Calorie Intake Questions

Options
Good Morning!

I've been through a lot the past year (split from my husband in September 2017 and am raising our son full time) and am finally getting back on track with my weight loss. I am 30 years old and started my journey in 2016 (post baby) at 250lbs and as of this morning I am 179.5 lbs, which I have been stuck at for about 2 weeks now.

According to myfitnesspal, to lose 1lb a week with a typical office job of sitting all day, I should be consuming 1300 cals. I workout 6 or 7 days a week, usually on my lunch break for about 30 min and try and mix it up. Some days just cardio and some days strength training. On weekends I have my son attend the kinds club at the gym so I am able to do a more intense workout in a class. Yes, I realise only working out for 30min a day is not a lot and may prolong my journey, but I work full time and want to spend quality time with my son in the evenings.

Does 1300 cals sound right? Should I be "eating back" the calories I burn during a cardio workout?

According to the trainer that did my fitness assessment at the gym last month, I should weigh between 140-145lbs at 5'6. So I still need to lose at least 35 lbs (seems VERY overwhelming!). I have no "goal date" in mind as I want this to be sustainable for life, but every lb I lose, I'm hoping will help give me my self confidence back after such a whirlwind year!

I also wanted to add that I do have PCOS, so I do my best to watch my carb and sugar intake, but having PCOS does make it that much harder to shed the weight!

Thanks in advance,
Ashley

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the calorie goal should be set by mfp. it depends on your activity level. it is possible the formula gave you 1300 cal.
    you are supposed to eat your calories back. you can try eating all or a portion and see what the weight loss is. often, calories are overestimated. i found my garmin is close.
  • ashleyallen87
    ashleyallen87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    the calorie goal should be set by mfp. it depends on your activity level. it is possible the formula gave you 1300 cal.
    you are supposed to eat your calories back. you can try eating all or a portion and see what the weight loss is. often, calories are overestimated. i found my garmin is close.

Ok - thanks for the advice, a couple people I have talked to have told me that "most people don't eat back their calories". These people aren't exactly fitness gurus thought haha was hoping this community would have better insight.

My activity level is probably somewhere between low to middle. I sit at a desk from 8-5, but I go to the gym everyday on lunch. I try my best to be active in the evenings, whether that is taking my son to the park or going for a walk with him. Our weekends are usually more active. I try and do a class (boot camp) Sat & Sun in the morning, and then we are usually busy doing some sort of fun activity for my son in the afternoons.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,041 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    So - set your Goal to "Lose one pound per week."

Whatever it says for "Lightly Active" eat that amount.

Eat a couple hundred more on the days you go to the gym at lunch. Not 1000 more, just a couple or three hundred.

Log all your food.

Do that for 4-6 weeks, then adjust according to results.

It's the experiment we've all had to run, so you will need to also. The numbers given are good starting points. If you stick with it for a while, you'll know if it's working. Don't make big changes every couple weeks, though. That's not long enough to trend. I had great success (80 pounds lost) with eating all the exercise calories. Your experience could be the same - or different.

And probably the most important thing? Trust yourself. Your own data is your guide.

The fewer people I talk to about this stuff, the less I have to listen to their "advice."
  • ashleyallen87
    Options
    The fewer people I talk to about this stuff, the less I have to listen to their "advice."

How true that is with weight loss AND other things such has my separation! I've certainly learned that EVERYONE loves to have their opinion about my personal life! With both my weight loss and separation, I've had to limit how much I share!

I will happily eat the extra calories I have burned from my workout :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,041 Member
    Options
    Right? Everyone is an expert.

• ashleyallen87
    Options
    Right? Everyone is an expert.

No doubt!