we eat long term
    Not just while we lose weight. Good luck I'm sure you can do this
  • cesse47
    Options
    Thanks CMNVA. I've subscribed on YouTube to Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home. I plan to target 3 times a week to start and, hopefully, gradually increase both times-per-week and length of time walking.

Thanks Dejavuohlala. I agree. I've been most successful at healthy when I've needed to keep a food diary ... either through Weight Watchers or here at MFP. I initially thought I'd rejoin WW and attend meetings but on my limited income, it's much too expensive.

Thanks for your comments and support. Good Luck with your goals as well!! :smiley:
  • cesse47
    Options
    Found a YouTube subscription for Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home program. Did my first one today. Chose the 15 minute beginner walk ... didn't even last 10 minutes. Looks like a long road ahead for me on the exercise wheel. :cold_sweat:
  • groovette
    groovette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yay you for being back! The great thing about each new day is a clean slate. It doesn't matter how many times we restart - the important thing is to never give up the fight! I have been on a "plateau" for half a year. I did WW for quite a successful run until a change of leaders in my class and a change to all those zero point foods, and I sorta lost my focus. It wasn't a plateau as much as it was a half-effort. I just couldn't find my strive - changes are difficult for me. Then during spring and summer there was a wedding to plan. The wedding has happened, the social events have ceased, summer is winding down. I managed to get through all that and only gained 4 lbs. I will take that as a success. Life happens. Remembering our minimums and doing what we can during high stress and busy times is key. I'm so happy I didn't give up, didn't fully derail, kept walking, kept "clean" foods in the house. But now I'm back to tracking water, bites, walking and find that MFP is a good way to move forward without rejoining the ranks of WW. It doesn't matter what plan and method as long as your mindset is positive and focused. It's OUR journey. Way to go Cesse47! Keep on keeping on track!
  • cesse47
    Options
    Thanks Groovette for the encouragement. WTG for keeping it together during the WW changes, the wedding, etc. You'll kick that 4 lbs in a short time now that you're back on track. So, celebrate all you've achieved this year and step forward with strength and purpose on the next day of this journey we're on. :smile:
  • cesse47
    Options
    Major rainy day here and looks like it will be for several more hours. Since I'm not walking outside - yet - it's not a problem. Plan to do the Leslie Sansone walk at home twice today ... hopefully for more than 5 minutes each this time. One step at a time, right? Start with baby steps, right? I am determined that I will do the whole thing in the next 3 weeks. Am managing the food intake ok. Still need to increase my water intake but am slowly getting better there as well. I think the most positive thing I see so far is I've maintained focus on healthy eating. Much easier to do now with all the fresh fruit and veggies available at the Farmer's Market.

So, today's focus -- get in my two walks and drink more water!! Have a successful day Y'all :smiley:
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    You made a good first choice by coming to back to take control of your health. Just take it one day at a time making sure you make healthy decisions about your lifestyle. Good luck!
  • kathitoo
    kathitoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi cesse47. You and I have so much in common! I too am coming back after a bit off, I have 100 pounds to loose. Exercise is a problem, I just don’t do it! Love water, not a problem but do have a large sweet tooth! My main problem is I have a thyroid problem and that makes losing weight extra hard, this week I am concentrating on reducing my sugar and all white carbs in all forms and trying to eat more veggies. I like veggies fine, just don’t reach for them first! I hope we can stay in touch and help each other. Check out Grow young fitness, it has been really helpful for me, geared to seniors and starts out slow. Keep up the good work!
  • cesse47
    Options
    Hi kathitoo, That 100 sounds way too huge ... so I try to not think about that and focus on -- the next 10. lol I hear you about the exercise. It's a real struggle for me. I'm trying to do the Walk at Home program which seems relatively easy but boy do I poop out early. If I can push myself to build up my endurance, maybe it will become more enjoyable. Thanks for the tip on Grow young fitness, I'll check it out. I'll send you a friend request if you don't mind. Have a good night. :smiley:
  • kathitoo
    kathitoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know, so I only do 10 pounds at at time too. I am doing a lot of mind games. Telling myself to walk like I am already at goal weight, makes me walk taller and good for my posture.
    I tried accepting your request, but it failed. Have to figure out why!
    Going to do my GYF, they have a face book page too. I like it because it is all like minded folks my age. Have a good day! Where are you? I am in San Diego.
  • cesse47
    Options
    I'm in Michigan. If you go to my profile, you can do a friend request there ... and then I'll accept your request. Good luck with your GYF.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am baaaaaack, too! After 4 years and lot of issues, I found my way here again 3 days ago.....the only place that was ever able to help me to lose weight. I gained back 20 of the 50 pounds I lost here after going through a bout of depression and other various mental issues. I am now, like you, ready to get serious and get the weight off.

My daughter recently lost 100 pounds on WW....it worked for her but it never did anything for me. Everyone is different.

I have a sweet tooth, too...got it from my mother (thanks, Mom....LOL!) But I beat the cravings the last time....you can do it too!

Welcome back and good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. :)
  • Crochetluvr
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Oh....one more thing. Try Leslie Sansone's walking videos....you can find them on YouTube. You walk in your house. I have the DVD's and they do give you a workout. Just a suggestion.

**Never mind....I see you already know about them. :)**
  • cesse47
    Options
    Hi Crochetluvr, welcome back! I know I'll get better at meal planning and water consumption. The exercise thing has always been difficult for me. I am determined to do better this go-round. Glad you've found your way back as well. I'll send a friend request. :smiley:
  • cesse47
    Options
    Still struggling to do exercise. Darn it! Just do NOT like it so procrastinate until the day is over. Need to find some sort of motivation to kick start me ... just haven't figured out what yet. Doing ok with food choices. Do need to increase water intake but know that will come in time. Biggest frustration ... exercise. So, that's my woe for the day.
  • Crochetluvr
    Options
    @cesse47 its MY bane, too. Today for sure I am going to pull up YouTube on my tv and do a Leslie Sansome video....just something to get me started. Hang in there....your mojo will come back!
  • cesse47
    Options
    Man, this exercise bug-a-boo is going to be a long haul. Put a sticky note on my bathroom mirror ... FIRST, you have to START. So, started my morning with a walk with Leslie Sansone. At least this time I made it for 8 minutes before running out of steam. Plan to do again this afternoon ... hope to hit the 10 minute mark.
    Went to the Farmer's Market yesterday. Picked up peaches&cream corn, small tomatoes, cucumber, small red radishes, and baby pickled beets (Amish, love'em). Also picked up a dozen Red Haven peaches. They are so yummy ... should satisfy my sweet cravings nicely. Was sorely tempted by Apple Cider donuts but couldn't buy one, only 6 ... so I resisted. YEA!! a Win!! :wink:
    Did better on water yesterday so hope to do so again today. I think giving up Coke for water is excruciating. Will probably allow 4 oz Coke as a snack tonight.
    I'm starting to see a reduction in sweet cravings. That's a good thing. Still using more salt than I should but from past experience I know that will lessen with time.
    Wishing y'all success with your day. B)
  • cesse47
    Options
    Need to do lunch but decided to get in another walk ... 8 minutes again! Tomorrow ... 10!! lol
  • Crochetluvr
    Options
    You are doing awesome, lady! I can only do 10 minutes of the walking video, but I took a short break, told Alexa to play some rock and I did some of the walking techniques on my own for another 10 minutes, albeit at a slightly slower pace. But I find I enjoy it more listening to music I like.

Keep up the great work!