Stadium Food Calorie Counts

Options
I recently went to a concert at a sports facility. The menu boards at the concessions stands had calorie counts for all of their items, which was really nice and helpful in making decisions. The calories were about what you would expect for hot dogs, pizza, nachos, etc.

BUT, then I saw the calorie count for their cheeseburger. A single cheeseburger was listed at 1300 calories! My husband ordered it, and it was not very large, one beef patty, one slice of cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion. No other condiments. Fries were not included.

The double cheeseburger, which is just an extra patty and extra slice of cheese, was listed at 1600 calories. So, obviously, the beef and cheese only account for 300 calories.

Where is the other 1000 calories coming from? It is served on an "artisan" bun, which was also not terribly large. Has anyone ever heard of a 1000 calorie hamburger bun?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no, that's not right. With fries, sure.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no, that's not right. With fries, sure.

Yeah, you definitely had to buy the fries as a separate item, and they were listed at 450 calories. So odd, especially since everything else seemed to be reasonable counts.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    :lol: Go figure that mistakes are made.

We should give that a name.

How 'bout Human Error. (?)
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    I DEMAND PERFECTION! :p
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    There was probably an asterisk in there somewhere that stated the 1300 calories was for a combo meal with regular soda and fries or something like that.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    There was probably an asterisk in there somewhere that stated the 1300 calories was for a combo meal with regular soda and fries or something like that.

That was definitely not offered, my husband would have ordered a combo meal if they had them. He had to order his fries and drink as separate items and they each had their own calorie count listed. It's gotta be just a mistake on their part.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone skimped on the meat and cheese on your husband’s burger?

An “artisan” bun will likely run 200-300 calories. They may have brushed the bun with oil, which would be an extra 100-200 calories. The menu might have assumed a 100 calorie serving of mayo that wasn’t on your husband’s burger. The veggies are maybe 25 calories. I still can’t think of a way to make it add up.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    your best best bet for concession food would likely be a hot dog or a smokie. Ya their processed as *kitten*, but pretty good macros for the most part. Pair that with a coke zero and a chocolate bar, if your trying to stay on track.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

That was definitely not offered, my husband would have ordered a combo meal if they had them. He had to order his fries and drink as separate items and they each had their own calorie count listed. It's gotta be just a mistake on their part.

What stadium? I wonder if they have it posted up on the vendor's website?
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    Ha, so the website for the food vendor did not have the calorie counts listed, but did have a more detailed description of the item. Apparently, the burger was supposed to have "special sauce" on it. My husband's definitely did not. That sauce must REALLY be "special" for that many calories. :D
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Even if the ‘special sauce’ is pure fat and they put on 2-4 tablespoons, that 200-400 extra calories. Still doesn’t seem very likely!

There’s a dine-in movie theater near me with spectacularly high calorie counts. I suspect Guy Fieri himself is creating the recipes because no one else could figure out how to create a menu with almost everything over 1200 calories. That stadium must be using the same catering company.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Trick on why restaurant hamburger buns taste so good from working in the industry:. About 2 tablespoons of butter (if being healthy - if not, the grease/lard is used) is spread on the bun before warming it up (that's why it gets all crispy when lightly toasted). Also, to make the beef all shiney, glistening, and tasty - the same technique is used. The bigger buns (which are used for stadium food) average about 250-300 calories, add 200 calories of butter... Just the bun could have 500 calories. This is why so many amazibg burger joints have super high calorie contents on thier burgers, fat taste good - they know it, and add it.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    It doesn't surprise me considering the calorie counts on fast food hamburgers. I wonder if they used the cheap high fat ground beef, the cheese may have been cheese food, and the bun may have been buttered. I think the cheapest of the ground beef is like 20% fat - and I am sure they don't drain the meat. Or maybe they have just jacked up the calorie count on items that take more effort to make - to encourage people to order something else. I guess you could always call the concession and ask them about it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Could easily be 1200 calories....