Phrases That Help You Make Good Eating Choices?

Options
Some that I have been using:

1. I've had this food before; I know what it tastes like.
2. This food option will always be there. I don't need to eat it today.
3. I don't need this food to keep my body energized.
4. If I'm in a new place and see this food prepared a new exciting way, I will get it.
5. If I eat a healthier and smaller lunch, I can have a nice filling dinner.

If I'm dealing with food envy and watching friends eat delicious carb-loaded fatty goodness in big quantities:

6. I'm sure they'll let me have a bite of theirs, then I can experience it on a reasonable scale.
7. Some people don't have to pay attention to their food intake to be healthy. I am just not one of those people, and I can accept that.

One that I've used, but that I don't think is too healthy, is:

8. You will feel super insanely guilty if you go over your planned calories for the day.

What phrases do you find helpful?

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I use this one: I can eat anything I want, but I don't eat everything at once, and not all the time.

Omg I love it
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    1. I can have it tomorrow when I have enough calories
    2. Remember how it tastes, is it really worth going over calories? Sometimes things taste better in my mind
    3. I can have some now if I have a smaller dinner. Does that sound appealing to me? Remember how hunger feels. Is it worth it?
    4. I really like and enjoy many lower calorie options. Remember how good some things taste, does anything sound really really good right now? (creating a new cue)
    5. It looks like it the taste would be disappointing. I'll save some calories and have a really high quality one later.
    6. I've already had it several times this week. I think that's enough.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    "this is not a good idea"
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    1. That isn't going to fit into my calories for the day
    2. nothing tastes as good as skinny feels (yes, that's just vain but it works)
    3. you really don't need that today...maybe tomorrow but not today
    4. is that the healthiest choice?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    There’s nothing here for me to eat.

The only things for me to eat are x, y and/or z.

If I eat that, I’m going to have to count it.

Perfect is the enemy of the good.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    You can have everything you want. It's the portion size that made you sick, not the type of food. Some things just need smaller portions.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Does this fit into my calorie budget? If not, can I make it fit?

That's pretty much it.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Does this fit into my calorie budget? If not, can I make it fit?

That's pretty much it.

^ yep
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,320 Member
    Options
    I don't have any to add, but your #2 (I don't have to eat it today) has been extremely helpful to me for dealing with cravings and urges.
  • GeauxL
    GeauxL Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1. Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels
    2. If I still want/crave it by the weekend, I’ll treat myself then. (Most of the time I can’t remember what I was craving by the weekend)
  • dmille2
    dmille2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My mom had a fridge magnet when I was a kid that was something like “once on the lips, lifetime on the hips”. Ha
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    Being fat shouldn't be a choice so make a better one?
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Don't undo all the work you put in today.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    “This sugar filled food (cake, donut, candy) will contribute to atherosclerosis and high blood pressure, so I’ll only have a bite or two.”

I began using MFP to lose (belly) fat and to curtail some of the risks associated with my family history. The above comment helps me to remember that I need to be serious, but also that this is a lifestyle and it’s ok to have a bite or two of dessert once in a while.

I have 2 squares of dark chocolate every single night with a cup of tea, so I try not to have those bites too often. Maybe once or twice a month, and certainly not every week.
  • TheMagicOneMikeD
    TheMagicOneMikeD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    At one point I was telling myself "food is not for enjoyment it is for nutrition and the less I like it the better."

But it wasn't phrases that got me to the point where I often have to set reminder to eat all meals planned for the day or I won't end up eating all I'm supposed to.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    "would the 20 year old Lumberjacck eat that? Probably not."
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Do I want to bother with the cardio it will take to burn this off?
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Do I want to bother with the cardio it will take to burn this off?

Haha love this one! I'm a lazy girl at heart and this works for me nearly every time - also, if I have something near me I can't have I throw it out of reach so my auto pilot snack hands can't get if without actually moving then I have time to talk myself out of it.