Lack of Motivation

Options
Where do you find your motivation? I feel like I have been restarting since April and can’t seem to stick with it. I’m always too tired to workout, eat great during the week and spiral on the weekends. How can I change my mindset?

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you've set reasonable goals for yourself. If you try to cut your calories too much too quickly you can rebound and overeat. If you try to exercise too much too fast you can get hurt or just tired. Maybe start more gradually?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The reply above is excellent.
    The idea of motivation carrying you on its gentle hands - that is the mindset you have to change.

I would also dig deeper into "eat great" - sure you don't feel a little bit cheated?
    And into "workout" - do you feel you have to go to the gym, or do specific, planned activity in order for it to count as exercise?
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options

TavistockToad ... Thank You!! read both. I'm really struggling with exercise. I have always struggled with it. Don't like it, don't do it. I KNOW I have to do it in order to succeed and this time, I really really want to succeed. But still, major struggle getting off the ground with exercise.
    As I said, I read both. Not much I didn't already know BUT ... one phrase significantly caught my attention. I'm going to make it my catchphrase and keep repeating it as needed ...
    FIRST, you have to start!

For some reason, that resonates with me. Thank you.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    cesse47 wrote: »

TavistockToad ... Thank You!! read both. I'm really struggling with exercise. I have always struggled with it. Don't like it, don't do it. I KNOW I have to do it in order to succeed and this time, I really really want to succeed. But still, major struggle getting off the ground with exercise.
    As I said, I read both. Not much I didn't already know BUT ... one phrase significantly caught my attention. I'm going to make it my catchphrase and keep repeating it as needed ...
    FIRST, you have to start!

For some reason, that resonates with me. Thank you.

You don't HAVE to exercise, you can lose weight by monitoring your diet alone. All that is required for weight loss is a calorie deficit (eat less than you burn). Of course exercise has other health benefits, and can allow you to eat more, but don't let the thought of having to exercise overwhelm you or prevent you from doing what is necessary.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Cesse, what do you think of as exercise? Part of the problem may be you are trying to do something that just isn't "you". There are so many forms of exercise out there that maybe if you change up your methods you will find something you don't hate and can consistently add into your day.

-My parents run, dad has started running half marathons in his 50s! I think he is crazy, but that is what he enjoys.
    -My hubby sits on a stationary bike and pedals for hours on end. I tried that and HATED it, could always find excuses not to do it each day. Was not successful while attempting this.
    -I found my success in exercise videos, and do a variety of routines to make sure i'm hitting each area of my body at least once a week.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I try not to make exceptions because then it's so easy for those exceptions to become the rule. For instance, if I've laid out a workout plan for the week and I tell myself, "I'll skip just this day and resume tomorrow," then it becomes easier to skip tomorrow as well because I've already made an exception. Before I know it the week is over and I haven't done any of the workouts I set out to do. The exception, so many times, becomes the rule. Real progress is made when you exercise even though you'd absolutely 100% rather not.

It's very difficult, and I'm always working on it, but I try to never think about working out. I just do it. I know what I have to do, so why think on it? The thinking is what delays, it stalls you. During that thinking and mulling it over you're only going to come up with excuses for why not to do it. So I literally just cease the thinking and then go through the motions of putting on my exercise gear, getting out the weights, or walking to the gym, etc.

TLDR:
    Don't make exceptions and
    Don't think about exercising, just do
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    What motivated me was my clothes starting to get tight and knowing I don't have the money (nor the inclination) to buy larger ones. After that, it's sheer determination.

I tried coming back here 2 times before....and failed both times. I wasn't ready. This time, I am. You just KNOW when its right.

• Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this because the thing I lack most is PATIENCE. I want it go faster than it does. I need to keep reminding myself that I didn't put weight on in a day so I can't take it off any faster either. Also life happens and I need to deal with the off day here and there by not going too far off track. Thank you all for your thoughts.
  • runnergirl089
    runnergirl089 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Like others said find an exercise you enjoy so you'll want to do it. Maybe switch up your workout times where you'll be less tired. I find that I am more likely to workout if I plan to do it in the morning. I have to really push myself to do it after work.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this because the thing I lack most is PATIENCE. I want it go faster than it does. I need to keep reminding myself that I didn't put weight on in a day so I can't take it off any faster either. Also life happens and I need to deal with the off day here and there by not going too far off track. Thank you all for your thoughts.

Can you think of it not as "losing weight" or "dieting" but as gradually changing your daily habits to find a happy new routine that gets you to a healthy weight, then keeps you there permanently?

Eat foods you like, just somewhat less of them, and focus on what's filling. Sometimes it's easier to think in terms of what to add to one's eating (like "more veggies", "whole grains", "home-prepared foods"), then letting less yummy/useful things drop away, vs. thinking of giving up a laundry list of things. Think about moving more throughout the day, including finding activities that are fun and involve moving more, not about "doing exercise" per se, necessarily. And so on.

When external circumstances don't prevent it, life should be enjoyable. Don't impose unnecessary unhappiness/discomfort on yourself. Find ways to accomplish your health and weight goals that are sustainable and enjoyable for you.

Here are a couple of threads that I started to help with some of these things; maybe they might help you:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Where do you find your motivation? I feel like I have been restarting since April and can’t seem to stick with it. I’m always too tired to workout, eat great during the week and spiral on the weekends. How can I change my mindset?

I don't have much motivation. I had to make changes to my lifestyle for health reasons, and it was very hard at first, especially when I tried to restrict what I was eating. That didn't work. I take it day by day, and having more energy, a stabilised mood, and steady weight loss are all positives I want to keep. That doesn't mean I don't binge sometimes or eat optimally all the time. I don't know if you're restricting foods or have this idea of 'cheating' when you reach for less nutritious foods at the weekend. As long as you don't go over your calories you can eat what you want.

You don't have to exercise, but if you do, find some activity you enjoy doing. Walking, dancing, swimming, boxercise, doing cartwheels in the park, playing softball, heck, even kiss chase, it doesn't matter as long as you find it enjoyable, and it might spur you to do exercises with a bit more structure a bit later down the line.

Try to keep this experience as stressless as possible. If you want to have more structure with food at weekends, try prelogging your favorites so you can indulge within your calorie totals. Try and make this a fun process. Have a disco in your living room, and enjoy what you're eating.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    For me it is about making logging the food a habit. It takes time and work, but I'm doing it to improve my health. The key is to start and eventually it will become a habit that requires very little discipline to maintain.
  • sandracornejo
    sandracornejo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You all are wonderful thank you 😭