Apple Watch vs Fitbit?

Options
I currently have the Alta Fitbit. I'm wanting something with a heart rate monitor to better track my burned calories as well as my steps. Which do you prefer for this? I also thought the apple wathc would be nice so I wouldn't have to carry my phone while working out. Thanks

Replies

• annebaby1431
    annebaby1431 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had several fitbits an only one held. I converted to Apple Watch last year and I LOVE it
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love my Apple Watch.
  • YannaChandell
    YannaChandell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    APPLE WATCH!!
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out the Amazfit Bip. It’s basically an Apple Watch for a fraction of the price.
    https://forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2018/06/17/amazfit-bip-smartwatch-review-cheap-applewatch-fitbit-price-fitness/#3a9c262f2fdc
    I got mine at the beginning of the summer and am extremely satisfied.
  • Ashley_Nicole83
    Ashley_Nicole83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My first gen iwatch is still going strong, like new
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out the Amazfit Bip. It’s basically an Apple Watch for a fraction of the price.
    https://forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2018/06/17/amazfit-bip-smartwatch-review-cheap-applewatch-fitbit-price-fitness/#3a9c262f2fdc

@born_of_fire74 , does it have an app or can you synk it to any other workout apps, does it work with MFP?
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »

@born_of_fire74 , does it have an app or can you synk it to any other workout apps, does it work with MFP?

It uses the mi fit app. I don’t believe it can be used with MFP—I enter my data from it manually. That said, I’m not much of a techie so it’s possible I just didn’t try hard enough.

Hmm, i just realized that link i gave is no good. Sorry about that. I stumbled across the Amazfit bip when my swim watch broke a short while ago. If you google it, you will find all kinds of articles and reviews, mostly positive because it has a fair bit of functionality but is quite inexpensive. I got mine for $130 on Amazon. I’m very happy with it.
  • IvyReisner
    IvyReisner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have tried both, and Apple Watch is better as an overall smart watch (I can use it as a row counter for knitting for example). I love it and won't switch. But is is a lot worse as a workout watch.

The bad
    • I've been at a dead run and I can feel my heart racing, only to be told my pulse is 73. Huh?
    • I've accidentally left the workout app turned on (in the next update, it will, like Fitbit, autodetect) only to find it thinks I burned 600 calories sitting on the couch watching a Supernatural marathon.
    • Right now it think I worked out 20 minutes and burned 110 calories because I was sitting down previewing an Aaptiv workout to see what equipment I would need (it said weights in the description, but not how heavy).
    • Yesterday it told me I ran for 7 minutes at 8.6 mph. A- I can't run that fast and B- I was walking.

The good
    • You can download music or Aaptiv workouts to it and run without your phone.
    • You can, with the cellular model, get text messages and phone calls if you are out without your phone.
    • You can, with the cellular model, use Apple Pay if you are out without your phone. That saved me once when I got lost on a run and was able to get ride home from a cab service that took Apple Pay.
    • You can use it as a stopwatch. You can set alarms on it. You can use it for reminders. You can use it for timers. It has a limited version of Siri (I hate that I can't remember where I parked with it -- to find the car, I understand security, but prima facie, I know where I am standing right now. That secret can't be kept from me. I'm only asking it to keep track of that information.)
    • Many fitness apps have Watch components.

So I question the usefulness of the fitness data, but the functionality makes it worth it.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I was trying to decide between Fitbit Versa and Apple Watch and picked the Versa. I've had it for a little over a month and I love it. The main deciding factors for me were price, having everything (sleep, steps, workout info, MyFitnessPal info, etc.) in one app. Apparently to see all of this info on the Apple Watch you need to use 2-3 apps. I can still see texts and calls on my Versa, I just can't respond. The heart rate monitor seems to be accurate, as well as the workout auto-detection, step counter, and how it records my sleep. The only thing I'm missing is GPS when I'm running but I have an old Garmin watch that I wear on my other wrist during runs.