When to exercise in a week day?

Options
When would you exercise in a weekday if you wake up at 5:30am to go to work and get back at 6:30pm. Ideally I would hit the treadmill as soon as I get home but kids are hungry so we eat dinner. So i'm stuck between straight after dinner or late night or very early morning? What would you do?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It mostly comes down to personal preference. Since you can't have your most desired spot, think about what the next best thing would be for you.
  • 6raham
    6raham Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I used to late at night before bed after dinner and when I had put the kids to bed, I found it tough to sleep afterwards and would need some down time to relax before going to sleep. So i changed to make sure I got to bed earlier and got up earlier to workout in the morning, even half an hour earlier to what you would normally wake is enough time to get 20 minutes of cardio in and I feel it makes my day go really well.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    apatel1 wrote: »
    What would you do?

I'd work out whenever it fit my schedule best.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you... there is not inherently better time, so it's just about you, your schedule, and your own preferences.

Personally, my order of preference goes
    1 - Lunch Break
    2 - Early morning, before work
    3 - Late night, after kids are in bed
    4 - Late afternoon/early evening, after work but before dinner
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    For the past two weeks, I've done one pull up during work on upper body day whenever I pass by the monkey bars at the playground, that is usually enough to have me sore for days lol.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Mon. & Wed.: I go to gym at 4pm.
    Thursdays: I go to the gym at 6am.
    Sat & Sun: I go to the gym at 8:30am.

That's just how it works with my schedule.

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    6raham wrote: »
    I used to late at night before bed after dinner and when I had put the kids to bed, I found it tough to sleep afterwards and would need some down time to relax before going to sleep. So i changed to make sure I got to bed earlier and got up earlier to workout in the morning, even half an hour earlier to what you would normally wake is enough time to get 20 minutes of cardio in and I feel it makes my day go really well.

This is not unusual:
    https://trainright.com/cant-sleep-hard-workout-race/

It seems to be less pronounced when it is just a normal workout. I am a light sleeper and prone to insomnia when there is ongoing stress or I am taking certain meds or have too much caffeine (even early in the day), so even the less pronounced effect can keep me awake a while.
  • apatel1
    apatel1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, great suggestions. I can't really play with the dinner schedule or take time out during work. I'll probably try getting half an hour in the morning by getting up at 5am. I'm not sure if I can keep that up, if it doesn't work out I'll try around 8pm, I did that in the past a bit and found it actually helped my sleep, problem was I was pretty tired by that time so sometimes gave up half way through.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    whatever works for YOU.

im up between 3-4 am every day. im at the gym after my son gets on the bus for school or if schools out, around 7. go back home and get to work (i work from home)

if someone told me to go after dinner id tell them to sod off, im going to BED! lolol
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    For me, I am fortunate that I get home usually around 5 or a little before, so I have more time in the evenings than you do. An hour and a half is a huge difference when it comes to those few hours you get in the evenings to be with your family. I usually make dinner first, then work out. Last night there was some event at my older sons school so I didn't get to workout until 7:30 or so which was really late for me. My husband is home to watch our 2 year old, but he often wants to come down to the basement with me. He has toys down there.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    give the kids a snack and workout after work and then enjoy your family dinner.

Meh this wouldn't work for me. Especially coming home at 6:30, that's a long time to make everyone wait to eat dinner. Plus my toddler is ravenous right after getting home from daycare and needs a meal.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I work out after dinner, so I make sure I eat light (hey look, leftovers for lunch) and snag a snack when I get back.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'd exercise in the evening after dinner unless you go to bed earlier when you get up to exercise at 5 am.
    I try to walk in the morning but don't have to wake up early to do it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have better productivity in the afternoon if I get some exercise in at lunch. I used to take a longer lunch a few days a week and work later or take shorter lunches other days.

(Now I work from home so it is really easy to exercise at lunch time.)
  • stacimarie1015
    stacimarie1015 Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    apatel1 wrote: »
    When would you exercise in a weekday if you wake up at 5:30am to go to work and get back at 6:30pm. Ideally I would hit the treadmill as soon as I get home but kids are hungry so we eat dinner. So i'm stuck between straight after dinner or late night or very early morning? What would you do?

You have to figure out what works for YOU. There is no right answer. I don't always eat WITH the family but then my kids are older.

I leave for work about 6:25am. Leave work @ 5pm. I sometimes (not often) leave the house about an hour early and work out a gym a little past halfway to work. More often, I go after work but before picking my daughter up from band practice at 7:30pm. We eat dinner around 8 or 8:30 pm. That works for us because daughter has band practice, son gets home from college classes around 7:30 or 8:30 pm depending on the day, and hubby gets home around 8:30 or 9pm.

I also go Saturdays, and some Sunday mornings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My wife and I swap cooking and other domestic responsibilities during the week so that we can get our rides/runs/workouts in. We each only workout a couple of times during the work week and make sure it's a point of emphasis on the weekends.

When I was doing more actual training for events and whatnot, I used my lunch break a lot to get in the extra work. on the bike. I've actually been thinking about going back to that...I love a good ride, but sometimes after work I have to kinda force myself to get on the road rather than cracking open a cold beer and enjoying my patio views.
  • roma49
    roma49 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I get up early to fit a walk in before I go to work ~ I know if I left it till evening time I'd find any excuse to put it off, do what works for you
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    With that situation I would do 2 long (hour or longer) workouts on Saturdays and Sundays and figure out one weekday workout, like an evening class or a lunch time workout.