Vegetarian protein sources

Options
Does anyone have a list of vegetarian protein sources? I remember people sharing a rather extensive list amongst the forum at one time but can't seem to locate it. My friends daughter is vegetarian and she's worried that she isn't getting enough protein. She asked if I could help with ideas and I remembered seeing a nice list being shared on here.

I know I could just Google a list but that would be time consuming and I'm lazy. Besides the list that went around here was really good and included lots of ideas that I probably wouldn't come up with on my own.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, milk, tofu, tempeh, yogurt, soy milk, edamame, beans, chickpeas, green peas, lentils, buckwheat, chia seeds, hemp seeds, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, artichokes, Brussels sprouts.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth also have a decent amount of protein in them. Plus, other seeds beside hemp, nuts, and other legumes not listed above.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth also have a decent amount of protein in them. Plus, other seeds beside hemp, nuts, and other legumes not listed above.

As these may contain protein, they are not protein sources. They are carb and fat sources with some protein. The amount you’d have to eat to distinguish it as a protein source is ridiculous. Are you a lacto vegetarian? Cause dairy products are a great way to get in protein
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite articles about getting enough protein while eating plants: https://food52.com/blog/14291-how-to-get-lots-of-protein-as-a-vegan

If your daughter is also eating animal products, she can add those to some of the approaches suggested here.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas, beans (black beans, kidney beans, baked beans), lentils, tofu, tempeh, nuts, seeds, wheat gluten (seitan) etc.

Also, do they like direct meat substitutes? As most of those, while not always the healthiest options (depends which ones you get, if you make them yourself etc) contain a decent amount of protein too, usually from soy and/or wheat gluten.

You're welcome to take a look at my diary if you want as well. I'm vegan so don't have dairy and eggs though, but there's other plant based sources in there.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Siggi's Icelandic Yogurt. Wallaby Aussie Greek Yogurt. Beyond Meat and Field Roast fake meat products like chicken strips (60 g protein for 400 Cal) and sausages.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I don't eat meat but I do consume dairy so this list is helpful for myself as well.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    As these may contain protein, they are not protein sources. They are carb and fat sources with some protein. The amount you’d have to eat to distinguish it as a protein source is ridiculous. Are you a lacto vegetarian? Cause dairy products are a great way to get in protein

It all adds up; a protein source is a protein source, and at the end of the day it doesn't matter whether you're getting X grams of protein from one source or from ten different sources spread throughout the day. I don't believe there is an official level of percent protein caloric content required to state that something is a "protein source" - that's your assumption. If you're asking about my personal diet, I'm a mostly lacto ovo pescetarian except for certain periods when I eat vegan for religious reasons. I know what I'm doing and I'm getting plenty of protein in my diet.

That wasn’t my intent. My intentions were saying how much quinoa you’d have to eat to actually get a decent amount of protein. And in terms of being most optimal, the bioavailability of protein does matter! I just listened to a great podcast I’ll link below that can help out.

https://youtu.be/_qoyoItiB1E
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Cheese, nut butters, Greek yogurt, eggs, nuts, seeds...