Weight gain but in calories

Options
Hi I had a chinese last night, chicken chowmain and one satay chicken skewer. My whole day allownece came to 50 cals over.
Weighed myself this morning and have put on 3.5lbs! :( gutted as been good the rest of time, is this normal?!

Replies

• harrietlavinia
    harrietlavinia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice , didn't think of all the sodium
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I agree with the sodium contributing to the higher reading on the scale. I am always up 3 or 4 pounds after a sushi with soy sauce.

It should come off over the next few days. Don't fret too much, just continue with your normal routine.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    As the above posters said, don't worry too much about it :)
  • Illyrien
    Illyrien Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Its nothing to worry about, its just damned annoying.

I weight daily, as part of my morning routine, and these temporary peaks are pretty normal. I seem them every time I eat a pizza. Usually it means a weight gain of 2-3 pounds and last about 3 days before its back down to normal.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's water retention, likely from the high salt content, or just food weight still if you ate late. It'll come off in a day or two.

There's no way that's going to be fat gain unless you've been in a decent sized calorie surplus for a while. If you've been in a deficit the rest of the time you've probably even lost fat, it's just a case of the salt playing a part.

I personally weigh once a week (Sat morning) and try and not eat high salt foods the day before. If I do, I weigh on the Sunday.
  • harrietlavinia
    harrietlavinia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, much appreciated. I don't officially weigh until a Friday, so I shouldn't have stepped on scales but I did! Oh well, hopefully better result tomorrow. Drinking lots of water and carrying on with healthy eating
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yep, like everyone else has already stated, most likely water retention due to high sodium.

FYI, many trainers or at least the ones that I have had recommend a weekly weigh-in. This should be done on the same day and time. If in private do the weigh-in nude so your clothing can not affect your weight. You can do that elsewhere but it may be frowned upon by some.

Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    Keep weighing yourself daily and you'll better understand the fluctuations that happen. I can "gain" three pounds on a hot day, even if I eat under my calorie goal.

The actual gains don't happen overnight, either. Give it three days and this will drop back off. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I agree to weigh yourself daily for a while to get accustomed to what normal body weight fluctuations are like. Especially for a woman.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Awesome article about water weight fluctuations. Check it out.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself daily and using a trend app like Happy Scale (iOS) or Libra (Android). This will help you understand daily fluctuations, but will also give you a smooth trend line so you can see how much your weight is actually changing over time.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Try weighing yourself daily and using a trend app like Happy Scale (iOS) or Libra (Android). This will help you understand daily fluctuations, but will also give you a smooth trend line so you can see how much your weight is actually changing over time.

Or www.trendweight.com for a web based one.

And yeah, up 3 lbs from Chinese is pretty common.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, much appreciated. I don't officially weigh until a Friday, so I shouldn't have stepped on scales but I did! Oh well, hopefully better result tomorrow. Drinking lots of water and carrying on with healthy eating

so if you mentally can take it, and the tracking apps mentioned can help - you either weigh frequently to see and know the fact there are daily, and for you monthly, water weight fluctuations.

Or only weigh on valid days to minimize known ways to get them:
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.