New to weightloss... starting with keto!

Options
Wifett3
Wifett3 Posts: 24 Member
Female, 30, 5'5", SW 180, CW 180, GW 130 starting keto diet

I saved one slice of pizza in the fridge for tonight as my "last meal". Starting tomorrow, I eat only keto as my first attempt into weight loss. I'm on the fence about tossing all my carb-y noodles and pastas from the pantry to eliminate temptation since it seems so wasteful. Maybe I'll wait to see how I handle the temptation.

The plan
Week 1: Eat "lazy keto" while my body is just plain miserable adjusting during the dreaded keto flu. Food scale and MFP tracking on hand to keep me on track. Lots of bone broth and water to power through.

Week 2+: I'm going to start macros at 70/20/5% with 20 net carbs as those seem to be pretty common numbers I've seen in most places online. I'm not so sure about calories... somewhere in the 1300-1600 range? I think I'll have to do some more research and listen to my body and adjust as I go. I think the key for me willpower-wise be to feel good physically and to not feel hungry. Better to switch to a smaller deficit than to quit.

Week 3/4: I'll start exercising more once I get the hang of eating keto so I'm not too overwhelmed with too many lifestyle changes. I'm thinking lots of walking and various workouts on our row machine. Maybe try something new like rock climbing as there's a gym opening up near me this winter?

My fears
*I LOVE carbs. I could write so much on them but I don't want to make myself more miserable about giving them up.
*I HATE leafy greens, so many of them just taste so bleh or even bitter to me. The veggies I do like (sweet potato, onion, carrots) aren't exactly super encouraged with keto. Veggies might be a struggle. Luckily I'll be able to douse that green stuff in lots of fat to mask the flavor.
*I'm not always a fan of a lot of meat. The ability to eat tons of bacon and eggs doesn't really excite at all. Maybe I'll start craving more once the carbs are gone?

My strengths
*I have never been big on sweets so giving up those kinds of sugars should be easy.
*Alcohol is already gone. Red wine, gin, and whiskey will only be slightly missed.
*I could get used to eating meat and cheese platters all the time.
*I've researched a ton of copycat keto recipes to trick my brain into thinking I can still have pizzas and breads. Hope they're yummy!
*I have lots of kitchen appliances and do-dads. I should be able to sous vide some meat and instant pot some broth super easy and have something super yummy!

Unsure of...
*I'm not a big coffee drinker (I do enjoy an iced coffee on occasion). I'm debating starting to drink it regularly as I found a super yummy keto coffee that makes keto easier to swallow... get it? get it? swallow? cause its coffee? haha...
*I love fruit and will miss my citrus in particular but at least I can have some berries... hope it will be enough for me!
*I'm hit or miss with coconut (depends on the recipe) but its just in so many keto recipes in some shape or form. I'm afraid I'll either learn to love or hate it.
*I'm pretty indifferent about most nuts, except I love hazelnut. Will focus on that to start!
*I'm worried eating cleaner foods (especially proteins) will make a bigger dent on the grocery bills.
*I don't have anyone irl eating keto to reach out to. Parents are meat and potatoes, one brother is a toothpick and eats mostly junk or at restaurants, one brother eats a balanced diet, one sister is vegetarian, one sister is carnivore, and the husband is on a balanced diet... which brings me here. I think I needed to write this all down to keep me accountable. Please send me lots of positive vibes on my first ever weight lost journey!

Recap: Female, 30, 5'5", SW 180, CW 180, GW 130 starting keto diet

Replies

• RosieRosie1975
    RosieRosie1975 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi wiffet

This is my first ever post so just thought I would add...that I too am starting Keto today. ive been on mfp for a few years but never used it, Keto had been something I’ve dabbled with in the past but gonna kinda dedicate myself to it from now on, with a trial and error attitude and nothing to heavy. I have a holiday in two weeks for a week and always find restricting my carbs keeps the weight off on holiday and helps me not to loose control and give in to yummy temptations..I thought considering I will be doing Keto there it would be a good place to start and keep going. I have a good couple of stone to loose
  • Wifett3
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and the awesome link! I’ve already committed to keto for the time being, so I’d like to give it a solid go before trying a more balanced approach. It’s my first time losing weight so I didn’t have any past experiences of what to expect or what doesn’t work for me, so I decided keto based on the eating habits I currently had and would like to change.

I know it sounds like I’m making this more difficult on myself by choosing keto, but I know that no change of diet I chose will be easy and I think keto would fit in best for me in my life at the moment. There are A LOT more foods than I didn’t initially mentioned that I am really looking forward to having as well as trying some new ones. Just because I don’t automatically reach for the bacon like a lot of other keto-ers doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy my favorite egg salad for breakfast instead!

