Low blood pressure

Options
I had a checkup today with my doctor and I have very low blood pressure. Some of my meds lower my bp so we are tweaking that, weaning me off one and possibly lowering the other one. So now I have to monitor my bp daily to see what happens. Yeah!!! And I know this sounds bad but I have to eat more salt 😫. I guess we’ll see what will happen.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Eating more salt doesn't sound so bad. I have postural hypotension. Having more salt reduces the number of incidents. Good to be getting off the medications!
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks, good to know.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Salt is only a bad thing for a very small percentage of the population. Most people can eat salt no problem. Others, like you and me, need to eat more salt. Bring on the salt!

It's especially easy to get more sodium if you are cooking Asian recipes that use fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, or all three at once like in Pad See Ew.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I also have low blood pressure and was told to eat more salt.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have low BP, and I sweat a lot, so I eat extra salt. I enjoy it.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Another one with low blood pressure and higher salt requirements.

My body will tell me post haste if I've been eating too little salt by making me dizzy as hell.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I'm low end of normal.
    It only becomes a problem if I am in really hot weather and exerting myself. I carry Emergen-C just in case. (Yes I know there are lots more options out now, but I have a stash)

I dislike salt, don't cook with it, have had problems in restaurants because of it. And look for low salt in crisps, etc-and still can't eat a full small bag.

Cheers, h.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    Wow didn’t realize so many had low blood pressure. Thanks for the encouragement. I feel so much better now.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have POTS and very low bp. The POTS meds lower it even further - it usually is 80-60. But I feel fine in fact. I eat a lot of salt but for some reason all my experiments to eat even more salt on occasion have resulted in absolutely no change for my bp. I don't know why. I keep eating it because I like very salty food. But for me it doesn't seem to make a difference. Hopefully it'll help you.

ETA: I love drinking tomato juice with huge amounts of salt and some pepper. Try it if you haven't.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I have POTS and very low bp. The POTS meds lower it even further - it usually is 80-60. But I feel fine in fact. I eat a lot of salt but for some reason all my experiments to eat even more salt on occasion have resulted in absolutely no change for my bp. I don't know why. I keep eating it because I like very salty food. But for me it doesn't seem to make a difference. Hopefully it'll help you.

ETA: I love drinking tomato juice with huge amounts of salt and some pepper. Try it if you haven't.

Thanks never thought of the tomato juice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    1/2 C of Cabot no fat cottage cheese has 17% of the RDA of sodium.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    1/2 C of Cabot no fat cottage cheese has 17% of the RDA of sodium.

Unfortunately I don’t like cottage cheese
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure is on the lower side of normal as well - 100/60. I also try to keep my sodium levels a little higher. I usually have a few pickles a day and break out the salt shaker.
  • BachataDancer
    BachataDancer Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Low BP too and it only bothers me when I'm trying to exercise so I drink electrolyte drinks and I love v8 juice. High in sodium and vitamin C!