shift workers...

Options
I am a shift worker and when I am on evenings ( 1530 to 2330) I feel like I'm burning the candle at both ends as a typical day for me starts at 0630 (whether I'm working or not) I am looking for food suggestions or any strategies to help satisfy my appetite for those exceptionally long days. I try not to eat after 2000 (8pm), but my tummy starts saying foul things and I struggle with the urges to snack unnecessarily....Help!

Replies

• pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Are you breaking down your calories so you can have 5-6 small meals/snacks? I find when I am on nights its best for me to bring my food portioned out so I can have something every 2-3 hours. And don't worry if you have to eat after 8. Having a small snack a while before bed isn't going to kill you. Just keep to your calorie allotment for the day.
  • Lamemind
    Lamemind Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I work similar hours at times and I depend on lots of water. I found gum makes things worse. Just drink that water up and stay busy :)
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Protein apparently helps keep you full longer.
    Whole wheat pasta's nice and heavy, too.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm not a shift worker but my work day is usually very crammed with little time to eat. (Three days a week this fall I will be in class from 9:30 AM - 3:30 PM with no break longer than 10 minutes and two 90 min. blocks where I can't even get water.) I would encourage the lots of small meal route already mentioned. As long as you get a balance of nutrients (i.e. get your protein!) this may help keep hunger at bay. I think the drink lots of water advice is also sound. I still remember in college my senior year (my Dean's List year) that I gave up on caffeine for late night studying and just drank lots of water. I never risked the crash that sugar and caffeine can cause and I wasn't as hungry if I was drinking as much water as I could hold. (Without, you know, peeing every 3 minutes.)
  • Tanyabear_
    Tanyabear_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I work overnights as well. There are so many times when I have been up all day before work, making me get lasy when it comes to bringing something to eat. Often I get fed at work, something healthy, but if not it is hard to stay away from those favorite not good for you convieient snack foods. Bump....