What’s your take on Multi-Vitamins?

Replies

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    I take one (women's multi) because of known health issues and deficiencies. Also D3 on top of that by doctor's orders.
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    If you have a medically diagnosed vitamin deficiency multi-vitamins is understandable. Otherwise most people just waste money and the placebo effect reinforces their bias to it's benefits. Most take them as "insurance" for future issues or because the listed potential benefits outweigh any risk factors.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    I don't take anything. I feel like I eat a pretty well balanced, diverse diet with plenty of vegetables and fruit, so I don't know that it would be necessary for me. I have not noticed any symptoms that would lead me to believe I'm deficient in anything. When I took a health exam for life insurance, the lady acted so surprised that I didn't take any vitamins, so it makes me wonder if I should.

The only thing I've considered is omega 3 fish oil. I've heard that recommended for everyone so many times, and I do not eat fish like, ever. But I've consulted dr. google and I'm not sure if that's necessary either.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    elysahan wrote: »
    Hey MFP Fam!

What do you think of Multi-Vitamins? Are they an important part of your health and wellness journey and if yes, what do you take? And if no, why not?

A balanced diet is the important part of maintaining health and wellness, and random combinations of multivitamins are not going to replace healthy eating habits. If there is a deficiency, I trust my dr to prescribe whatever supplement is needed.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Just a Vit D3 supplement because I'm deficient.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I take B12 and Vitamin D, only because I have a deficiency. Tried the multi vitamin, that didn't help with either. Tried the pill form of both B12 and Vitamin D, that didn't work. I have to take liquid form of both to get my levels to a normal range.

Does it hurt to take the multi vitamin, probably not.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    dr called it expensive pee. i listen to my dr
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member
    I don't take a multi because I like more control over the forms and quantities of the various vitamins and minerals. You only get "prevent deficiency" amounts in multis. I'm anemic and learned from experience that the particular form of iron makes a difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    My diet is pretty solid...I don't take a multi vitamin. I do take 2000 IU of D3 because I was defficient (had to take more at first) and 2000 IU maintains my D levels.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Yes...... Because I have a malabsorption problem
    I take a multi, a vitamin d/calcium and b12 injections
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I don't take vitamins or supplements. Why not? Because they are unregulated, how do you know how much you are really getting

Some supplements are tested & verified by an independent lab, particularly USP & NSF. Their websites list the supplements they've verified.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Nope. Unless you have a medically proven deficiency.
    Otherwise you’ve just got expensive pee.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I take a multi because I know I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables or fish. I also take iron because I get anemic when I don't.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    I do not take a multi vitamin - as long as diet is reasonably healthy I do not think it is neccesary.

I do take iron tablet because history of mild anaemia.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    elysahan wrote: »
    Hey MFP Fam!

What do you think of Multi-Vitamins? Are they an important part of your health and wellness journey and if yes, what do you take? And if no, why not?

I take a multi-vitamin sometimes. Most of the time I forget to take it. I started taking it because I felt maybe I wasn't getting enough of something through my diet.
    I would not spend a lot of money on such a thing. I just have a store brand multi-vitamin.
  • Giantorange
    Giantorange Posts: 6 Member
    Unless you have a deficiency, it will just give you more expensive pee.