Need Help Setting Milestones Plz

Options
Hi,

I need to lose 3 kilos (6pounds)

And I don't know how to set the milestones.

I'm on holiday right now but on my regular routine I go to the gym (Orange Theory) once or twice a week.
The OT program is usually 60 mins of nonstop intense interval workout (30 mins running at different speeds, followed by 30 mins of strength, floor, weight or rowing exercises). I usually burn between 380-480 calories in these sessions.

I gave myself till the end of this year to reach a fitness level (not just weight) that I'm happy with. Working backwards, how do I organize the schedule into milestones?

Any advice?

I would like to still go to OT sessions. The OT program isn't supposed to be adopted daily due to the intensity. So I have to have rest days and I noticed I function between with rest days but not too long of a gap. So I thought I could do Blogilates at home or swim although I usually soak in the latter rather than actually do an activity.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    well what is the fitness level that you want to achieve?
  • JacobNicolaus
    JacobNicolaus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That gives you, what, 16 weeks?

You can lose 3 kg in 6 weeks with moderate calorie deficit and an exercise routine. That puts your weekly milestone of 0.5 kg loss per week (with plenty of time if you happen to lose weight slower).

After that, it's 10 weeks of strength training, I would suggest. Strength training can be split by muscle group, so you could visit gym almost daily, and just work on a muscle group per session. This alleviates the need for a lot of rest days, and allows you to routinely improve yourself.

As for the specific goals - talk to a gym instructor about how to track your strength improvement. You'd usually increase the weights you work out with, or the number of sets, or the number of reps per set - depends on what you want. From my experience, if you are just starting, you'd be able to increase your strength workload every other week.
  • Pinkturnip
    Pinkturnip Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I gave myself 3 months cuz there are days I just crash and I don't want get up back on my feet easily.

Going to the gym everyday is a bit too much for me. I'm currently 56 kilos and it's making my life miserable. I want to go back to my usual weight which is 53.

I suck at strength training. I can't lift more than 3 kilos but I'm really good with cardio based workouts (dancing, running, rowing) but weight and strength training I'm the worst in.

But if it's the fastest way to lose I'll try it. I just know myself that everyday is too much for me. I have sensitive back, knees and I'm petite. I don't function well with carrying huge weights or kettles.

So I want to start small.

• Pinkturnip
    Options
    Tavis, aside from losing the excess, I want to raise my endurance. I was doing really well before the holiday. I was depending on cycling here but I didn't consistently workout as planned.

I want to be able to run longer and feel overall stronger but I don't know how to 'quantify' that into milestones.

How do I do that?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    omega160 wrote: »
    Tavis, aside from losing the excess, I want to raise my endurance. I was doing really well before the holiday. I was depending on cycling here but I didn't consistently workout as planned.

I want to be able to run longer and feel overall stronger but I don't know how to 'quantify' that into milestones.

How do I do that?

to get better at cycling and running you need to start cycling and running.

so start cycling if you want to cycle. sign up for a 5k or 10k if you want to run, and get the C25K app.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You're already very light. Taking 3 months to lose 6-7 lbs is reasonable.

As for not being able to lift much--that's completely normal for an untrained person. Remember that strength training is training done in order to get stronger. Think of it like piano lessons. When you first start piano lessons you're not expected to already know how to play the instrument. You learn and improve along the way. When you first start lifting, you're a beginner and the learn and improve along the way.

If you want to get stronger, start with a basic beginner's program. Strong Curves may be a good book (get the book, not just the free template online and not the ebook.) That book has 3 full body programs. One is bodyweight only (pushups, bodyweight squats, etc.) It's 12 weeks long but the program changes slightly every 4 weeks. If you started with it in the next week or two, you would be finished by the end of your goal period. Then you could either move onto the beginner's lifting program that's in the book or find another program.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

How do I do that?

Lots of running program. I just did a program to increase for my regular 5k to 10k run. that has been completed, and I am continuing to increase to 15k. The program is about short steady pace runs, hill repeats and one long run a week that is 10min run slower pace and 1 min walk. We increased one km every few weeks or so as the goal was success without injury.

This weekend I hope to hit 15k. Preparing for a race in 4 weeks.
  • Pinkturnip
    Options
    I will get the book. Thank you so much for all your comments.

I will try!!

I never really saw any use for lifting to be honest. But in a way it did strengthen my body a little.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I will get the book. Thank you so much for all your comments.

I will try!!

I never really saw any use for lifting to be honest. But in a way it did strengthen my body a little.

if you want to run, the best thing you can do is start strength training as well to minimise injury
  • Pinkturnip
    Options
    Tavis, I see. Will try!