Shift Work and Weight Loss

Options
I am a student nurse and have just started back on placement which involves 12.5 hour shifts - both days and nights.

Before placement I was losing 2lb a week on average. Since starting placement my weight has stuck and even went up one week. NOTHING else has changed. I am still logging and coming in under or at my calorie allowance.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on?

Replies

• saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Stress? Dehydration leading to fluid retention. I’m a nurse and don’t drink enough at work then retain fluid. If you’re not used to the physical activity there could be some return of fluid due to muscle use. Constipation if you’re dehydrated.

Maybe just a normal fluctuation, weight loss is not linear. How many weeks have you been on placement with no loss?
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    2 and a half weeks so not long. You could be right about the fluid. I drink far more when I am at home. Thanks.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    there is a pretty significant body of research that correlates poor/bad sleep with negatively influencing weight loss - the best you can try to do on your days off is sleep as well as you can