Should I do weight training or not?

Options
Hello everyone☺ Im new on the lifting area. I used to workout at home doing some insanity workouts or running on treadmill. I got a gym membership a week ago, my goal is to lift weights to get tonner thighs and gluteus with out getting bigger 🙃 I am a shorty 5'2" and I already have big things and buns too. I dont want them to get bigger just burn the fat and gain muscle, lifting weights have always catch my attention I feel its something I want to do☺ Im just over thinking what if it doesn't burn the fat on my thighs and it just make them bigger😕 Im confused

Replies

• FariasMomOf3
    FariasMomOf3 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Here a photo☺
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Here a photo☺

You look great. Up to you, I guess.

I've been lifting heavy for 4 years. (Really heavy. 385 lb deadlift) My profile pic shows what I look like. Also, see the thread I linked above.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Great read about women getting "bulky" here: https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/strength-training/heavy-bulky/
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I've yet to encounter anyone who's said "I wish I'd never gotten into lifting". In fact, I often find it's the opposite statement of "I wish I started doing this sooner" (myself included).

Truth.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've yet to encounter anyone who's said "I wish I'd never gotten into lifting". In fact, I often find it's the opposite statement of "I wish I started doing this sooner" (myself included).

Truth.

BTW @quiksylver296 - i LOVE the new profile pic!
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Truth.

BTW @quiksylver296 - i LOVE the new profile pic!

Awww, thanks. (Me, too ;) )
  • FariasMomOf3
    Options
    Here a photo☺

You look great. Up to you, I guess.

I've been lifting heavy for 4 years. (Really heavy. 385 lb deadlift) My profile pic shows what I look like. Also, see the thread I linked above.

Thank you😊 and wow you do lift heavy😃 you look amazing 💪
  • FariasMomOf3
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Women who get "big" train for years to get that way and eat in a surplus. If you think you would enjoy weight training, do it! Building muscle is so important for good health, and can leave you with an improved shape when you get to goal weight. And often the parts we think are "big" on ourselves, no one else sees that way.

I will add, nothing will "burn fat on your thighs". You can't spot reduce, the fat will come off in the order your body is genetically programmed to burn it.

ETA: Just saw your pic. Yeah, you don't have big thighs. If you'd prefer them to be smaller, that's between you, your DNA, and the universe but they aren't "big".

Thank you for your advice 😊 I appreciated
  • FariasMomOf3
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Great read about women getting "bulky" here: https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/strength-training/heavy-bulky/

Wow thank you awesome article☺
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I’m 5”2 and considered my legs to be on the thick side for my height. I got into lifting 2 years ago & have no regrets.
  • FariasMomOf3
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I just want to clarify, you say you don't want your legs/glutes to get bigger but you say want to lose fat and gain muscle. Just confused at that. Also, are you trying to lose weight or maintain your weight, what are your stats?

The thing is if you start losing weight without lifting, you will definitely lose more muscle vs if you were lifting, and what you might be left with will not be so toned or defined. So I would highly recommend you start lifting if you plan on eating in a deficit.

Keep in mind when you start you might find your larger muscles hold on to more water, and you may gain some muscle in a deficit but it is typically not very significant and something to worry about.

Now if you want to maintain and recomp, your plan of action might be different since you can build some muscle in maintenance. Again it won't be super quick so you will kind of have time to modify if you find things are not going in the direction you had planned.

Yes I will like to maintain, or if I lose 2-5 lbs I will not get mad😅 lol. I just dont want to gain weight 😏 thats why I want to gain muscle but burn some fat too the way I dont get heavier. Thank you for your well explained advice 😉 I appreciated it.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to find what is the “right” exercise for them..I enjoy lifting for the mental benefits far more than the physical..it clears my head once I am all said and done.

For what it’s worth your legs look proportionate to me..not “big”.

Either way best of luck if you chose lifting as your main source of “fitness”..I love it!
  • Valentinogomez
    Valentinogomez Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with lifting a bit of heavy weight best thing thats ever happened to me!