My biggest problem with my lifestyle is I have a bad carb addiction, and I know I can’t just cut back to more reasonable levels found in a balanced diet. I gotta cut it out cold turkey or I know I’ll be setting myself up for failure and binging on every carb in the house. This kind of goes hand in hand with another big selling point of keto, which I won’t feel hungry all the darn time eating less calories! When I get hungry I always go straight to carbs! Yes, I know I could give myself healthier options, but removing the carb option altogether will be easiest to force me to those healthy options until I can rewire my habits. I don’t believe carbs are evil. However, I do believe my relationship with how *I* eat carbs is pretty terrible. Almost as terrible as Jenny above saying she’s changing her diet while on vacation... Girl, you’ve got more willpower than I can imagine! You’ll do great!

At the time being, I’m extremely open to eventually transitioning into a more balanced diet by slowly reintroducing more but healthier carbs. I’m hoping that will be waaaaaay down the line when I’m happier with my weight or at least until I automatically reach for healthier options. I don’t really know what to expect, but I’m just going to try my best to stick with it! Thanks again for all the support!!! :)
  • RosieRosie1975
    Options
    Hey wiffett I couldn’t have put all the above better myself...that’s exactly why I like the idea of Keto, it annoys me my life is ruled and shaped around bloody carbs....it’s like a crack cocaine to me when I’m not controlling it

I literally can’t get enough

So I find Keto a relaxing change as it takes it right out of the equation

Them Keto fat balls are lush too and so easy to make, I have 100s saved on Pinterest

Please don’t big me up to much with the Keto holiday..
    There’s a reason for such madness

I can drink gin until it comes out of my ear holes...and don’t put in a pound lol

Not sure it’s too healthy though 🤔🙄
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I commend you for picking a way to eat that you feel may work for you. One never knows until they have tried. I follow low carb, not exactly keto, and it works beautifully for me. The immediate result of water weight loss gives me a boost in confidence. Sticking for the long term is what I need to keep the sugar cravings I have at bay. Low carb literally cuts my craving for sweets. I don’t have to “fight” off the cravings. And I stay satisfied throughout the day, not roaming around looking for what I can snack on. Good luck!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Good luck to you and I hope this will be a success for you,,I keep trying to cut carbs but tbh the more I try the more I crave so I end up binging on crap I don't even like! Was never a sweets person but knowing I"can't" have them makes me want all the sweet stuff >:) keep us posted on how it works for you,I know it is a great way of eating for lots of peeps <3
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I won't get into the discussion on sustainability. Low carb isn't for me. I wanted to learn to moderate all foods and it took a long time, a lot of patience, and persistence to learn the habits to be able to keep things like pizza and ice cream in the house and be able to enjoy them in way that fits into my plan. Some people find keto works for them and some don't.

What I did want to say is that you can avoid keto flu by managing your electrolytes. High sodium is the main one. Look up keto and electrolytes. You don't need to suffer through keto flu.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Be warned; going keto doesn't mean you'll lose weight.

I got a shiver of fear when you mentioned meat/cheese platters. Don't forget good fats vs bad fats... That'd absolutely murder my heart. Not to mention digestion.

What is your plan in terms of calories? PLEASE track them. Keto or not, healthy or not, you'll gain weight if you eat more calories than your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) on average.

I'm 100lbs down, and have kept it off for two years. Different diets do work for different people... For example, I also love carbs. So much. Rice is my bae. I prefer to not have them, as they are a trigger food for me in wanting to binge, but cutting them out completely makes it so much worse. You have to learn moderation.

You have to at some point. This is a life change you are making, not temporary. Gotta keep it off.
  • Wifett3
    Options
    Would people still be concerned about my going cold turkey if I said it was with sweets or cigarettes instead? Yes I know it’s a drastic change that will always be an incredible temptation. Unlike something like sweets or cigarettes, I can and do hope to bring back good carbs into my life one day, only in healthier proportions and hopefully when I’m done losing all this weight.

PrizedPopple, I’m especially touched by your concern. My doc started some initial tests to see if I have PCOS but other than being overweight I’m blessed to be in good health otherwise, and I come from great heart genes on both sides. Low carb diets actually just look at net carbs (carbs minus fiber=net carbs) so I can have plenty of fiber guilt free. Per several recommendations I've also purchased psyllium husk, a super keto friendly fiber, to help with days I don’t get enough from my other meals. I actually plan on reading up Googling a bit more on fiber. Any links/recommendations on good starting places? Otherwise, please tell your doc I say “hi” *evil smirk* and then take a picture of his reaction. The world can always use more smiles!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Wifett3 wrote: »
    Would people still be concerned about my going cold turkey if I said it was with sweets or cigarettes instead? Yes I know it’s a drastic change that will always be an incredible temptation. Unlike something like sweets or cigarettes, I can and do hope to bring back good carbs into my life one day, only in healthier proportions and hopefully when I’m done losing all this weight.

