Trying to reduce sodium intake

Options
Since I'm not home a lot I tend to just buy frozen and other processed foods so they won't expire before I'm able to eat them. I've recently become more mindful of sodium intake and I'm just absolutely shocked at how much sodium is hidden in everything. Items like whole grain rice from 'Uncle Ben's' have 600mg+ of sodium per serving and one would assume since it's whole grain it would be healthier for you. I know the food itself and the preservatives are two entirely different things, but it's hard to eat fresh and whole foods given my situation.

This is just crazy!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Batch cook and freeze, simple
  • dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There is even salt in packaged spinach an kale due to the fact its washed in salt.

When reading labels make sure to account for the number of servings as well since it may seem low though once you start adding the servings its insane.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Tonera98 wrote: »
    Since I'm not home a lot I tend to just buy frozen and other processed foods so they won't expire before I'm able to eat them. I've recently become more mindful of sodium intake and I'm just absolutely shocked at how much sodium is hidden in everything. Items like whole grain rice from 'Uncle Ben's' have 600mg+ of sodium per serving and one would assume since it's whole grain it would be healthier for you. I know the food itself and the preservatives are two entirely different things, but it's hard to eat fresh and whole foods given my situation.

This is just crazy!

Sodium is not unhealthy for healthy individuals. It is in fact unhealthy to eat very low sodium if you are otherwise healthy.

It is only bad for people with hypertension. I have low blood pressure and higher sodium is healthier for me than lower sodium.

Why do you try to eat low sodium if I might ask?
  • Tonera98
    Tonera98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Why do you try to eat low sodium if I might ask?

Well, I want to lower my chances of high blood pressure. I've never had a problem with it before but it doesn't hurt to start building habits for a healthier lifestyle. I also read that it deals with bloating and fluid retention, which is something I want to avoid as I lose weight. I'm easily hitting 1,500-2,000mg+ on a daily basis with my diet as is, which is pushing the daily recommended amount by the AHA.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by not being home much? Are you traveling out of town most days of the week? Or working long hours? Something else?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    1500-2000 mg is fine
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are consuming a healthy level of sodium now if your logging is accurate. Does high BP run in your family?