Frustrated

Options
So, I have been doing this for about 2 months. I haven't been super dedicated to the food "plate/pyramid", but I am watching what I eat and keeping to the calorie count (mostly). I have also really started exercising. I go to the gym about 5 days per week and I ride the bike for ten minutes and then I hit the treadmill for 30 minutes and about three times per week I do a universal weight circuit. I am using a heart rate monitor to help keep me honest and I am really seeing improvement in my performance. What I am not seeing is the weight come off. How can that be? I am certainly eating less than I used to and going to the gym at all is more than I used to not to mention 5 times per week, how come I am having so much trouble loosing the weight? Any ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• routerguy666
    Options
    The dieting is going to make a much larger difference in weight loss than the exercise, so if you are kind-of-sort-of paying attention to your diet, well...
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    ^^

Yes but the exercise will have a more lasting, healthier effect, even if it is slower.

If you eat healthily (I don't know what you mean by less than you used to? You need to at least keep to under 2000 (f) or 2500 (m) I'd have thought) then the exercise will certainly make you smaller if you give it time and probably make you lose weight.
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Look at your diet for any hidden sugars that might be creeping in and also hidden carbs. I know that i like to drink the SoBe life waters and some of them have a good amount of carbs hidden in there. Also change up your work out routine take some classes at your gym or buys ome videos to do. That way you confuse your body by changing things and it will hopefully get the scale moving. Another thing is to check your measurments you may be losing fat but gaining muscle !!!!!
  • RAHJustice
    Options
    Also keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat so while you are exercising so much and building muscle, you may be toning more than losing weight....keep track of your inches as well, you may see a bigger difference that way.
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i went to the gym faithfully 4 days a week for 1.5 hours a day from April til July. I saw a whopping 5 pounds come off. thats it. I was frustrated beyond belief. i started to log my food religiously and am down almost 10 # in a month. it does play a huge part. Whole grains, vegetables, fruits. good food= fuel. my body responded to better fuel. but in the same token, gotta make sure giving body enough fuel. (not going into starvation mode) just my 2 cents from what ive experienced.
  • sadams977
    sadams977 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yeah losing weight is 80% diet 20% exercise.... If you're not eating "clean" getting plenty of fruits and veggies, it doesn't matter that you're hitting the gym so much. I only work out 3 times a week, the Jullian Michael's 30 day shred which is only a 20 min workout, and when I eat clean I lose 1-3 pounds a week. On weeks that I don't eat clean, I lose nothing, even if I work out...
  • julescromer
    Options
    frustrated: I agree with the diet focus. I use to do step class 5 days a week for an hour. I did that for 3 or 4 months. not an inch, not a pound. I thought I was watching what I was eating, but don't really know as I didn't keep track.

Exercise is very important, but you only do that for about an hour a day - the other 23 you have to watch what you are eating. and you gotta have both. one without the other is less than half as effective.

I had a heck of a time keeping track of my food, but I now that I have the app on my IPhone - so easy.

See if you can do it for a week
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    interesting, i havent changed my diet that much, just eating less of it and i find that so long as i stay under my calorie goal, i lose weight.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    What you eat makes as much of a different as how much you eat. Your diary is private so I can see what you are eating. Some general tips would be do not skip breakfast, cut back or cut out processed foods, refined white flours & sugars and fast foods. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein and also green leafy veg.and watch your sodium.
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you're eating, but I have to eat pretty clean myself in order to lose anything. Stay away from processed carbs. Eat raw or steamed fruits and veges - at least 3-5 per day. Eat 1-2 whole grains per day. At least 2-3 proteins per day. Are you drinking water..water, water, water. AT least 8 -8 oz glasses per day..if not more. Not drinking water can really stall your weight loss...believe me..I've been there.
    Good Luck!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Could you be eating too little? How many calories are you eating? It would be good to let us see your diary if you are keeping one.

I don't think low carb / unclean / low sodium really makes that much of a difference...
  • greatdragon
    Options
    I am think you said the addition of exercise is new, it is also possible that you are not seeing the loss in LBs due to you gaining muscle mass. when I started lifting weights last year I went down a pants size but gained 10lb
  • hlhouse
    hlhouse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So I'm no stranger to MFP. I joined about 9 months ago and logged "everything" or "almost everything" for 2 months and really didn't notice any weight loss. I was going to the gym 4-5 days a week and was like "WTF, why am I not losing anything?!" Then I fell off the wagon and ended up every heavier than when I started.

So...

Logging "almost everything" is where the hitch comes in. If it passes your lips, it goes on MFP. Measure foods. A half cup of ice cream is much different than you think it is. A cup of pasta is much smaller than you think it is. If you are sorta kinda sticking to the new food plate, cool. Even if you aren't, cool. But log your food and make sure you're staying within your calories. It will likely change your results. Now that I'm diligent, log everything and pay attention to my portions...I'm down 20 lbs.
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't give up..keep going.. like the rest said.. if you are lifting weights you are gaining muscle. Muscle will burn fat more efficiantly in the long run.

Keep up the good work!