PrizedPopple, I’m especially touched by your concern. My doc started some initial tests to see if I have PCOS but other than being overweight I’m blessed to be in good health otherwise, and I come from great heart genes on both sides. Low carb diets actually just look at net carbs (carbs minus fiber=net carbs) so I can have plenty of fiber guilt free. Per several recommendations I've also purchased psyllium husk, a super keto friendly fiber, to help with days I don’t get enough from my other meals. I actually plan on reading up Googling a bit more on fiber. Any links/recommendations on good starting places? Otherwise, please tell your doc I say “hi” *evil smirk* and then take a picture of his reaction. The world can always use more smiles!

Sweets - still largely carbs, but one that is advocated to consume in moderation - are not in the same realm as cigarettes. You say going back to it with healthier portions at a later date. Many of us are pointing out that by total elimination you are not learning the skill to moderate intake. Someone else even points out that it had only resulted in a binge. Also, why give up fruit you love for this? Being miserable sucks when it comes to "dieting", been there, done that... it didn't last very long.

I've used psyllium husk, and while that worked for awhile to up my fiber it didn't agree with me in the end (and bluntly, drinking that stuff is disgusting). I've moved on to chia seeds and Cheerios to up my fiber on low days. I have too much respect for the man who saved me from cancer and constant colon infections to disregard what he has to tell me when it comes to treating my body properly.

ETA: I also have PCOS and Hashimoto's, yes I'm a walking trainwreck of health issues, I dropped all my pre-diabetic markers and even some of my PCOS side effects by simply staying within my calorie goals to lose weight. I didn't even stress on my carbs.
  • Wifett3
    Options
    PixelPuff, I completely agree that eating keto is not enough to lose weight. This week I’m testing the waters with various new meals and just getting a feel for hitting my macros while trying to keep calories at a deficit. Once I get the hang of that, I’ll focus on hitting my calorie deficit goal every day. After that, maybe I can try a bigger deficit. I’ll see where I’m at as I have no way of knowing how I’ll feel.
  • Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to add some fibre, it might be worthwhile to try chia seeds. I add a tablespoon to my proten shake just about every morning and they are pretty much pure fibre.
  • jhendricks123
    jhendricks123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey, congrats on making a change!! And while ANY change of diet is challenging, I don't see why a keto-esque diet has to be any more difficult as many have suggested.

I didn't intentionally start a keto style diet, I just kind of shifted that direction since I wanted to avoid carbs anyway. And right now I'd just call it low carb, not keto. In any case, my hunger has dramatically decreased over time, my energy is up, and I've found that I only need ~1200 kcal/day to feel satisfied. I don't feel like I'm depriving myself, except when my wife brings home donuts or pizza! But even then, I can say no to the donuts now that my initial addiction to carbs has been broken, and I just eat the toppings off the pizza - those are usually low carb!

You can do it, just be diligent about tracking your carbs, and your macros. Try to always make food choices based on where your macros are at for the day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Wifett3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be as concerned, because cigarettes are genuinely bad for you (and they smell nasty), and you don't need anything, physically, from sweets, and sweets is a neutral word, and much more clearly defined than "carbs", which often gets separated into "good" or "bad", which is no just confusing, but a threat to relationship with food.

But then there is the question of whether there's a point in cutting out sweets. Are they detrimental to your health? Not in moderate amounts.

This leads to the question I left out initially, of where to draw the line between sweets and not-sweets. What about fruit flavored yoghurt? Soda? Cinnamon rolls? Chocolate milk? Jam? If you're not eating sweets, will you still be eating hamburgers and pizza and fries? Drink cocktails? So what is the purpuse?

And then there is the question of what happens when you try to cut out sweets completely. Can you do it, or will you overeat when you can't anymore? Your mileage may vary, but I have yet not met one person who can. Some people don't eat sweets, but that's because they don't like it, so they don't cut them out, they just don't appeal to them. Just like a non-smoker doesn't crave nicotine (not comparing sugar and nicotine).
  • RosieRosie1975
    Options
    I make Keto sweet..
    Fat bombs and pancakes???

Fat bombs are to die for.....and I only need a couple as a snack
  • RosieRosie1975
    Options
    Oh and the fibre deficit

I have a tablespoon on psyllium husk each day...it cost pennies and does the trick nicely