My total calorie goal went up????

Options
I am trying to stay around 1200 calories/day and just tonight I noticed that my total daily calorie allowance is 1350. I do not remember changing this manually. I’ve been logging my food for almost 3 weeks now, and can’t seem to lose a pound. I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong. I know my food choices aren’t the best, but calories seem to be still around the 1200. Why am I not losing? And why did my calories suddenly change to 1350, when it has been 1200 for three weeks now???

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Did you add exercise?
  • AlliH621
    AlliH621 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    No, it’s before exercise. I think I just figured it out. It say 1350 at a goal of 1/pound loss/week. I changed it just now to a goal of 1.5/pounds/week and its back down to 1200. I must have clicked that by accident.

I’m starting to not take too seriously my exercise calorie deficit, because what if it’s not accurate and I didn’t actually burn that during my cardio exercise.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Personally I would change it back to a pound a week. In order to lose 1.5 pounds a week your goal would be 1100 calories, but 1200 is what's given to you as that's the minimum intake.

That said if you aren't losing you're probably eating even more than that. How are you measuring your calorie intake?
  • AlliH621
    Options
    Ok. I’m just logging everything as close as I think it can be. Meat ounces could be off because those are just estimates. I’m scanning labels for everything else like protein powder, frozen fruit, crackers with homemade chicken salad, etc.
  • AlliH621
    Options
    No I don’t weigh the meat or anything actually. For example I cooked shredded chicken tacos in the crockpot last night. Would you recommend I weigh my cooked meat before I put it on my plate? I’m just checking....should it be measured raw or cooked? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.
  • AlliH621
    Options
    It seems very difficult to me to know how I can know exactly how many calories are in things with added ingredients. How can I come up with an exact number? That is why I haven’t bothered weighing, just close guesses when it comes to homemade recipes.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything by the gram. Unless it's liquid then measure it by the mil
  • AlliH621
    Options
    Ok. Thanks.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    AlliH621 wrote: »
    It seems very difficult to me to know how I can know exactly how many calories are in things with added ingredients. How can I come up with an exact number? That is why I haven’t bothered weighing, just close guesses when it comes to homemade recipes.

And that is why you’re not losing.

For homemade recipes, weigh the ingredients before you put them in, and then divide by the number of servings you get. You can use MFP’s Recipe Builder for things you make a lot. Some of your servings will be a little over and some will be a little under, but overall it’ll be exactly right.

Also, don’t forget the oil you cook it with!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Weigh your food
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Couple of threads around here about why to use a scale.
    Here's a video on it.

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

And that is why you’re not losing.

For homemade recipes, weigh the ingredients before you put them in, and then divide by the number of servings you get. You can use MFP’s Recipe Builder for things you make a lot. Some of your servings will be a little over and some will be a little under, but overall it’ll be exactly right.

Also, don’t forget the oil you cook it with!

If you aren't sure if the number if service you're going to get, there is a work around.

1. Weigh every ingredient before you start coming.
    2. Put the recipe into the recipe builder and put in a random number for the services as a place holder and save the recipe.
    3. Do your cooking.
    4. Weigh the total finished product in grams, minus the weight of the dish it's in.
    5. Change the number of servings to the total weight in grams.
    6. Whenever you have some, the weight in grams of your portion becomes the number of servings.

This works because your saying that each gram of food is one serving. I do this a lot when I prep good that is for my partner and I and I expect to eat it for a couple days.