I Know Fad diets dont work

Options
and that quick fixes are bad, but they say they can be done if you need to lose like 10 lbs or something before a special occasion. I need to lose 10-15 lbs before Sept 10th.. any suggestions? Whether it's a fad diet or just changing what I eat to mostly protein from now until then, I'm open for suggestions. Of course I want to continue my weight loss journey in the healthy, slow and steady rate, after Sept 10th, but would like to lose 10-15 lbs before then if possible.

Replies

• RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Amputation?
    Ummm. Dehydrating yourself might get you half way there.
    It's really hard to recommend anything here without thinking how it may KILL YOU.

But good luck with that.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Tough luck. JK!
    Atkins diet works. Your body burns carbs for its primary energy source, so if you take them away, your body will burn your fat reserves.

But warning: It is not sustainable, and it is hard to maintain your weight loss.
  • Gabbylou22
    Gabbylou22 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It would depend how big you were at the start...
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    @Gabbylou22

True, the smaller you are, the harder it is to lose.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I did something called the british heart foundation diet years ago, its 3 days and I lost 10lb. I did put it back on and more in the weeks that followed though.

I would just start a normal healthy lifestyle, when you start out you often get big numbers in the first few weeks and you may not be far off 10lb, then you can keep it up afterwards too
  • Gabbylou22
    Gabbylou22 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @Gabbylou22

True, the smaller you are, the harder it is to lose.

Yes, however I still think 10-15 in less than a month is a bit far fetched :). 5 maybe..
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If you accept the fact that you're going to put it all back on again then 10lbs in 3 weeks is easily doable.

No faddy diets needed, simple starvation will do it! 500 calories or less a day plus exercise and you will lose a lot of weight.

But it won't stay off.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Why not try one of those shapewear thingies instead? :D
  • Nolynoelia20
    Options
    How tall are you & how much do u currently weigh???
    I am in ur same boat.. Im 5'2 & 150lbs.. I want to loose 10lbs before Sept 11th. I too wanted to loose it quickly but w/ the advise of everyone here, i decided that i would have to work hard & rely on losing inches instead of pounds. I still wanna loose that 10lbs but i realize that that is not a realistic goal. :explode: you Just need to work out 4-5 days per week for at least 20-30 mins and watch what you eat.
  • MommyTo2Girls
    Options
    How tall are you & how much do u currently weigh???
    I am in ur same boat.. Im 5'2 & 150lbs.. I want to loose 10lbs before Sept 11th. I too wanted to loose it quickly but w/ the advise of everyone here, i decided that i would have to work hard & rely on losing inches instead of pounds. I still wanna loose that 10lbs but i realize that that is not a realistic goal. :explode: you Just need to work out 4-5 days per week for at least 20-30 mins and watch what you eat.

I agree with this. Work out a lot and you will lose the weight/inches that you would like to lose in the next 3 weeks. I would concentrate on the inches instead of the lbs, because the inches are much more noticeable in how your clothes fit and such.

Working out and eating VERY healthy and lean foods will help you lose what you want, and keep it off. Instead of doing a fad diet which is a very quick fix and will mostly be put back on 10-fold.
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    thanks, I'll settle for inches, but that seems to be what I'm losing now.. inches not pounds... I was hoping for inches and a few pounds at least before the event.
  • ShannonMHS
    Options
    It's not a fad diet, but cut everything in half and drink tons of water and watch the carbs, under 40 gram per day. That's Atkins in a nutshell. Even sugars from fruits and starchy vegetables can put on weigh if you eat too much. Eat when you're hungry but when you eat make sure you're eating mostly protein ... hard-boiled eggs, lean meats, pork, beef, chicken and fish are great in medium sized portions. Atkins advised eating all the protein you want, but I don't think that's very healthy. Also have a small salad mostly the greens, no adds like crutons or high carb veggies with a red wine vin. Nuts are a great source of protein but watch the carbs. It will take 10 pounds off in two weeks but it's too hard to maintain mainly because we all love our carbs!! Good luck and be smart with this, please! :)
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You could try the Master Cleanse, if you're into compromising your immune system and gaining back the weight (and possibly more) when you start eating again.

Other than the fad diet, I recommend what others have recommended in this thread: work out a lot.

As a matter of fact, MFP tells me that I'll lose 10 lbs. by September 19th if I continue my current fitness program. So, it is possible if you work hard!