Hi all :)

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm Emily and I'm 28 years old. Im a serial dieter and determined this time to stick at it.

Current weight - 14st 8lb
Goal weight - 10st 7lb
Height - 165cm
Weekly goal - 1.5 pound a week
Activity level - lightly active
Daily calories - 1570

Main reasons for losing weight -

I have arthiritis in my knees, losing weight would improve this tenfold.
Be healthly
Feel good about myself again.

Ive set my weekly loss at 1.5lb to make it acheivable for me. I have a habit of going in all guns blazing and losing steam pretty quick. So a steady lose would be lovely :)

I have had a rollercoaster of weight all my life.

Childhood - under weight
Teenage years - obese
Late teens - underweight
Early Twenties - obese
Mid twenties - goal weight
Late twenties - obese

Id like to break the cycle and be healthy for once! I have alot of bad habits, especially after a tough few years.

3 years ago I got close to my goal weight with weightwatchers and was really enjoying being active. Sadly my mum passed away and i developed depression and was diagnosed with PTSD, I ended up gaining all my weight back and then some. Ive been through CBT and Im in a good place mentally. Ive had a few setbacks recently with ill health recently (I have ulcerative colitis, B12 deficiency and constant kidney infections). So all in all its been a beep of a couple of years. But im sooo ready to curb my bad habits and lose weight in a healthy way.

After faffing around with weightwatchers and slimmingworld ive decided to give calorie counting a go. Never done this before.

So any tips or advice are welcome!

Would love to make some friends aswell :)

Replies

• HdezJ
    HdezJ Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hey Emily! First of all keep it up and secondly i know how you feel. I started eating whatever i wanted as long as i stay in a caloric deficit. Something that makes it easier is, if i cant count the calories i dont eat it.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Like you I tried pretty much everything and so far only calorie counting calories help. My issue is portion size and pre-logging everything I ate helped me learn both portion size and making better choices for myself. Good luck!
  • yangyee7
    yangyee7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    mariluny wrote: »
    Like you I tried pretty much everything and so far only calorie counting calories help. My issue is portion size and pre-logging everything I ate helped me learn both portion size and making better choices for myself. Good luck!

Pre-logging definitely helps!
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear @zy7877 you’ve been going through a hard time. You have to step up your active life “light active” won’t cut it
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    First all, well done you on hanging on in there through all the tough times.

Second of all, get yourself a food scale if you don't already have one, weigh out your food and log it :)
  • stef156
    stef156 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm restarting this and it sounds like we have very similar histories. I have colitis, RA, PTSD, etc just like you :( Would love to buddy up if you'd be interested?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    zy7877 wrote: »
    3 years ago I got close to my goal weight with weightwatchers and was really enjoying being active. Sadly my mum passed away and i developed depression and was diagnosed with PTSD...

This sounds like me, although I am much older than you. I was living with my boyfriend when he suddenly died of a heart attack. I became deeply depressed, developed PTSD (because I found him) and suffer from panic and anxiety attacks. Took me 3 years to get to a point where I was ready to totally resume my life and in the meantime, I gained back 20 pounds of the 50 I lost here on MFP. I am back to get myself under control and take back my life once and for all. Good luck!
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    zy7877 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I'm Emily and I'm 28 years old. Im a serial dieter and determined this time to stick at it.

Current weight - 14st 8lb
    Goal weight - 10st 7lb
    Height - 165cm
    Weekly goal - 1.5 pound a week
    Activity level - lightly active
    Daily calories - 1570

Main reasons for losing weight -

I have arthiritis in my knees, losing weight would improve this tenfold.
    Be healthly
    Feel good about myself again.

Ive set my weekly loss at 1.5lb to make it acheivable for me. I have a habit of going in all guns blazing and losing steam pretty quick. So a steady lose would be lovely :)

I have had a rollercoaster of weight all my life.

Childhood - under weight
    Teenage years - obese
    Late teens - underweight
    Early Twenties - obese
    Mid twenties - goal weight
    Late twenties - obese

Id like to break the cycle and be healthy for once! I have alot of bad habits, especially after a tough few years.

3 years ago I got close to my goal weight with weightwatchers and was really enjoying being active. Sadly my mum passed away and i developed depression and was diagnosed with PTSD, I ended up gaining all my weight back and then some. Ive been through CBT and Im in a good place mentally. Ive had a few setbacks recently with ill health recently (I have ulcerative colitis, B12 deficiency and constant kidney infections). So all in all its been a beep of a couple of years. But im sooo ready to curb my bad habits and lose weight in a healthy way.

After faffing around with weightwatchers and slimmingworld ive decided to give calorie counting a go. Never done this before.

So any tips or advice are welcome!

Would love to make some friends aswell :)

Good luck with your weight loss journey!! Your in the right headspace now and you will absolutely smash it! I find it really helps to log everything I eat and to continue to be mindful of what I am eating .. I am to eat two carb meals a day (like rice, potatoes, cous cous) I avoid bread and pasta, cut right back on alcohol and sugary drinks and food ..

You can do this!!!!